Walmack front sight

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Tom Suswal

Walmack front sight

Post by Tom Suswal »

Hi to all that is looking at this post I am looking for a Walmack Front sight for S/B rifle. This sight was used in the 60's & 70's it came in 6 - 8 & 10 inch lenghts. Its key item was that you could reach-up and turn a knob to change the front sight from 50 to 100 yards. If you have one or know of someone who would like to sell it please let me know. Thank You

Tom Suswal
tsuswal@aol.com
tsuswal-at-aol.com.44154.0
Pete W

Re: Walmack front sight

Post by Pete W »

: I am looking for a Walmack Front sight for S/B rifle. ...turn a knob to change the front sight from 50 to 100 yards. ...
Tom, what you are talking about is a Womack Dual Range Front Sight, designed by W.H. Womack of 2124 Meriwether Road in Shreeveport, LA The knob you mention is actually the end of a tube which runs the length of the sight. The outside of the tube and the inside bore of the tube are eccentric by just enough to make up for the 7.5 minute drop from 50 to 100 yards. The sight came with three different sized plastic apertures in each of three colors, yellow, green and grey if I remember correctly. The apertures were tiny, and the inserts were an odd size, different from either Anshutz or Redfield.
The sight was well made and in testing the one that I own and am keeping, when switching from an X-ring zero at 50 yards, I needed only 1 click each, of elevation and windage to again be centered in the X-ring at 100 yards. Shooting a rifle with a fixed cheekpiece, this is a big plus, as you no longer have to crank the sight up and then shoot with a loose cheek at the longer ranges.
Good luck in your search.

CWells4638-at-aol.com.44156.44154
Tom Suswal

Re: Wolmack Dual Range Front Sight

Post by Tom Suswal »

Thanks for the correct name on this sight and that is the one I am looking for.