Knoblock or Champions

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

cleanshot22

Knoblock or Champions

Post by cleanshot22 »

Thought I might poll everyone and see what problems in wear and tear, Screws stripping out or not staying tight etc... on these shooting glasses. I am seriously considering purchasing a pair for 3P shooting both air and smallbore. I followed the thread on the recent talk but did not see anyone talk about problems such as durability. Many thanks.
Sam Roberts

why no mention of Varga?

Post by Sam Roberts »

I am in the situation of needing to get a pair for 3p and air rifle.

kal-at-texas.net.44246.44241
AD

Re: Knoblock or Champions

Post by AD »

I shoot Air-Pistol and own a pair of Knoblochs(the latest model) for and have used it for a year now, except for the two screws which keep loosening themselves without fail every time I shoot I have not experienced another probelms and am quite happy with my pair.
AD
Jack H

Post by Jack H »

I have recently purchased a set of glasses from ISS. Mr Stepp was kind enough to send two frames for my examination.
In the end I chose the Olympic Champions with the (let's just call it "windage adjusting barrel nut" across the front). This nut makes it very easy to set one part of the adjustment. Further I added the Knobloch lens holder and slide adjuster. I like the Knoblock clip on iris better than the Champion hinged type which was near impossible to square up with it's lens. To accomplish this mating of Champion and Knobloch, I made a 90degree bent adaptor from welding rod, the legs of which are about 1" long. This set up is serving me well for pistol.
Another plus for the Champion Olympic frame is the rest of the adjustability in the nose piece and ear pieces- no hassle to get them just right. One more plus is the Olympic frame is wider than the other I tried. This is good for my fat head, or so I am told.

Michael Douglass

Post by Michael Douglass »

I have shot air and free pistol with both Knobloch and Champion. I was much happier with the Champions. There was no issue with screws coming loose. Once I got my lens in the correct spot I NEVER had to change it due to things coming loose in travel or just being carried around in my gun box. Also, if you are planning on ever shooting with filters, Champion is a better way to go. The filter system for Knobloch merely covers a part of the shooting lens whereas the champion filters cover the entire lens. Why bother puting a filter on to block the light you do not want and have it still come into your shooting eye?
Michael Dougalss

Cleanshot 22

Re: why no mention of Varga?

Post by Cleanshot 22 »

There was no reason except the reputation of the others are better known. Comments on the Varga would be gladly recieved as others.

Cleanshot22

Post by Cleanshot22 »

except for the two screws which keep loosening themselves without fail every time I shoot I have not experienced another probelms and am quite happy with my pair.
What 2 screws would you be referring to? Could some locktite repair this problem?

AD

Post by AD »

The two screws are those which hold the foward bar that contains the attachment for the blinder and lens holder to the main frame of the glasses. I do not know if locktite will repair this problem. Every now and then these screws keep coming loose and the only solution I know of is to kre-tighten them every time they come loose.
AD.

akshaydashrath-at-yahoo.co.in.44257.44256
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've had them both and sold the Champion's. I've had my original Knobloch's for over 10 years with not one problem. In fact, I liked them so much I recently purchased a set of the new style ones from Neal @ I.S.S.
The person who had my Champion's didn't care for them and sold them and bought a set of the Knobloch as well.
It's one of those items where everyone has their own personal preference on what is better. Myself IMHO prefere the Knoloch over the Champions.
It's like buying an air pistol, all the new high end/dollar ones, Walther, Styer, etc, will shoot one hole groups off a rest, it comes down to which one you like better.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: I shoot Air-Pistol and own a pair of Knoblochs(the latest model) for and have used it for a year now, except for the two screws which keep loosening themselves without fail every time I shoot I have not experienced another probelms and am quite happy with my pair.
: AD
===========
I solved that problem on my Knoblochs by painting each of the two screws with a good dollop of clear nail varnish. It can easily be removed with some nail polish remover (unlike locktite which I think is far too strong for such delicate screws). However as those two screws would only have to be removed to slide and entirely new lens holder on, I don’t think I'll ever need to do it.
I chose Knoblochs over Champions and love them. The Knobloch "centering device" is an ingenious solution to the tricky problem of getting the lens perfectly perpendicular and centred in front of your eye's iris. Also, as I normally wear glasses, Knoblocks offered an accessory which has enabled me to "stack" a blinder in front of a normal perscription lens over my non-aiming eye (the Champions did'nt seem to offer this when i was in the market). This enables me to lift my blinder and still "see" properly when reloading, or going forward to check targets / score / mark / patch.

Fortitudo_Dei-at-hotmail.com.remove.44261.44247
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Also, if you are planning on ever shooting with filters, Champion is a better way to go. The filter system for Knobloch merely covers a part of the shooting lens whereas the champion filters cover the entire lens. Why bother puting a filter on to block the light you do not want and have it still come into your shooting eye?
======
This is true if you use the rotating 3-filter turret system that Knobloch have designed, but Knobloch also offer a full size clip-on filter system just like Champion's.