air rifle cylinder

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

W.A

air rifle cylinder

Post by W.A »

do I need to get the air out of the cylinder totally when traveling by air? Currently I have it on 110. How do I get the air out otherwise?
W.A
pdeal

Re: air rifle cylinder

Post by pdeal »

You did not say what type rifle but I know anschutz makes a gizmo that screws onto the end of the cylinder for letting the air out. Seems to me the fwb's come with this device.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.44010.44005
W.A

Post by W.A »

It's an Anschutz. I don't have any special gear to get the air out. Will that be a problem when taking it on an airplane?

David

Post by David »

just screw in the filling adapter (not connected to your pump or scuba tank). The air will vent. Yes it is a problem not to vent before placing on an airplane because it is illegal. If the tank ruptured, it could punch a hole in the airplane, which I doubt anyone on board would like.
Vent it. It is easy.
John

Post by John »

: just screw in the filling adapter (not connected to your pump or scuba tank). The air will vent. Yes it is a problem not to vent before placing on an airplane because it is illegal. If the tank ruptured, it could punch a hole in the airplane, which I doubt anyone on board would like.
: Vent it. It is easy.

That won't work with the Anschutz cylinder. The check valve is recessed in the end of the cylinder and is opened by the tank pressure when you fill it. For the Anschutz you need the special bleeder gizmo that pushes the check valve open to allow the air to vent.

Berry Kooiman

Post by Berry Kooiman »

There's also another way to release without the gizmo:
When you unscrew the cylinder you hear a little "pffff". Let the cylinder stay at this point and it will vent automatically and without any gizmo-device!
berrykooiman-at-hotmail.com.44060.44005
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Not on my 2002. By the time it makes the little "pff" (only 2 f's on mine) the cylinder valve is already closed and the air I hear is remaining air that is trapped between the cylinder and the rifle.

pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.44061.44060
GaryN

depressurize the tank

Post by GaryN »

Satellite

Just Shoot

Post by Satellite »

Yes, the higher altitude you go the less external pressure is on the tank. This increases the internal pressures of the Storage Tank. Especially dangerous in an airplane if the tank is not to be stored in the pressurized cabin.
Our rode bike tires use to blow up if we left them inflated to 100psi and drove over the Colorado Passes to attend road races. Just imagine how much higher you are traveling in a commercial airplane.
The simplest solution is to just shoot out as much pressure as your gun will allow to operate properly i.e. push the pellet out of the barrel. It doesn't have to be completely empty just don't leave 3000psi charge in the bottle. If they ask say it is as empty as mechanically possible.
Best Regards,
Satellite
P.S. You should also ship the bottles empty.

satellitepro-at-hotmail.com.44308.44005