Shoulder and elbow pains while shooting APs

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Shoulder and elbow pains while shooting APs

Post by Guest »

Has anyone experienced shoulder and elbow pains while shooting APs. I have only been shooting for a few months, approximately 20 shots a day and one 60 shot course a week and I have developed a shoulder pain with a little on the elbow too. Another shooter at my AP range has also experienced some shoulder pain. Is this a very bad sign or is this normal for most shooters?
David Levene

Re: Shoulder and elbow pains while shooting APs

Post by David Levene »

Guest wrote:Has anyone experienced shoulder and elbow pains while shooting APs. I have only been shooting for a few months, approximately 20 shots a day and one 60 shot course a week and I have developed a shoulder pain with a little on the elbow too. Another shooter at my AP range has also experienced some shoulder pain. Is this a very bad sign or is this normal for most shooters?
I would suggest seeing a doctor or good sports physiotherapist as soon as possible. It may or may not be a serious problem but, if it is, you need to get it sorted out NOW.

I speak as someone whose competitive shooting career was ended by an elbow injury which I ignored for too long.
Mike McDaniel

Post by Mike McDaniel »

I'll agree with David. Shoulder pain is NOT normal. Elbow trouble is not normal, either, but a fair number of us do suffer from tennis elbow to one degree or other. A good regime of stretching and exercise can alleviate a lot of the problems, but you need to speak to a good doctor and dope out what works.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Guest wrote:Has anyone experienced shoulder and elbow pains while shooting APs. I have only been shooting for a few months, approximately 20 shots a day and one 60 shot course a week and I have developed a shoulder pain with a little on the elbow too. Another shooter at my AP range has also experienced some shoulder pain. Is this a very bad sign or is this normal for most shooters?
Hey guys, he's only been shooting "a few months". Don't know about you guys, but the ONLY time I stand around with one arm out is when I'm shooting..... I think he needs to work out a little, and see if maybe BOTH arms hurt the same way. Maybe hold something about the same weight as the pistol out to the side for 10 minutes a day. If it hurts the same, then his arm is just out of shape.

This kind of thing is VERY common in those of us who are over 40 and just getting into shooting.

Mike
Wichita KS
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

mikeschroeder wrote: Hey guys, he's only been shooting "a few months". Don't know about you guys, but the ONLY time I stand around with one arm out is when I'm shooting.....
I would normally agree with you for a newcomer but if he has been shooting 20 shots a day for a few months then his shooting arm is going to be pretty well toned up by now.

I know it is extremely common for absolute beginners to get an ache on the inside of the elbow for a few days when they first start. Pain in the shoulder and the elbow, especially if on the outside, needs to be investigated. It may be nothing but it is better to get it checked out early.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

I think most of us can tell the distinct difference between pain and fatigue. If you are in pain, see a doctor and have him diagnose the problem and then prescribe a course of treatment which may be as simple as strength and stretching exercises.

Simultaneous shoulder and elbow pain are indicative of nerve involvement. The more you ignore it, the worse it is likely to get.

Your body is trying to tell you something - you should listen to it.

Good luck to you

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies. I gave my arm a few days rest from shooting and the Baikal, then began to work it out with light weights. I just received my LP10, and I haven't noticied any more arm problems while shooting. I don't know if it was the weight problem of the AP or that my arm was not use to the position.
Jack

Post by Jack »

After a few months only, I bet you are finding some muscles you never used before. If so, ease off a little. Warm up and stretch before shooting. Condition yourself. Do not force your way through any pain. And see a doctor if it persists.