50m Smallbore Rifle - Cleaning of barrel

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Beta

50m Smallbore Rifle - Cleaning of barrel

Post by Beta »

The Smallbore rifles are normally cleaned by using the "pull through rod". However what is the prefered method of using such a rod? should the rod be inserted from the front of the barrel or from the bolt area? If from the front of the barrel, will it damage the front part of the barrel? if from the bolt area, cleaning of the rifle will be a "pushing through action" and there may be possiblities of scratching the barrel.. Any comments?
With Best Wishes,
Yours,
Beta
seaviewer-at-hotmail.com.45220.0
Ole Coach

Re: 50m Smallbore Rifle - Cleaning of barrel

Post by Ole Coach »

You never, NEVER, NEVER clean a rifle or pistol from the muzzle end---daddy spank if you do. The "pull through" or cleaning rod comes through from the BREECH end. With a "pull through" there is no need to remove the bolt. You can make a "pull through" from string trimmer material. E-mail me for instructions on how to make a "pull through."
fishnshoot-at-optonline.net.45224.45220
Bill Abernethy

Re: 50m Smallbore Rifle - Cleaning of barrel

Post by Bill Abernethy »

I haven't used anything but pull-through's for a long time now, and I guess that out of habit and out of a vague feeling that guns always should be cleaned from the breech, that is how I do it. But tell me, Ole Coach, what damage could a pull-through do if started at the muzzle? The wear on the crown/lands couldn't amount to anything unless you spent a long time sawing back and forth, seems to me.
Best,
Bill Abernethy

bill-at-wccnet.org.45237.45224