Transition from hand pump to Scuba air

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

BobZ

Transition from hand pump to Scuba air

Post by BobZ »

Having just bought a scuba tank I am wondering if I should just top off the cylinders of my Anschutz LP@ which I have been using hand pump air in.Or, should I expell all the hand pump air and refill the cylinders from scratch with completely dry scuba air. All opinions would be appreciated.
rzovinka-at-hvc.rr.com.44969.0
Joe Matusic, MD

Re: Transition from hand pump to Scuba air

Post by Joe Matusic, MD »

One of the last airgun letters or perhaps one of the airgun reviews that Tom Gaylord wrote addresses this, sort of. In the article, he actually added water to an air tank to show that the gun shoots out the water. I assume the concern about the water in the tank is that if is sits in there, the tank could rust and there have been reports of this. I have a pump and a scuba tank. I only keep the pump for that just in case kind of thing.
I would think that if you simply change to filling with the scuba tank and shoot the gun for a few refills, than the water should be expelled. I would wonder about drainng the tank completely as the seals appear to like having pressure behind them. Most of what I have heard about this hints at leaving a charge on PCP guns continuously.
Joe.Matusic-at-Camc.org.44979.44969