Scope Magnification

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

randy

Scope Magnification

Post by randy »

What scope magnification do people use, for shooting with smallbore target rifles fitted with telescopic sights at 50 and 100 ?
Are fixed mags or variable scopes most commonly used ?
Any recommendations as to which make/model is most suitable.
Thanks in advance.
Al Dart

Re: Scope Magnification

Post by Al Dart »

18x to 24x is about the range of most target scopes. If you go below 18x, you may not be able to see all of your shot holes at 100 yards. More than 24x can give you problems in heavy mirage. Most of the scopes I have seen are fixed power, but it really does not make much of a difference. If you are shooting position with a scope, you might want to use a lower power. That is where the variable might be nice to have. As to brands, Leupold is an excellent choice in the receiver mounted style. Weaver is also good. If you prefer the barrel mounted scope, a 1 1/2 inch Unertl would be my scope of choice although if you can find a Redfield 3200 in good shape, sell the car, hire the kids out and buy it.
Al

pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Unless you are shooting prone only then I think it is best to go with a receiver mt. scope. The long ones tend to mess up the balance of the rifle pretty badly for offhand. Specific models that I have heard very good things about for smallbore are the Leupold 6.5x20efr, Leuopld BR24 (discontinued but available used), Weaver T24 (discontinued but coming back this fall), Bushnell 4200 6x24.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.44449.44446
Randy

Post by Randy »

Thanks for replies.
What type of reticle should I be looking for.
Thanks again.
Al Dart

Post by Al Dart »

Straight cross hairs or the target dot are the two that you should consider. I prefer the dot. The dot that comes with the Leupold is pretty fine, however. If your eyes are old, the fine dots are hard to see sometimes. In that case, you may want to get a larger dot installed.
Al
Randy

Post by Randy »

I take it then that the standard Duplex type would be unsuitable ?
Would a fine Duplex be O.K ?