which AP glass do you advice?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ba$ar

which AP glass do you advice?

Post by ba$ar »

Hi everybody,

I'm a beginner in AP shooting/approximately 2 month;I have a Steyr LP10 and my score approximately 530. Firstly I wonder that Is this a good score for the beginner level person or not?Secondly, I decided to buy a AP Shooting glass (I am using oridinary glass and It's sometimes diffucult to shoot with it) and I want to know that which brand do you advive to me? I have a chance to buy easily Champion or Anshultz glases..Which brand better for me?Or would you advice any other brand (Gehmann, Varga etc.)

Thanks for your kind replies, regards...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

In my opinion 530 is a very respectable score for a beginer, although you have picked a very good (if not the best) AP to start with.

I use Gehman glasses but I don't actually have a need for any lenses (although I do use filters for outdoors). It would appear the champions are one of the more popular makes. I would suggest that you try whichever brands you can and get whichever suits you the best - also bearing in mind how easy it for you to get the lenses for them i.e. can you get them locally ?

Rob.
Bubba

What kind of problem

Post by Bubba »

What kind of problem are you having shooting with your normal glasses?

Your scores are very good. You are, as a self admitted beginner, shooting roughly 88.3333% of a possible. So you have some talent and skills.

what do you expect from pistol specific shooting glasses, in the way of making your shooting better?

I ask this because even though I own a set of Varga Pistol glasses, I seldom use them. I shoot at home and have to retrieve and score my own targets. The shooting glasses have an ear piect that goes around the back of the ear. This is makes them harder than dormal glasses to remove, so that I cn walk to the target, bring it back to my desk, under bright light to score it and then replace the target.

Most of the time I use a set of full size reading glasses that focus on the front sight. I have sanded the non sighting lense with sand paper to be opaque. these glasses slip on and off very easily. And, since I seldon win anything, I don't have to worry about them coming off, when I do an energetic victory dance, because they don't havee wrap behind the ear ear pieces.

The other advantage is that the reading glasses are inexpensive and by being so, cushion the sense of loss should they become misplaced or scratched or broken. The ones I am using now are only about 5 years old, and may need replacement sooner or later.

My problem with shooting without glasses is focus on the front sight and the assistance of the occlusion of the non shooting eye. I was traoned 50 years ago to close the eye that was not the aiming eye. That was the way my parents and grand parents, (hunters with iron sights) had done for all their lives. I find this a hard habit to break, and the occluded non sshooting eye on shooting glasses resolves this problem. Don't use black to occlude the non shooting eye, as it will shut off an important source of light that aids the shooting eye.

Just some thoughts. Your experience and results may vary.

Respectfully,
Bubba

PS, I did not originate the idea of using reading glasses for shooting. I apologize that I cannot think of the gentleman that first shared that idea. I have since used it and liked it.