Different techniques of breath for Standard Pistol Matches

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Evia

Different techniques of breath for Standard Pistol Matches

Post by Evia »

Dear fellows:

Which technique do you preffer for breathing for the SP match, for each one of the phases (slow, timed and rapid)? Anny comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jim Cruise

breathing

Post by Jim Cruise »

For Standard pistol 150 second stage - normal breath in & lift pistol up through target, normal breathing pause, controled breathing out lowering pistol into area aim position, normal breathing pause - fire shot. Can also add a small breath in after first reaching area aim position lifting to top of 'black', then gentle breath out to settle into area aim, pause and shoot.

20 second stage - normal breath in lifting pistol directly to area aim position, normal pause fire 1st shot, 2nd shot, breathe out shallow so not to lose area aim position & pause fire 3rd shot, breathe in & pause fire 4th & 5th shot. Will also depend on aerobic fitness and breathing pattern of individual.

10 second stage - normal breath in lift pistol directly to area aim position, extend normal pause and fire shots 1-5. Make sure of follow through to after target turns away. Good aerobic fitness desireable.

Good luck
funMor

Breathing during the 20 second stage

Post by funMor »

Hi, Jim Cruise.

I think you are pretty much correct. And this is a technique many shooters use.

I have sometimes used an alternative method for the 20 second string:

A deep breath during the beginning of the 7 second "turnaway", then releasing about halv of the air during the lift.
Then small, short breath between each shot during that string.
Then, I must add, I shoot the 20 second string slowly, about 17- 18 seconds.

Some also do not breathe during the 20 second string, finishing the string in about 13 - 14 seconds.

I think it is advisable that each shooter tests out what suits them best.
And as you said, Jim, it also depends on the aerobic fitness of each individual.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I don't think I breathe during the 20 or 10 second strings but I don't know for sure - I'll have to check.

One thing I do struggle with is whether to raise the pistol directly into the aim in the 20s or raise above it and then lower. I know I have done both and I'm not really sure which works best.

Rob.
funMor

lift/aiming procedure, 10 and 20 second strings

Post by funMor »

Hi, RobStubbs.

A very central topic.

I am not very good at Standard Pistol, but I have learned to manage the 20 second string, more or less, shooting only a few points lower score that for the 150 second strings. But at the 10s strings I struggle to score better that say 43 to 44 pts.
Sometimes I have a fellow shooter spot my target during the string, and often the first shot prints away from the groop.

I have tried two different approaches:

1. Fire the first shot like a (slow) duell shot. Works ok sometimes, but at higher stress this shot often prints (is jerked!) down left into the 8 (or even 7 ring). (I am right-handed).

2. Bringing the gun up faster, up to the very level the pistol reaches during recoil, then bringing the gun down to the aiming point as you do for the 4 consecutive shots of the string. This way I use about the same amount of time as for method 1 for the first shot. This often remedies the first low-left shot, but not always.

The reason could be this: When I lift the gun for the first shot, I have pulled the trigger to the beginning of the 2. stage. But during recoil, and during lowering of the gun after 1. shot, one has to move the triggerfinger forward to engage the sear again, then (trying to) squeeze the trigger evenly, until it breaks just at the arrivel at the point of aim again. So, even using method 2, the shots are not fired exactly the same way.

It would be of interst to learn about the technique of shooters that core better than I can manage. Please, shear some info.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Since I shoot in the UK, we have to use air so the recoil issues don't affect us. I seem to shoot pretty consistently all strings and sometimes I even shoot worse scores in the 150 strings. In the 10s string I normally wait until about 4 secs for the first shot and just spread the others out depending on the aim and whether I'm running out of time.

Rob.
kleefurd

Post by kleefurd »

I know this might sound a little silly, but it does pay to pay a respectable coach in a local club just to help you out in a few sessions to work on your breathing. I realise that asking this question in here will only get you a few million different answers eventually because everyone's breathing technique differs due to our fitness level, age, climate, diet, etc.

Why not talk to a coach proper or an experienced shooter in your club about how to fine tune a set of breathing techniques that suits you best? At least they will get you started on the right feet.

Just my two cents. :)
Evia

You're not going to belive

Post by Evia »

Dear Kleefur:

Can you belive that in my place, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico, we do not have any professional pistol coach? The nearest one is about 1300 kilometers away.

That's what I'm asking. I only have my books a reference, and the friendly aid of two more experienced shooting buddies.

With kindest regards
kleefurd

Re: You're not going to belive

Post by kleefurd »

Evia wrote:Dear Kleefur:

Can you belive that in my place, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico, we do not have any professional pistol coach? The nearest one is about 1300 kilometers away.

That's what I'm asking. I only have my books a reference, and the friendly aid of two more experienced shooting buddies.

With kindest regards
Sorry to hear that. It will make training a little tougher but not impossible.

Read up as much as you can, and use these boards to discuss, and eventually try out different techniques until you find one that helps you get the most stable hold...

As I am still new to AP shooting, I rather not discuss my newbie techniques until I am sure I have found something that really helps.

Hope the veteran shooters will shed more light on this..
Richard Newman

Breathing in SP rapid

Post by Richard Newman »

If you find that you have trouble maintaining breath control near the end of the 10 or 20 sec. stages, it may help if before you atart your preferred procedure and raise the pistol, you take 1 - 3 very deep breaths, being sure to exhale completely after each. This will increase the oxygenation of your blood and delay going anaerobic. This is more useful for those of us who aren't in really good aerobic condition. Those of us who don't run a few miles every day. HOwever, this is a case where too much of a good thing can occur. If you exceed the number of breaths suggested you may begin to hyperventilate, which can make you unsteady, and even dizzy. Its an individual thing as to how much -if any- helps. Its at least worth a try, and doesn't cost anything. Despite all the air pollution we don't have to pay for breathing yet.
Richard Newman