new rules for range brightness

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

H2DE

new rules for range brightness

Post by H2DE »

can some one tell me how bright 1500 lums is using your spot meter on your camera? Is it about 1/500 @ f 16 with asa setting at 200speed? h2de
Spencer C

Re: new rules for range brightness

Post by Spencer C »

H2DE wrote:can some one tell me how bright 1500 lums is using your spot meter on your camera? Is it about 1/500 @ f 16 with asa setting at 200speed? h2de
I think the two are 'different'.
The ISSF specifies a method using incident light levels, your camera uses reflected light levels.
For the same incident light, the camera levels will vary epending on the surface it is reading from; more from a very white and reflective surface, less from a more absorbent/dark surface.

While low-cost light meters are almost unobtainable here in Australia (i.e. the old fashioned camera shop light meters), and those that are available do not come in 'lux' - but it might be worth your time to check out your local camera shops...
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Check out Dick Smith's, they have a light meter for about $120 that "talks" in lux.

Martin
Spencer C

Post by Spencer C »

Martin H wrote:Check out Dick Smith's, they have a light meter for about $120 that "talks" in lux.

Martin
Aha!

Even better, underA$50...

...now (maybe) over the next few weeks I can experiment with various light arrangements and come up with a guide to getting 1500 lux using various types of lights.
Will publish outcomes on the NRC website for 'general' information.

Regards,

Spencer