Morini CM84 Compensator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ernie Rodriguez

Morini CM84 Compensator

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Need info-Is the morini (m271?) compensator heavier than the std sight holder?Does it require a lower front sight?What is the height of the std front sight?Does the M271 comp come with or need instructions?Thanks all.Erod
WSmith

Morini 84E compensator ...

Post by WSmith »

Ernie: The basic 84E sight holder provides the option of being set as far back so as to be flush with the barrel crow, thereby allowing the shooter to adjust its' perceived weight/balance. The compensator however, has a fixed mounting position, allowing you to only choose your front blade placement/sight radius.

When either assembly is placed in its' most forward position, the weight/balance is more similiar, though the compensator is @20 grams heavier and 10mm longer overall.

As with all equipment issues, the choice is very individual. You'll notice when reviewing the various WC 50 meter photographs, that the use of the compensator is not universal: Nestruev uses a shortened standard sight holder, Szarenski has a turned-down compensator, Dumoulin uses an extended weight system, etc.

Try adding 20 grams FORWARD on your standard sight base for a compensator balance comparison, ... and then if the weight is agreeable, you can consider whether or not the compensator will enhance your performance.
PaulT

Morini 84e Compensators

Post by PaulT »

I posed the below on the UK forum. I have amended costs to US$
I hope it helps.
BTW I did not change the height of the front sight blade. I know these are available but the STD and both "factory" compensator models do not require this to be changed on my pistol.

Apologies for delay, I had a few calls/mails for details of the old and now the new Morini compensators for the CM48e. The pictures are trimmed for size resolution, let me know if you want any higher resolution pictures and I will PM these.

To put things in context, the compensator will not improve accuracy nor will it detract from it. Decent ammunition batches, provide sub 20mm ten shot groups with Lapua Pistol King and Eley Tenex EPS with ten shot groups, a shade over 20mm for fourty shot groups. With compensator attached, no discernable difference either way. I know Midas L provided better groups but given (a) this is very costly ammunition, (b) the ISSF 50M pistol target X-ring is 25mm diameter and (c) no batches available for selection in the UK, this is academic. Only 2-3 units of the old compensators have been sold in the UK and apparently the newer unit is the first. As for results, both compensators have returned me 98 ten shot series, in one case, the two strays were 9.9 and 9.7. No excuses, the kit works!

So why both with a compensator? Personally, I prefer the balance and the reduction in recoil assists my follow through albeit brief. A potential detraction is the compensators add weight and increase sight radius. If you go for the older model, it requires a reamer for cleaning. The factory doesn’t provide a reamer but we know a man in Switzerland who can – for a price. The newer unit is not a problem in the cleaning department and is more like a rifle tube extension.

The standard barrel weight can be mounted in three positions and also have the blade attached in one of three positions, hence the apparent additional adjustment. For a compensator, Morini and others have been very specific in stating the compensator must be mounted only in a forward position and thus reduce adjustment range.

Is one unit preferred over the other – a bit early to tell? I will try both early season, make a decision, then stick with it until broken.

In summary.

Standard barrel weight/foresight
• Sight radius 347mm – 444mm
• Weight excluding foresight blade 61.5g
• No additional cleaning required
• No recoil reduction
• No cost option
• Length 79mm

Older Compensator
• Sight radius 404mm – 444mm
• Weight excluding foresight blade 70.0g
• Requires careful cleaning and use of reaming tool
• Noticeable recoil and follow-through indicator
• Approx $110
• Requires proofing
• Significant shot sound reduction
• Length 89mm

Newer compensator
• Sight radius 456mm – 505mm
• Weight excluding foresight blade 87.5g
• Requires moderate cleaning
• Excellent recoil reduction and follow-through indicator
• Approx $190
• Requires proofing (a UK thing)
• Some shot sound reduction
• Length 143mm
WSmith

Post by WSmith »

Paul: Is the 143mm length of the new Morini 84E compensator (54mm/@2" longer than the original compensator), an overall length requirement for UK ownership?

I'd really enjoy viewing the photograph mentioned in your posting, as I wasn't able to find the new compensator on Morini's web sight.

Thanks - Wayne.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

The standard counter weight / compensator is detachable and therefore not a part of the overall length. UK requirements are 600mm + overall length (comprised bits that will not come off) and 300mm + barrel. It sounds a pain but the standard FP barrels ware 295mm – 301 mm anyway and the rear rails are not really noticeable. If you want rear counter weights (and you don’t need a lot!) then they balance the pistol nicely.

A picture of the "Old" and "New" models is on below site. It is low resolution but should help identify the two models I refer.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Free_Pistol