effects of wind on match ammo

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michael

effects of wind on match ammo

Post by Michael »

I've recently started shooting 50 meter prone and I'm trying to get good ammo and I tested several brands in a tunnel.
Does anyone know of any scientific research done on the effect of cross wind on different brands of .22 match ammo? Where can I get it?
Thanks
Michael
michaelr-at-bbwr.co.il.47456.0
David Levene

Re: effects of wind on match ammo

Post by David Levene »

: I've recently started shooting 50 meter prone and I'm trying to get good ammo and I tested several brands in a tunnel.
: Does anyone know of any scientific research done on the effect of cross wind on different brands of .22 match ammo? Where can I get it?
I don't know of any on .22 ammo but you might get some interesting information from the link below. It will certainly provide reading material for a few minutes.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.47460.47456
Michael Ray

Re: effects of wind on match ammo

Post by Michael Ray »

: I've recently started shooting 50 meter prone and I'm trying to get good ammo and I tested several brands in a tunnel.
: Does anyone know of any scientific research done on the effect of cross wind on different brands of .22 match ammo? Where can I get it?
Shooting Sports USA had a brief article many years ago (3/96) on wind tunnel tests with Tenex and R-50. It basically showed the typical 9:30-10 to 3:30-4 slant of the groups as crosswinds increased. For a 10 mph direct crosswind, it would deflect the shot about 32-33mm while a 20 mph wind would have a 76mm deflection. It wasn't mnetioned if this was a constant crosswind for the whole 50m or not, but the full results were apparently published in Precision Shooting Special Edition #3.
BTW, all brands will react the same as long as the velocity is the same for your barrel. If you want greater wind resistance, you need slower bullets (for .22LR).