aid for eyes.

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michael Andersson

aid for eyes.

Post by Michael Andersson »

when shooting at home in the basement i dont have any problems with my sight allignment. It is rather low ligt around me and stronger on the target. my sigts are for me visible and sharp.
But when shooting at the club I have major problems with my sights. The surrounding light is much stronger then home, and when i try to aim I just cant get my sights in focus. it is just a blur mess
When i close my left eye the sights get more sharper. but it lower my focus, standing at the line blinking with my eye all the time .Also tried to use a cap to put avay some annoying light from my eyes.
Have had some thoughts about getting a pair of shooting glasses but what to put in these?
Any tip what to do.
Richard

Re: aid for eyes.

Post by Richard »

Start with Warren Potter's excellent article, linked below.
govtmodel-at-budweiser.com.46205.46198
acet

Post by acet »

The first thing I would do is to brighten up the basement so that it is as close to the club lighting as possible.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Closing one eye causes the open eye's pupil to dilate and let in more light. Contrast improves and your sights become clearer. The additional light from the target at the club is causing your pupils to contract. That is great for looking at the target but not so good for aligning your sights. Intense light coming through the slits either side of your front sight can make the edges look fuzzy.

Three things you might try. One is to open up the notch on the rear sight which may make your edges look sharper. Another is to use some sort of filter to cut down the light entering your eye from the target. There are lots of neat filters available for the Borg-like shooting glasses but go ahead and try a pair of sunglasses during prep time next match and see if cutting the ambient light down will help you. The last to suggest is an iris to cut down the amount of light getting to the eye. Again, the ones available with shooting glasses are superior, but there are stick on ones you can use with ordinary glasses. Maybe someone in your club has one that you could try out.
: when shooting at home in the basement i dont have any problems with my sight allignment. It is rather low ligt around me and stronger on the target. my sigts are for me visible and sharp.
: But when shooting at the club I have major problems with my sights. The surrounding light is much stronger then home, and when i try to aim I just cant get my sights in focus. it is just a blur mess
: When i close my left eye the sights get more sharper. but it lower my focus, standing at the line blinking with my eye all the time .Also tried to use a cap to put avay some annoying light from my eyes.
: Have had some thoughts about getting a pair of shooting glasses but what to put in these?
: Any tip what to do.

MDriskill

Post by MDriskill »

1 Get a blinder so that the vision of your left eye is blocked without the strain of keeping it closed. An excellent aid to relaxation and concentration.
2 Definitely get an adjustable-aperture iris unit. The excellent Gehmann, Centra, and Anschutz basic units are only 50 bucks or so. That is primarily what they are for, adjusting your sight picture to fit varying lighting conditions. Can't recommend these gadgets highly enough, speaking as the owner of near-50-year-old eyes, I don't see how anyone gets by without one.
3 Consider adding colored filters or polarizers to the iris (count on spending another 50 or 60 dollars for either). These not only reduce glare but can increase contrast between the target and bull. Most unit have strong colors to work with a broader range of conditions including harsh outdoor lighting. Centra also makes an "indoor" unit with subtle colors specifically intended to compensate for various kinds of indoor lighting distortion.
Flip over to Scott's "Euro catalogs" link and check out the Gehmann and AHG Anschutz stuff.