Thoughts about RF Air Pistol

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mike McDaniel

Thoughts about RF Air Pistol

Post by Mike McDaniel »

Been thinking here (yes, I know it's bad for me), and thought I'd toss some thoughts out for debate.
Cartridge RF is strangling. The switch to standard pistols for the event will encourage participation, but I do not think it will solve the problems in the long run. Guns are not the long pole in the tent - target bays are.
A full-blown RF bay is a unique apparatus. The target spacing is precisely stated, and the targets must turn much faster than most ranges can handle. So you wind up with target bays that cost $3-4K, and are pretty flimsy to boot. Which means that they must be portable to prevent some bozo from shooting the frames up.
The ISSF has played with RF air for a bit. However, they are trying to protect cartridge RF, and therefore have not pushed RF air. I understand the sentiment, and agree with it - but it may not be possible.
My opinion is that there is room for a new RF air pistol event, one that has the spirit of RF, but which specifically addresses the problems.
My proposal would be shot like current RF, but with three major changes.
First, the target bay would be 3 targets, not five. The reason for this is to create a bay so compact that it would be truly portable. Currently 25m RF spacing is 75cm center-to-center. Which implies a spacing of 2/5th that, or 30 cm, at 10 meters. A five-target bay would therefore be 120cm long, plus the width of one target. Call it 140cm. This is a good 4'7". Long, arguably too long to put in the trunk of a small car. And heavy, and expensive. With a 3-target bay, you are talking about perhaps 30 inches. THAT you can put in the trunk of even the smallest car, and the length is such that you could possibly use a horizontally turning target holder - which would cut the cost down considerably. The pellet trap, target holder, and turning/timing hardware in one compact package. Compact and cheap enough for the individual shooter to buy, own, and take to major competitions. If you look at fencing tournaments, you'll find that a lot of the scoring hardware is borrowed. We could do the same with RF bays, IF they were portable and cheap enough. And switching to a 3-target bay would retain the core of RF - the hyper-fast raise, shoot, make a 90 degree change of motion, and shoot again.
Second, I would seriously consider using falling plates. I know that this is currently part of the ISSF RF Air concepts - I think it is a good idea. Not so much for the spectators (though that would be an advantage), but for ease and speed of scoring. RF shooters know that the match is quick to shoot, but horribly slow to score. Falling plates allow binary scoring, and can be done from behind the shooter.
Third, I would consider shortening the time. With three targets, perhaps the 8 second string should be deleted - and replaced with a 2-second string. Really give shooters the chance to have the wheels fall off :-)
Finals? Perhaps a smaller falling plate. Maybe even gradually reducing target size until only one shooter can complete the series.
In any event, I've become convinced that the range problems are going to strangle RF if we don't do something. And I fear that RF air may be the only alternative to losing the event entirely.
Any opinions?
HMSLion-at-aol.com.45310.0
Bob Riegl

Re: Thoughts about RF Air Pistol

Post by Bob Riegl »

First of all, turning targets have been bye-bye for a while now---RF targets are all controlled with Red & Green Lights---this is very easy to accomplish with a knowledge of electronics---the only achilles heel in these is the sound system used to determine early & late shooters. I would feel that going to long rifle pistols will bring out a new round of RF pistols specifically designed to fit the new event. The .22 short pistols were and are very cranky machines and the ammo is equally cranky---all producing lots of alibi runs. Even the highly touted Pardini Schumann and Electronic trigger GPE's were a bloody pain in the arse, with the most reliable the OSP and highly tuned Hammerli's. The IZH RF pistol never made it to the states to be evaluated and the MG3 will be a long time in coming. So let's wait and see what happens in the next four to five years in RF development and where will we go with this event. I am quite certain the event and the firearms will be undergoing a hell of a lot of R&D. Somehow I do not see "falling plates' on an Olympic venue.
Raymond Odle

Re: Thoughts about RF Air Pistol

Post by Raymond Odle »

Just a thought from a none RF shooter.
Since the distant between the targets are arbitrary, why not close the distant. Build a four wide trap with five turning B40 or AR-5/1 targets. The reactive targets would be more spectator friendly then lights and sound equipment.
Such a trap with a light pistol available to the grassroots community might attract more young beginning pistol shooters.