Need to know about current gun laws in Oz.

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Rustam Bana

Need to know about current gun laws in Oz.

Post by Rustam Bana »

Regarding both airguns and firearms.
What is the law regarding ownership of the above by a person who is working in Australia but does not have Australian nationality?
Grateful for any light you can shed on the subject.
Thanks.
Rustam
rustambana-at-satyam.net.in.45856.0
Steve Swartz

Only Criminals Are Allowed to Have Guns (nt)

Post by Steve Swartz »

: Regarding both airguns and firearms.
: What is the law regarding ownership of the above by a person who is working in Australia but does not have Australian nationality?
: Grateful for any light you can shed on the subject.
: Thanks.
: Rustam

leslieswartz-at-erinet.com.45857.45856
Jim

Re: Need to know about current gun laws in Oz.

Post by Jim »

: Regarding both airguns and firearms.
: What is the law regarding ownership of the above by a person who is working in Australia but does not have Australian nationality?
: Grateful for any light you can shed on the subject.
: Thanks.
: Rustam
I'm assuming you already have the pistols and are licensed in your country ?
There are some differences between the states and I would suggest you contact the State Police Service of where you intend to live. Most of the state police agencies have a web site e.g. Queensland Police Service which should lead you to their Weapons Licensing branch or section.
If you have a licence for the pistols from another country you may be able to apply for a visitors permit, but be aware that there are fairly stringent storage requirements.
Our recent nasty gun laws restricting pistols came about from a foreign student running amok and killing people at a University - under the then laws he should not have been able to get a licence as was not a permanent resident of the state - so, I think your only possibility is a visitors permit and it may be limited in time.

jim.cruise-at-epa.qld.gov.au.45869.45856
PW

Re: Need to know about current gun laws in Oz.

Post by PW »

In reality if you can get an Australian drivers license then they aren't going to check if you are a permanent resident or not. The other difficulty would be in getting references if your State requires them. You need to show a 100 points of ID when you go for your gun license photo. An Aussie drivers license and one other thing showing your name/address should be sufficient. You do not have to be an Australian citizen to hold a gun license. Obviously the police should check out these things but hey why bother with vetting people when they could be booking people for speeding instead?
Generally you could only get a visitors permit for handguns if you were attending a sanctioned competition, I doubt you could get one for an extended period of time. Given the recent changes in the law and the 6 month probationary period for new pistol club members before they can purchase even an air pistol, things are not very visitor friendly right now. But as has been stated by the previous poster, it can't hurt to call the state firearms division and check with them.
In Australia air pistols / air rifles are regarded just like any other cartridge firing firearm, and require a gun license or exemption to legally possess or use.

: : Regarding both airguns and firearms.
: : What is the law regarding ownership of the above by a person who is working in Australia but does not have Australian nationality?
: : Grateful for any light you can shed on the subject.
: : Thanks.
: : Rustam
: I'm assuming you already have the pistols and are licensed in your country ?
: There are some differences between the states and I would suggest you contact the State Police Service of where you intend to live. Most of the state police agencies have a web site e.g. Queensland Police Service which should lead you to their Weapons Licensing branch or section.
: If you have a licence for the pistols from another country you may be able to apply for a visitors permit, but be aware that there are fairly stringent storage requirements.
: Our recent nasty gun laws restricting pistols came about from a foreign student running amok and killing people at a University - under the then laws he should not have been able to get a licence as was not a permanent resident of the state - so, I think your only possibility is a visitors permit and it may be limited in time.