Pardini SP & HP grip roughening?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Stan Pace

Pardini SP & HP grip roughening?

Post by Stan Pace »

The factory grips, on both my SP and HP, while mildly stippled, are too slick for my taste. I have added some minor stippling with an awl, but the result is not as sharp as I would like it to be.
What methods have been used to get a more positive grip on these two pistols? Also, in the areas I have stippled, is it necessary to apply any sort of finish to that area? If so, what would preserve the grip without making it too slick again?
TIA
Mark

Re: Pardini SP & HP grip roughening?

Post by Mark »

I can't speak to the Pardini grips directly, but as for all the other grips, I've found that a nail with it's point blunted is very effective as a stippling tool. Clamp the nail in a pair of needlenose vicegrips, and then hammer away on the grips like a woodpecker. The result is very close to the Morini factory stippling.
As for finish, pure (non-polymerized) Tung oil is what I've been using and it doesn't seem to get slick. I've also applied colour-match stains (Polyshades) and then applied the Tung oil over it with no ill effects. Tung oil is also what I apply to the hammer handles and such that I make, so it's durability and grip characteristics are pretty good.
HTH
Mark.
Rick Eickhoff

Extreme Grip Texture Kit

Post by Rick Eickhoff »

TIA,
I mfg a kit for Champions Choice, for individuals who like rough texture grips.
see www.champchoice.com
Let me know if you have any question.
Rgds,
Rick

: The factory grips, on both my SP and HP, while mildly stippled, are too slick for my taste. I have added some minor stippling with an awl, but the result is not as sharp as I would like it to be.
: What methods have been used to get a more positive grip on these two pistols? Also, in the areas I have stippled, is it necessary to apply any sort of finish to that area? If so, what would preserve the grip without making it too slick again?
: TIA

reickhoff-at-stny.rr.com.44407.44400
scott

Post by scott »

Pick up a polymer bead product called 'Shark Grip' at any good paint store. They use it to improve traction around pools and on other slick surfaces.
Mix a little of the powder in with either paint or varnish and paint the contact gripping surfaces of your grip. It acts much like fine sand and really improves the grip surface, but being a polymer plastic product does so without risking getting an abrasive grit into the works of the gun.
Scott
submos-at-aol.com.44415.44400
roland cannon

Post by roland cannon »

I have used a dremel tool with a round bit to rough up the grip. Get an idea of where the border should be and tap the grip in random patterns. It looks fairly decent.
I had better luck with one of the electric engravers. I modified the bit to have a small "X" pattern. Again, tapping the grip at random places will eventually get a rough finish.
I chose not to finish the rough areas. Anything thick enough for a good finish also clogged up the holes.
Best of luck! Practice on an old 2x4 to get the hang of it.

Paul T (UK)

Post by Paul T (UK) »

I use the following on my Pardini rapid, Morini 162ei/Steyr LP5 and Hammerli SP20’s.
Mask-tape off areas not to be stippled.
In sections, apply small quantity of carpet tile adhesive. For FR, I would not like to consider applying to top of hand!
Sprinkle over surface grit used for sandpaper. A fine grade provides a surprisingly good surface. I use coarser grit on the SP20’s.
Wait for material to dry. The product will be easily removable if you do not like the finish. It is not suitable to shoot.
Apply modelling paint (colour to suit) to set and leave to dry.
Remove tape.
This leaves a surface that is both comfortable, can be re-applied/modified without impacting grip design and is impervious to mosquito repellent.
Note: plastic Hammerli/Morini wood is dissolved by some mosquito repellents.
Advise you test on a small area first to ensure adhesive will not “melt” plastic wood.
Hope this is helpful. I thought it was a wacky idea when I was told but I have been pleasantly surprised with the results.

paul-at-lans.demon.co.uk.44417.44400
Stan Pace

Thanks, guys (NT)

Post by Stan Pace »

JOE DIDONATO

Re: Extreme Grip Texture Kit

Post by JOE DIDONATO »

: TIA,
: I mfg a kit for Champions Choice, for individuals who like rough texture grips.
: see www.champchoice.com
: Let me know if you have any question.
: Rgds,
: Rick

:
: : The factory grips, on both my SP and HP, while mildly stippled, are too slick for my taste. I have added some minor stippling with an awl, but the result is not as sharp as I would like it to be.
: : What methods have been used to get a more positive grip on these two pistols? Also, in the areas I have stippled, is it necessary to apply any sort of finish to that area? If so, what would preserve the grip without making it too slick again?
: : TIA