Pellet trap

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

chrisd

Pellet trap

Post by chrisd »

What is the name of the substance that is used to dampen the the noise of the pellet hitting the metal at the back of the pellet trap. I believe it is some type of "putty" but I do not know the exact name. Any help would be apprecitated.
amb

Post by amb »

"Duct Seal" is the stuff I use, based on an ancient recommendation from the old version of Target Talk, and it works fine. It's a grey putty that seems to stay soft forever; it's sold in big blocks that cost a buck or two. Available from electrical suppliers and half-decent hardware stores everywhere. (Google for "duct seal" to see near-infininte examples.)
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

ChrisD,

Allow me to make a suggestion if you havent already thought of it.

Rather than having the pellet hit the duct seal, install some thick shag carpeting over the duct seal. The carpet will collect the pellets thereby preventing the build up of pellets (hot spots) in the duct seal itself. Pulling pellets out of duct seal is a real pain in the behind.

With the carpet installed, you just pull it out, shake it out over a garbage can and reinstall it. When you finally eat through the carpet, you replace it - quickly, cheaply and inexpensively.

Good luck
carmat5

Re: Pellet trap

Post by carmat5 »

Chris,

Try 3/16" thick Lexan. It flattens the pellets out and they drop right under the sheet.
Moe Draznin

putty

Post by Moe Draznin »

Its called electrical putty. It can be purchased from electrical supplies stores like dealer electric, summers electric etc. It comes in 5LB slabs and its gray in color. Its very dense and its stay flexible.

We hardly ever clean it up. We used to use it a lot for over 2-3 years.

There is a design for a wood box the size of a target plus 1" and about 3 inches deep. It has groove in the front so you can slide a cardbord that hold the target. The box has a 1.5" layer of putty to absorb the pellets.
To be able to shoot 3P I used a 2x4 with shelves at the right hight.

Moe.
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

For several years I used an Eley 22 wood carton turned on its side. I place a sheet of heating duct tin in the back. Stuffed the box full of grocery plastic bags. Stapled cardboard on the front. I cut B40/4 targets in half. Two bulls fit nice. I stuffed more plactic bags through the card board as needed. I kept it in a bookcase. This target box was probably six inches deep.

Archery ranges use garbage bags filled with plastic bags to stop arrows. This is were I came up with the idea.

Ray Odle

Re: putty

Post by Guest »

Moe Draznin wrote:Its called electrical putty. It can be purchased from electrical supplies stores like dealer electric, summers electric etc. It comes in 5LB slabs and its gray in color. Its very dense and its stay flexible.

We hardly ever clean it up. We used to use it a lot for over 2-3 years.

There is a design for a wood box the size of a target plus 1" and about 3 inches deep. It has groove in the front so you can slide a cardbord that hold the target. The box has a 1.5" layer of putty to absorb the pellets.
To be able to shoot 3P I used a 2x4 with shelves at the right hight.

Moe.
If you're in the UK then abandon hope of finding electrical putty & buy some Plumbers Mait instead. A real pain to get in place, but a couple of inches of it should do fine, especially if you back the trap with a sheet of steel :)
TWP

Post by TWP »

We don't use any putty on our pellet traps.

Just flat 12 ga steel backed by 3/4" plywood. 2 layers of corrugated plastic (cardboard works too) spaced about 1 inch apart.

Pellets hit the steel and flatten out, then drop to the bottom of the trap.

Do not use this design for steel BB's. They will bounce back as holes wear in the corrugated plastic.