Tech Force 41 and begginer air rifles

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Ross

Tech Force 41 and begginer air rifles

Post by Ross »

Hi all this is the first time I have posted here and I need some help.
I shot competition air rifle in college for several years and I am well expereinced in shooting RWs, anshutz etc, all spring pistons with side cocking levers and peep sights. Now here is my problem my wife has taken a liking to shooting she never shot before i showed up and now I am looking into an air rifle that we can use at home. I have the space to set up a range in my basement. Problem being I dont want to drop a small fortune for a high end compition rifle right now since 1. its for fun but she wants to shoot at targets and wants to see how good she is at it!. 2. I dont know if she will ever want to compete if she does we can always upgrade.
With that in mind I have been trying to find an air rifle that would do a good starter job just to get her going. I know nothing about the chinese air rifles but i have read ok reviews aobut them and they are cheap. A chinese company called tech force makes a model tech force 41, its side cocking spring piston type with a hooded front sight and iron sights in the back, has grooves for a scope. I dont know if it could be adapted to take a peep sight. It sells for 50-70 dollars. Does anyone have any experience with it and or is there another air rifle you could suggest??
Thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies.
GaryN

its a crap shoot

Post by GaryN »

I've heard mixed results about the Chinese guns. Some were great, but other were BAD. Seems they have a problem with quality control.
A pretty decent and darn accurate basement shooter for under $100 is a Slavia 631.
http://www.johnstontargetworks.com/cata ... 293675.htm
The PIA problem is the rear sight rail is a non-standard 13.8mm (I think this is the size). This non-standard size makes it harder to find mounts that will fit.
The other thing is this rifle is LONG. Makes me feel like I'm shooting a Kentucky long rifle. If your wife is short like me (I'm 5'4"), that becomes a problem.
And the Slavia is NOT a competition rifle.
Going up a step are the Daisy/Avanti rifles 853/753 SSP and 888 co2.
http://www.pilkguns.com/daisy.htm
These are junior rifles, and if your wife is under 5'4" they would fit her. The stock length of pull is adjustable. The 853 will probably need to have the trigger smoothened. Might even ask Scott to do that for you.
The next step up would be a TAU200.
I bought a used TAU200-junior for my wife. The strange thing about the TAU200-junior is, the barrel is the same length as the full size TAU200, only the stock is shorter.
Most of my 10m guns are used, so don't overlook the used marketplace for a good rifle at a good price. Just have to be careful who you deal with.

My recommendation. Don't get a CHEAP rifle, it will just sabotoge her. And you DO NOT want to sabotoge your wife. A rifle w a lousy trigger and bad accuracy will push a shooter to quit in frustration. Get her something "decent." It does not have to be expensive, but not a piece of junk.

I would also recommend a red-dot sight to start on. A red-dot is very easy for a new shooter to learn to use. Then if she wants to shoot in competitions she can switch to aperture sights later. I have a Tasco red-dot that costed me less than $40. A red-dot sight has NO magnification.
Or a scope. For basement range, a 4x scope with an adjustable objective (to focus down to basement range) is plenty adequate.

As for shooting. If she has trouble, don't quit...find her a coach. When I started 10m AR (standing position) I shot so bad I was ready to quit. Most of my shots missed the target. Out of complete despiration I went to a coach. He completely rebuilt my stance (in other words I was doing everything wrong). Now I shoot decently enough that I enjoying AR shooting.
Gud Luk
Gary
Ross

Re: its a crap shoot Thanks

Post by Ross »

Gary,
Thanks for your reply! The wife is small 5 foot tall so your comments really help. i will check out all three proably pass on the first one you mentioned i dont want a long one if I can help it!! I also totally agree with the dont buy crap theroy!! :)
Great comment on the starting with the red dot, the reason i am looking for peeps is that first time she ever picked up an air rifle with peep sights she smoked a 70 out of 100 on an olypmic style target!! I also totaly agree with you on the coach comment they can be a huge help!!
Thanks again
Ross

: I've heard mixed results about the Chinese guns. Some were great, but other were BAD. Seems they have a problem with quality control.
: A pretty decent and darn accurate basement shooter for under $100 is a Slavia 631.
: http://www.johnstontargetworks.com/cata ... 293675.htm
: The PIA problem is the rear sight rail is a non-standard 13.8mm (I think this is the size). This non-standard size makes it harder to find mounts that will fit.
: The other thing is this rifle is LONG. Makes me feel like I'm shooting a Kentucky long rifle. If your wife is short like me (I'm 5'4"), that becomes a problem.
: And the Slavia is NOT a competition rifle.
: Going up a step are the Daisy/Avanti rifles 853/753 SSP and 888 co2.
: http://www.pilkguns.com/daisy.htm
: These are junior rifles, and if your wife is under 5'4" they would fit her. The stock length of pull is adjustable. The 853 will probably need to have the trigger smoothened. Might even ask Scott to do that for you.
: The next step up would be a TAU200.
: I bought a used TAU200-junior for my wife. The strange thing about the TAU200-junior is, the barrel is the same length as the full size TAU200, only the stock is shorter.
: Most of my 10m guns are used, so don't overlook the used marketplace for a good rifle at a good price. Just have to be careful who you deal with.
:
: My recommendation. Don't get a CHEAP rifle, it will just sabotoge her. And you DO NOT want to sabotoge your wife. A rifle w a lousy trigger and bad accuracy will push a shooter to quit in frustration. Get her something "decent." It does not have to be expensive, but not a piece of junk.
:
: I would also recommend a red-dot sight to start on. A red-dot is very easy for a new shooter to learn to use. Then if she wants to shoot in competitions she can switch to aperture sights later. I have a Tasco red-dot that costed me less than $40. A red-dot sight has NO magnification.
: Or a scope. For basement range, a 4x scope with an adjustable objective (to focus down to basement range) is plenty adequate.
:
: As for shooting. If she has trouble, don't quit...find her a coach. When I started 10m AR (standing position) I shot so bad I was ready to quit. Most of my shots missed the target. Out of complete despiration I went to a coach. He completely rebuilt my stance (in other words I was doing everything wrong). Now I shoot decently enough that I enjoying AR shooting.
: Gud Luk
: Gary

Gary

more thoughts

Post by Gary »

If she shoots that good, I would go with either the TAU200-jr or the Daisy/Avanti Valiant (http://www.pilkguns.com/dxs40.htm). I like the target style stock of the TAU-200 or Valiant over the sportster stock of the Daisy 888.
However the TAU-200 and Valiant (at about $480) are almost twice the price of the Daisy 888 (at $275), which itself is about $100 more than the Daisy 853 (at $185) so that is a consideration. If I did not get that used TAU-200-jr for my wife, I would have gotten an 853 for her, as my budget was under $200.
The good thing about the 853 is being a SSP, you don't have to hassle with the logistics of either co2 or compressed air. The cost is extra cocking effort to charge the rifle.
For the TAU or Daisy 888, make sure you get the adapter for bulk fill. Bulk fill co2 is quite economical if you use a 10 pound tank, which should last a long time. I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher shop or an industrial gas dealer. Get a siphon installed in the tank so you don't have to invert the tank, a clumsy and possibly dangerous operation.
The Daisy/Avanti Valiant is at the lower price end of the compressed air rifles. It is $80 more than the TAU200-jr. But the peep sight on the TAU is optional, so they end up about the same price. I tried an Avanti for size at a local club and it fit me quite well, definitely a junior size rifle. Being shorter than the TAU, I think it is better balanced. But there are different opinions on that, as some shooters like more weight up front, to dampen barrel movement.
Not an easy decision. You might want to get your wife involved with the decision, since it will be her rifle.
By the way, an air rifle is a LOT cheaper than jewelry or a piano. And Christmas is around the corner. (smile)
Gud Luk
Gary

Ross

More comments!!

Post by Ross »

I have to agree with the tau i like the stock a lot better on that then on the daisy. But I am trying to keep it on the cheaper side right now as well. Would like to stay in that same range under $200. i do think I will get the wife involved some and see what she thinks and I agree christmas is coming!!!
Thanks again
Ross
chris

Re: Tech Force 41 and begginer air rifles

Post by chris »

: Hi all this is the first time I have posted here and I need some help.
: I shot competition air rifle in college for several years and I am well expereinced in shooting RWs, anshutz etc, all spring pistons with side cocking levers and peep sights. Now here is my problem my wife has taken a liking to shooting she never shot before i showed up and now I am looking into an air rifle that we can use at home. I have the space to set up a range in my basement. Problem being I dont want to drop a small fortune for a high end compition rifle right now since 1. its for fun but she wants to shoot at targets and wants to see how good she is at it!. 2. I dont know if she will ever want to compete if she does we can always upgrade.
: With that in mind I have been trying to find an air rifle that would do a good starter job just to get her going. I know nothing about the chinese air rifles but i have read ok reviews aobut them and they are cheap. A chinese company called tech force makes a model tech force 41, its side cocking spring piston type with a hooded front sight and iron sights in the back, has grooves for a scope. I dont know if it could be adapted to take a peep sight. It sells for 50-70 dollars. Does anyone have any experience with it and or is there another air rifle you could suggest??
: Thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies.
i have a tech force 20 and i love it. i shoot mostly squriles in my back yard but me and my friend shoot against each other.it is a great gun from wut i exprinced.it shoots 1000 ft./sec. and that is plenty fast for me.it is at a afforidble price any where form 95-100 dollars.well i just thought i might give u some advice. hope u and ur wife and a good time shooting.

chris
buckhunter6989-at-hotmail.com.47177.46226