Morini CM 162EI dry-fire question(s) ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
terrypchan

Morini CM 162EI dry-fire question(s) ?

Post by terrypchan »

The Morini manual leaves a lot to be desired. When the electronics are first turned on the gun is in dry-fire mode. If the pellet loading lever is now lifted up and cocked and a pellet inserted, and then the lever lowered, the gun is now ready to fire.

My question is -- with a pellet loaded is there a way to now put the gun back into dry-fire mode ? Or once a pellet is loaded must the gas be discharged before dry-fire mode can be resumed ?

Also how much resistance should be felt on the cocking lever ? This lever feels very un-smooth on the used 162EI I'm just starting to shoot.

Hopefully a Morini user can shed some light on these matters.

Thanks,

Terry
Tony C.

CM 162 dryfire mode

Post by Tony C. »

With a CM 162 once the lever is lifted, a charge of air will be ready to push out the pellet when the trigger is pressed. the only way to return to dryfire mode is to fire the pellet in the chamber first, without lifting the lever, the pistol is now back in dryfire mode. Dryfire should always be done with empty chamber, some pistol can switch between dry and live fire even with a loaded chamber, CM 162 can't. When cocking or closing the lever, you should feel some resistance at the last 1/4" or so of the lever travel, if the lever feel too tight, the pervious owner may have tighten the screw that held the lever to the receiver too much, you can see the screw in the gap between the grip and the receiver, lightly lubricate the bolt may also help. For up to date parts drawing and manual check the Morini web site, hope this help.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

First question: with a pellet loaded,
when training I would shoot it out, for reasons of safety. Leaving a pellet in the gun would be unsafe indeed.
In a match situation I would lift the lever to it´s fully raised position, that way no air is expelled.
It´s also possible to let the striker down carefully if you find the lever distracting, just lift the lever until you feel resistance, back down slightly, pull the trigger and let the lever down.
You should now feel the force of the striker spring on the lever as you are letting it down.

One warning though, it´s very easy in a match situation to forget that a pellet was already loaded, but if a second one is put in the gun (and given that it´s noticed) just get the attention of the referee, you should be allowed to shoot the pellets out and then resume the match.

An exploded view: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/cm162eex.htm

If the lever is all loose and will not hold open, it´s because the small spring washer (162043) under the lever´s fulcrum screw (162038) has lost it´s shape.

Now, if you´re mechanically adept, it´s quite easy to remove that screw, taking care not to loose any of the washers, and return the washer to working order,
put the washer between a appropriatly sized hole (it should support the washer on the outer edge, I use a M10 nut, I believe) and steel ball (ball bearing ball, 8-10mm diameter) and using a vice, press the washer back to shape, being careful not to overdo it...
Put some grease on the washers and screw and reassemble, then you´re good to go...
BTW, it´s a stepped screw and it should be tight.

About the hard to lift lever: that´s usually caused by the pin (162028) connecting the striker (162029) to the lever rubbing (hard) against it´s track (the upper surface) in the aluminum frame and is easily cured by applying a small amount of quality grease to that bearing surface.

Good luck
regards
Anders
terrypchan

Post by terrypchan »

Anders,

Thanks for the excellent information!

Both methods you suggested work perfectly and the second method actually allows the gun to resume dry-fire mode with the lever down.

About applying grease to pin (162028), it appears difficult to reach that spot. I have not yet removed the grip from the gun.

Are there any special precautions I should take when removing the Morini wood grip to attempt this greasing of pin 162028 ?
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

No, not really

It´s not necessary to remove the electronics in order to remove the grip, but you have to be a bit careful when putting it back on, don´t force anything.
The circuit board connector is set at a slight angle, the trick is to fit the circuit board to the connector and then slide the grip on upwards and forward (slightly), no great force is needed.

Finally, when putting the screws in, it´s best to lightly fit both screws, making sure that they are both correctly threaded, and then tighten them.

/Anders
dhurt

Post by dhurt »

Thanks Terrypchan for an excellent question, and thanks Anders for a fantastic answer. I have wondered about this question myself but never consulted the masterminds of targettalk. Many thanks