An observation

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Justanobody

An observation

Post by Justanobody »

I have read a LARGE number of posts on this site about the various problems with shooting RF, and the upcoming rule changes. It seems to me that we in the U.S. want to point to the expense of ranges and equipment and lack of competition...yet many other countries not nearly as affluent as ours kick our butts day in and day out at the international level. One issue certainly is that our country (as great as it is) simply does not support us the way other countries do. And the "industry" within our country doesn't take international shooting seriously either, so it seems. What is the MOST competitive gun (of any type) made here in the U.S. for international style shooting? Can anyone name one? But maybe there's a bigger problem. We talk about expense, and yet how many wouldn't give a second thought at dropping $2,000 on a plasma TV? How many of our would be Jr Shooters have thousands of dollars worth of XBox and Gameboy games? Don't get me wrong, I like those things too...but if we truly care about being competitive on an international level, we need to have the commitment to do so. Otherwise, we need to stop complaining and just enjoy the successes we have in other disciplines. I would love to see us ignite some interest in RF shooting, and just perhaps (JUST perhaphs) the new rules will shake things up enough to give us a chance to start over. Oddly, I say all these things as a benchrest rifle shooter who simply admires the skills and dedication it takes to shoot RF...and the hope that one day my son may show the talent and interest to take up this wonderful discipline of shooting...if it still exists.
Spencer C

Re: 25m turning targets

Post by Spencer C »

I too have noticed the US comments about the cost of providing and installing turning targets - in Australia, usually the club members get together and build the 25m target mechanisms from available materials and skills; it is not that expensive or difficult.
Apart from the pneumatic switches and some bearings, most of the rest can be built from somebody's junk pile. The air requirements to drive 2 or 4 banks of targets is pretty minimal and can be supplied from a low-cost compressor or skuba tank.

Anothernobody

Re: An observation

Post by Anothernobody »

I don't think it's necessarily a preference for nice TVs and toys. I ask other International-style shooters...guys who shoot standard, sport, etc. if they want to try rapid fire. These are guys who have Walther GSPs, Hammerli SP20s and Pardini SPs. Here's what I hear:
"I don't have the proper equipment. You can't just shoot RF with a standard pistol." [why not? if it's already being contemplated by the ISSF, you might as well get used to it.]
"I've never done it before; I don't think I'll be able to even hit the target." [please, they're big targets. The 6 and 8 second strings aren't that bad.]
"I'd never be able to get all my shots off on the 4 second string." [Never will if you never try.]
"Gosh, we don't have the proper start/stop lights, so we can't do that." [Use an audible shot timer like the action shooters use.]
"How are we going to tell if there was an overtime shot with electronic targets or turning targets?" [Again, use a $50-100 audible shot timer. Or, just be honest.]
In short, a hear a bunch of lame b.s.
Don

Post by Don »

: I have read a LARGE number of posts on this site about the various problems with shooting RF, and the upcoming rule changes. It seems to me that we in the U.S. want to point to the expense of ranges and equipment and lack of competition...yet many other countries not nearly as affluent as ours kick our butts day in and day out at the international level. One issue certainly is that our country (as great as it is) simply does not support us the way other countries do. And the "industry" within our country doesn't take international shooting seriously either, so it seems. What is the MOST competitive gun (of any type) made here in the U.S. for international style shooting? Can anyone name one? But maybe there's a bigger problem. We talk about expense, and yet how many wouldn't give a second thought at dropping $2,000 on a plasma TV? How many of our would be Jr Shooters have thousands of dollars worth of XBox and Gameboy games? Don't get me wrong, I like those things too...but if we truly care about being competitive on an international level, we need to have the commitment to do so. Otherwise, we need to stop complaining and just enjoy the successes we have in other disciplines. I would love to see us ignite some interest in RF shooting, and just perhaps (JUST perhaphs) the new rules will shake things up enough to give us a chance to start over. Oddly, I say all these things as a benchrest rifle shooter who simply admires the skills and dedication it takes to shoot RF...and the hope that one day my son may show the talent and interest to take up this wonderful discipline of shooting...if it still exists.
I agree with all you guys on comments about RF pistol. I am a rifle shooter, but I have shot and coached pistol of all sorts. If a club or some members of a club wanted to set up a RF range, they could do it, but most just do not want to put in the time or effort. Like many people, they think there is not enough interest. Well, there will never be enough interest if no one takes the first step. Int'l rifle shooting began in the NW in the 1980's, because I insisted on setting up and running the JOSP state camps and putting on coaching schools. I insisted in talks with many people that we needed to hold more international type shooting events. Well, the upshot is that over the past 10 years or so, that about 25-30% of the people on the training, development and national shooting teams comes from the NW. Think about it.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: I too have noticed the US comments about the cost of providing and installing turning targets - in Australia, usually the club members get together and build the 25m target mechanisms from available materials and skills; it is not that expensive or difficult.
: Apart from the pneumatic switches and some bearings, most of the rest can be built from somebody's junk pile. The air requirements to drive 2 or 4 banks of targets is pretty minimal and can be supplied from a low-cost compressor or skuba tank.
Same here across the ditch (New Zealand). All the turning target's I've seen in clubs are home-made, and all work perfectly. Air pressure is normally provided from a small compressor (like those used for spray painting or pneumatic nail guns and such like). The only part of the whole set up which is normally purchased off the shelf is the electronic timer, which is a basic timer with relays.
At a pinch, you might not even need that. Our club built its targets in stages and initially they were turned with someone pulling / pushing a long handle similar to the old point changing levers that were used on railways (they were beind the firing line I should add!).

Mark

Central Texas Rapid Fire Shooters

Post by Mark »

I like to practice rapid fire at Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club ( www.ctrpc.com ). I use stationary targets with an IPSC timer and 50ft. reduced targets [they're significantly cheaper than 25m targets for this poor student]. I use a Pardini SP and don't feel it's holding me back a significant amount.
: I have read a LARGE number of posts on this site about the various problems with shooting RF, and the upcoming rule changes. It seems to me that we in the U.S. want to point to the expense of ranges and equipment and lack of competition...yet many other countries not nearly as affluent as ours kick our butts day in and day out at the international level. One issue certainly is that our country (as great as it is) simply does not support us the way other countries do. And the "industry" within our country doesn't take international shooting seriously either, so it seems. What is the MOST competitive gun (of any type) made here in the U.S. for international style shooting? Can anyone name one? But maybe there's a bigger problem. We talk about expense, and yet how many wouldn't give a second thought at dropping $2,000 on a plasma TV? How many of our would be Jr Shooters have thousands of dollars worth of XBox and Gameboy games? Don't get me wrong, I like those things too...but if we truly care about being competitive on an international level, we need to have the commitment to do so. Otherwise, we need to stop complaining and just enjoy the successes we have in other disciplines. I would love to see us ignite some interest in RF shooting, and just perhaps (JUST perhaphs) the new rules will shake things up enough to give us a chance to start over. Oddly, I say all these things as a benchrest rifle shooter who simply admires the skills and dedication it takes to shoot RF...and the hope that one day my son may show the talent and interest to take up this wonderful discipline of shooting...if it still exists.

Gilbert

Re: Central Texas Rapid Fire Shooters

Post by Gilbert »

: I like to practice rapid fire at Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club ( www.ctrpc.com ). I use stationary targets with an IPSC timer and 50ft. reduced targets [they're significantly cheaper than 25m targets for this poor student]. I use a Pardini SP and don't feel it's holding me back a significant amount.
: : I have read a LARGE number of posts on this site about the various problems with shooting RF, and the upcoming rule changes. It seems to me that we in the U.S. want to point to the expense of ranges and equipment and lack of competition...yet many other countries not nearly as affluent as ours kick our butts day in and day out at the international level. One issue certainly is that our country (as great as it is) simply does not support us the way other countries do. And the "industry" within our country doesn't take international shooting seriously either, so it seems. What is the MOST competitive gun (of any type) made here in the U.S. for international style shooting? Can anyone name one? But maybe there's a bigger problem. We talk about expense, and yet how many wouldn't give a second thought at dropping $2,000 on a plasma TV? How many of our would be Jr Shooters have thousands of dollars worth of XBox and Gameboy games? Don't get me wrong, I like those things too...but if we truly care about being competitive on an international level, we need to have the commitment to do so. Otherwise, we need to stop complaining and just enjoy the successes we have in other disciplines. I would love to see us ignite some interest in RF shooting, and just perhaps (JUST perhaphs) the new rules will shake things up enough to give us a chance to start over. Oddly, I say all these things as a benchrest rifle shooter who simply admires the skills and dedication it takes to shoot RF...and the hope that one day my son may show the talent and interest to take up this wonderful discipline of shooting...if it still exists.

gdpr45-at-yahoo.com.46864.46859
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Mark, I live in Temple and have been a member of your club. I own a Pardini sp and interested in rapid fire. Let make contact

gdpr45-at-yahoo.com.46866.46859
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sure. You can email me at: mister_blue@hotmail.com
I'm going to be out of town for the next couple weeks, but will be back shooting in the first week or two of January. BTW, you might be interested in the international matches held at UT-Austin and Texas A&M that pop up every now and then. UT usually has air, standard, free, and rapid fire pistol. A&M usually has air, standard, and free pistol. Email me and I'll tell you what I know.
: Mark, I live in Temple and have been a member of your club. I own a Pardini sp and interested in rapid fire. Let make contact

Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

In my area of the country there does not seem to
be much interest in international shooting. Our
club installed two rapid fire bays that have not
been used more than a few times in when first
installed. They have not been used for over 5 years. We have tried to get enough interest to run matches but only a small hand ful of shooters
show any interest.
Dave C. in Pa.
I too have noticed the US comments about the cost of providing and installing turning targets - in Australia, usually the club members get together and build the 25m target mechanisms from available materials and skills; it is not that expensive or difficult.
: Apart from the pneumatic switches and some bearings, most of the rest can be built from somebody's junk pile. The air requirements to drive 2 or 4 banks of targets is pretty minimal and can be supplied from a low-cost compressor or skuba tank.

JT

Post by JT »

What a bunch of weenies. BE pistol shooters shoot great scores with .45's. No telling what a BE shooter could do with the .22 short in a heavy gun. Better hope the BE guys dont discover International style shooting! LOL!

: I don't think it's necessarily a preference for nice TVs and toys. I ask other International-style shooters...guys who shoot standard, sport, etc. if they want to try rapid fire. These are guys who have Walther GSPs, Hammerli SP20s and Pardini SPs. Here's what I hear:
: "I don't have the proper equipment. You can't just shoot RF with a standard pistol." [why not? if it's already being contemplated by the ISSF, you might as well get used to it.]
: "I've never done it before; I don't think I'll be able to even hit the target." [please, they're big targets. The 6 and 8 second strings aren't that bad.]
: "I'd never be able to get all my shots off on the 4 second string." [Never will if you never try.]
: "Gosh, we don't have the proper start/stop lights, so we can't do that." [Use an audible shot timer like the action shooters use.]
: "How are we going to tell if there was an overtime shot with electronic targets or turning targets?" [Again, use a $50-100 audible shot timer. Or, just be honest.]
: In short, a hear a bunch of lame b.s.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.46886.46849