Pardini GP 22lr conversion

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Kristian S.

Pardini GP 22lr conversion

Post by Kristian S. »

Hello fellow shooters,
With the upcoming change to Olympic Rapid Fire Pistol rules, has anyone give any serious thoughts to converting a Pardini GP to meet ISSF standard pistol rules? I have one myself, which I bought new just over a year ago, and I really don't want to have to sell it for peanuts if it could be modified with only a moderate amount of work. The cost for required machining would not be a concern, as I have access to a metal lathe and milling machine (my brother's).
Personally, I think it might be hard to modify the GP trigger to the required 1000 gram pull weight because of the GP's modular trigger mechanism. Any thoughts?
Likewise, would a GP frame accept an SP barrel/barrel shroud assembly? This might be easier than trying to permanently plug the port holes on the GP barrel. Tapping the holes and adding set-screws could be a possibility. However, this might cause extra (unwanted) scrutiny from match officials to ensure that the set-screws stay in place.
Lastly, do any of the Canadian shooters know of any legal implications to performing these modifications?

Kristian Samoila
Regina, SK, Canada
kas266-at-mail.usask.ca.46088.0
Mike Taylor

Re: Pardini GP 22lr conversion

Post by Mike Taylor »

: Hello fellow shooters,
: With the upcoming change to Olympic Rapid Fire Pistol rules, has anyone give any serious thoughts to converting a Pardini GP to meet ISSF standard pistol rules? I have one myself, which I bought new just over a year ago, and I really don't want to have to sell it for peanuts if it could be modified with only a moderate amount of work. The cost for required machining would not be a concern, as I have access to a metal lathe and milling machine (my brother's).
: Personally, I think it might be hard to modify the GP trigger to the required 1000 gram pull weight because of the GP's modular trigger mechanism. Any thoughts?
: Likewise, would a GP frame accept an SP barrel/barrel shroud assembly? This might be easier than trying to permanently plug the port holes on the GP barrel. Tapping the holes and adding set-screws could be a possibility. However, this might cause extra (unwanted) scrutiny from match officials to ensure that the set-screws stay in place.
: Lastly, do any of the Canadian shooters know of any legal implications to performing these modifications?
:
: Kristian Samoila
: Regina, SK, Canada
Is the barrel length less than 105mm?
Currently, in Canada, handguns with barrels less than 105mm are prohibited - except for specifically named guns that are used in ISU competition. Some .22 short rapid-fire guns are on that list (Walther OSP, for one). Come January 1st, 2005, those guns will no longer be used in ISU (ISSF?) competition and so will not qualify for the exemption from prohibited status. If the owner is not "grandfathered", he/she must get rid of the gun.
Converting the gun to a longer barrel would be acceptable, but it must be re-registered. Converting it to .22 long rifle, while maintaining the short barrel (by re-chambering the existing barrel) may not be acceptable because the "new" gun will not be on the "exempt" list.
This ISSF rule change for rapid fire in 2005 will put some Canadian owners of short-barrel .22 short pistols in an untenable position - they may not keep the guns and yet they may not be able to sell them because the bottom has fallen out of the market for .22 short rapid fire pistols.
I've been concerned about this situation ever since I read of the rule change. I feel betrayed by the ISSF. This rule change has destroyed the monetary value of current .22 short rapid fire pistols and it will place some (Canadian) owners in contravention of the Firearms Act.

fmtaylor-at-telus.net.46127.46088