How to clean a compensator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lg2011

How to clean a compensator

Post by lg2011 »

Hello,
My 84e and FP60's compensators are accumulating powder residues. Its almost blocking the barrell. How do you guys remove and clean them?
Lg2011.
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

I stopped using the Morini-made compensator on my CM-84e for reason of fouling and lack of score improvement.
I cannot be of much specific help, but there seems to be a special reamer for cleaning the compensator's main bores.

To remove: the front sight may hide a grub screw holding the compensator. You may need some "persuation" to remove the compensator. I was amazed how quick the thing was stuck just after a few hundred shots.

Remounting: pay attention to the front sight position. Speaking from memory: I used a setup on a flat surface (table top), filler block under receiver end (no grip) and a try square; checked compensator's flat bottom position before and after removing.

Greetings Hans.
lg2011

Post by lg2011 »

I find that long compensator is a bit heavy so I switched to the shorter one and it had improved my score. What are you using now?
Lg2011
J.Hoes

Post by J.Hoes »

I switched back to the original tube/ sight carrier.
The comp model I have is the old model, as shown here: http://morini.ch/product_det.php?id=7

You may find some additional, older information here: http://ttorg.targettalk.net/viewtopic.php?p=47860
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=8539

My scores are in higher 400's, so the comp will not make any difference.

Greetings Hans.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My Morini came with the compensator extended so that is would "compensate". After a lengthy battle trying to clean it a few times, I gave up on the extra inch or two of sight radius & moved it back so it no longer extends past the muzzle. I never noticed a drop in my scores, and I sure don't miss trying to keep it clean.

If you absolutely want to use it, I would invest in an ultrasonic cleaner. That's the only thing I can think of that MIGHT make cleaning it easier.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

This post is too old to be in the archives, I think, but the process works for me:
Posted by John Wolfe on October 15, 2002 at 17:41:17:
In Reply to: Morini CM84E compensator posted by Peter Bentsen on October 14, 2002 at 02:45:09:
Cleaning is not a real problem. Just soak the compensator in a 50 / 50 solution of peroxide and vinegar over night. I have used this on my Steyr FP, very easy. The time required depends on the buildup. It take me only 6 hours to clean the Steyr after 400 rounds of shooting. I have not had any problems with sight alignment changing when removing the front sight for cleaning.

Posted by JP O'Connor on October 14, 2002 at 17:46:20:
In Reply to: Morini CM84E compensator posted by Peter Bentsen on October 14, 2002 at 02:45:09:
: Hi all
: Does anyone have experience with the compensator for the Morini CM84E free pistol?
: Does it work, and how well? Or is it a waste of money?
: Thanks in advance
: Peter
--
A year ago, Daryl Szarenski told me that on his Morini free pistol, the compensator did improve accuracy. How much I don't know - enough that he uses one. However, he also said it gunks up quickly (~100 rounds) and he cleans it after every firing. YMMV.
JP

Posted by Steve Swartz on October 15, 2002 at 17:23:43:
In Reply to: Re: Morini CM84E compensator posted by mako on October 15, 2002 at 12:36:09:
Well allright, I guess I have to take an opposing viewpoint- so unusual for me, I know!
Yes Mako, but another way to state the same exact data is to say:
"ALL the top shooters WHO USE THE MORINI also use the compensator."
Same thing, stated a different way. I don't think there are any "Top Shooters" using the Morini without the compensator??? I could be wrong.
Darrel tested the compensator vs. non compensator at the AMU for (IIRC) over 100 rounds and found the compensator decreased group size by 25-35%.
I don't knowhow "scientific" this test is, but it sure beats firing 10 rounds into two groups and measuring extreme spread.
This might be slight for some people . . . but note that the only person who has actually tested the device for a large number of rounds is still using it. In spite of the "hassle."
So far, everyone who has given up on it have not claimed to have performed any substantive testing.
Maybe Repich needs to conduct some factory tests and report back to the group?
Steve

Posted by John Wolfe on October 16, 2002 at 21:27:35:
In Reply to: Re: Morini CM84E compensator posted by Stan Pace on October 16, 2002 at 18:27:16:
I remove the steel screws and let the compensator soak. I have not seen any problem with the finish. I was told to do this by Buddy Duvall. The front sight/compensator holder is anidized alluminum, the compensator is blued steel. This was less tramatic to the parts than cleaning and wire burshing. Daryl Szarenski was told to use streight peroxide by the USMU gun smiths. We are using the standard hydrogen peroxide you buy over the counter. I found the vinegar boosts the process.
John also told me he uses white vinegar.

HTH

Stan

P.S. I miss seeing posts from John and Steve.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

vinegar might be OK on unblued parts, but WILL remove blued finish - I use white vinegar (followed by steam cleaning) to remove bluing and it is VERY effective!
Steve_aus

Re: How to clean a compensator

Post by Steve_aus »

I recently purchased a second hand CM84E that looked like it had never been cleaned. The Morini sight extension tube had over 1mm thickness of powder residue built up inside it and the unused thread tapping under the foresight was full to the top with rock solid residue. You could not even mark it with a hard plastic scraper.

Having read this thread (thanks Targettalk), I soaked the extension tube in a 2 litre bucket with 100ml of household vinegar and 100ml of 6% peroxide solution from the chemist. Immediately the residue started floating to the surface. 5 hours later I checked it and it had stopped reacting, there was still a slight amount of residue left, so it must have consumed the peroxide and vinegar active components. I refreshed the solution and 2 hours later, it was sparkling clean. I did use a small brush in the threads but except for that, no physical contact at all, the chemicals did all the work.

It has not harmed the anodising at all, but having read Spencer's warning above, I did then clean it in household dishwashing liquid, dry it, then coat it in Anshutz Keramiccoat before reinstalling the foresight and mounting it on the gun.

I hope that this post is helpful to someone else!

Steve
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Remember, when you clean leading with vinegar and peroxide you make lead acetate. This is extremely toxic, much more toxic than the lead itself. It should be disposed of as hazardous waste. Most cities in the US have toxic waste disposal sites where you can take old paint and other chemicals for proper disposal. Never handle the used cleaning solution without gloves, since the lead can be absorbed through your skin.

It can be made somewhat less toxic by mixing the cleaning solution with a very strong table salt solution. Mix an equal amount of water as cleaning solution with as much table salt as will dissolve in it. Then, carefully mix the salt solution into the cleaning solution. The lead acetate will precipitate out as lead chloride salt. Since that's not soluble in water, it's much less likely to cause health issues.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

bill-nye-meme-3.png
bill-nye-meme-3.png (86.31 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
Rover

Post by Rover »

And Groppi can also make pasta sauce!
joel

Post by joel »

On my Steyr, I remove it and drop it into a small container of Hoppe's. I let it sit for about a day or 2 and then the lead drops off as I lift it up. If there is a stubborn spot, I use a brush to clean it off. I had an additional compensator made form titanium and I believe that this helps to release the lead. Also, I clean the compensator after every shooting session to stay on top of the problem. Many Steyr shooters just leave the piece out, but I prefer to use it.

Hope this helps Leo,

Joel
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

The issue of avoiding the buildup was covered in this recent thread:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48514

Seems welding anti-spatter spray is the simple way to go.

I never did get a response from Loctite about their Ceramishield.

Bob
bruce em

Post by bruce em »

could play a propane torch on it for a few seconds; the deposits soften up nicely

regards