Elbow pain during start of shooting - what is it???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Luke

Post by Luke »

I am right handed and throughout my normal activities my right elbow is pain free. However, when I first grip my pistol the tendon/muscle/ligament next to the elbow bone on my right arm hurts. It tends to go away after 10 or so shots.

Has anybody had this before? Is there a cure? Will it go away by itself?

... Luke
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Consult a doctor.

Too many shooters have had their shooting careers curtailed by ignoring elbow tendon problems.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Luke,

David's advice is solid. I just went through eight weeks of physical therapy for the same condition you just described.

At first it only hurt when I started a shooting session and then went away. Before very long, it started taking much longer before the pain subsided. Finally, the pain NEVER went away and I could barely raise a gun off the bench.

My doctor's advice -

1. STOP SHOOTING until the tissue heals
2. To promote healing, start physical therapy (3X per week) to include strength and stretching exercises
3. Gradually ease back into shooting making sure to keep using the strength and stretching exercises
4. Enjoy pain free shooting for the rest of your life.

I am now at number 4.

Alternatives in the event this regimen didnt work was cortisone injections followed by the final alternative - surgery.

You really should see a orthopedist to get a proper evaluation and solid follow up treatment.

The one step you can take on your own for now is number one.

Good luck to you
Luke

Post by Luke »

What exercises helped?

Luke
dps1226

elbow pain

Post by dps1226 »

I totally agree with David Levene....See a Doctor and soon... a Shoulder and a pinched nerve almost ended my shooting career .. I cannot imagine not being able to shoot....Do It Now !!!!!
bicohen

Exercizes

Post by bicohen »

Luke,

If your problem turns out to be tendinitis I have a list of exercizes that can help (and must be done under your doctor's supervision -- I'm not in the health care biz). Contact me off-list.

Barry Cohen
Luke

Post by Luke »

Barry

I would be very interested in the list of exercises - please email to my friends account:
samthompson@post.com

Luke
bicohen

Exercizes

Post by bicohen »

Luke,

I don't have the document with me at work. I'll try to get it out to you in the next day.

BC
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Luke,
I would strongly advise you get it professionally looked it. You don't know for example whether it's a bone, tendon, muscle or ligament injury and the exercises and the course of action will vary depending on the exact nature. Remember if you get it wrong you could curtail your shooting permanently.

Rob.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Don't be a tough guy & try to "work it out". Don't use other peoples' excercises/therapy. Do not self-diagnose.
Do get to a doctor, preferably orthepedic. Do stop all activity that causes pain. With these soft-tissue injuries, by the time you feel pain, there's already a fair amount of damage done.
Do follow, to the letter, the instructions you are given for care & therapy. Don't try to rush it.
This can be a life-long problem if not taken of NOW.
Been there, done that - a couple of times. Almost ruined my shooting career.
Heather

Something to try

Post by Heather »

Elbow problems have damaged/ended too many shooting careers. Do consult a docter.
You probably shoot with you arm and elbow locked, correct? This can be good and bad. Good because it requires less mussle to hold the gun steady. Bad because over time all of the recoil and shock from the pisol takes a toll on your joints, mainly your elbow. I have managed to avoid this by shooting with my arm unlocked. Not bent, but not locked.
P Bob

Post by P Bob »

David Levene wrote:Consult a doctor.

Too many shooters have had their shooting careers curtailed by ignoring elbow tendon problems.
I used to shoot with Dave occasionally in the good old days (before the idiot politicians banned pistols in the UK) - he was (is ?) an International shooter and a member of the GB Team. He speaks from bitter personal experience as his career was blighted by tendonitis - do as he suggests

See a doctor !
Alex

Post by Alex »

Luke

They're all right..see a Doctor.
And let me offer a bit of advice to all.
Warm up!
I just went through open heart surgery this past spring to repair a birth defect. At the age of fifty four the rehab didn't come easy but I learned the value of a proper warm-up. We may not be long distance runners but we still use our bodies to do what we do whether it's pistol or rifle.
I've noticed it's helped my performance at the end of the session/match.
While i'm going on I'll mention that I do better if I try to stay warmed-up while I shooting by dressing a bit warmer than I normally like.
And Luke, if you don't like what you hear from the Doctor, see another Doctor. We're blessed with some incredible equipment and we need to take care of it.

Hold center,
Alex F