Air Cylinder Lubrication

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

BobZ

Air Cylinder Lubrication

Post by BobZ »

I will soon be the owner of an Anschutz LP@ air pistol.My question to you long time users is: How often should the threads on the cylinder be lubricated. What would the best lubricant be ? Sorry,someone wrote once about Pledge wax but I wasn't paying attention at that time,so please bear with me.
rzovinka-at-hvc.rr.com.44050.0
tommyg

Re: Air Cylinder Lubrication

Post by tommyg »

you should not use any combustible material around compressed air, especially 200-300 bar. I have seen pictures of a 2" stanless steel valve used in a high press.(2200 psi bottle,300-400psi after the pressure reducing vale) Oxygen system, that exploded and burned , because the seat material was a solid organic compound.(I know the person that was opening the valve at the time, he's lucky to be alive)
ABSOLUTELY no petroleum product should be used around compressed air, especially HP air. Pledge uses an aerosol Parafin (candle wax)
(just remember diesel engines inject petoleum fuel into hot compressed air)
I would suggest a water based, silicon grease, such as that used to lubricate rubber "o" rings.

: I will soon be the owner of an Anschutz LP@ air pistol.My question to you long time users is: How often should the threads on the cylinder be lubricated. What would the best lubricant be ? Sorry,someone wrote once about Pledge wax but I wasn't paying attention at that time,so please bear with me.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

When you feel removing and attaching the cylinder getting to be more difficult or you feel some roughness while screwing on the cylinder that means you have got to clean the thread of your cylinder and then oil it with as tommyg said a silicone based or water based oil. Silicone Oil is available on the market and you should use that. Wheb you first get your pistol it will be pre-oiled by the company and you would not have to touch the cylinder threading for the first 6 months(depends on how much you use it). I own a Walther LP300 and first oiled the threading after 5,000-7,000 shots.
Hawkeye

Mark

Post by Mark »

: I would suggest a water based, silicon grease, such as that used to lubricate rubber "o" rings.:
As additional information, I would add that silicon grease is available in many plumbing shops (I got mine at Home Depot). It needs to be applied very, very sparingly on the threaded nipple to which the cylinder attaches. I say this as the valve mechanisms in both of my LP-1's became contaminated with silicon grease as a result of my over-jealous use of this product.
Another reliable and easy-to-find lubricant is Crosmann PelGun Oil (last I checked, you could by this at WalMart, right beside the pellets and pellet guns). This is sold in small tubes of perhaps one liquid ounce. The oil's red in colour, synthetic in makeup, and designed specifically for use in airguns. It also has the added benefit of being easy to apply, and hasn't gummed up the gas valves in my guns. A little drop goes a long way.
Lubricating both the o-rings and the threads on the cylinder mount is a very good thing to do as it will save you from having expensive problems futher down the road.

Mark.
BobZ

Post by BobZ »

: I will soon be the owner of an Anschutz LP@ air pistol.My question to you long time users is: How often should the threads on the cylinder be lubricated. What would the best lubricant be ? Sorry,someone wrote once about Pledge wax but I wasn't paying attention at that time,so please bear with me.
I wish to thank all the people that responded to my inquiry,both those on the forum and those that e-mailed me. Thanks Again

rzovinka-at-hvc.rr.com.44086.44050
Paul

Post by Paul »

For lubricating my Steyr LP1, I use Dow Corning Vacuum Grease. It is a heavy clear grease, absolutely pure. It looks sort of like petroleum jelly, but is formulated for special applications where no contamination is required. At $9.00 a tube, one tube will last at least 30 lifetimes. Available at scientific supply shops.
JMJ

Post by JMJ »

Mark, can the pelgun oil also be used on the rubber O-ring? Thanks

: Lubricating both the o-rings and the threads on the cylinder mount is a very good thing to do as it will save you from having expensive problems futher down the road.
:
: Mark.

Mark

Post by Mark »