World Masters Games

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Don Williams

World Masters Games

Post by Don Williams »

I thought it would be nice if I posted some info on the upcoming World Masters Games. They will be held July 22-31, 2005 in Edmonton, Canada. There are quite a few shooting events, so everyone should be able to take in the Games. The Strathcona Shooting Range on 50 Street will host the Clay Target, Smallbore rifle and Pistol events. This range was built in 1978 for the Commonewealth Games. The Ellerslie Curling Club on 71 Street will host the air rifle and air pistol events.
Minimum age for all shooting events is 30 years old as of the beginning of the Games. Competitors compete by age group, not skill level, in either 5 or 10-year increments, and they may also have a Class A,B,C, etc breakdown as well.
There is an Opening Ceremony, all sorts of off-time activities and a closing gathering that is always great to take in. I have attended 3 WMG's in the past, and have always had fun competing, and winning a medal or two now and then.
The WMG is bigger than the Olympics in numbers of participants, and this one in 2005 is probably going to be no exception.The WMG that just finished in Melbourne, Australia, had almost 25,000 athletes from 98 countries entered. Portland, in 1998, had 11,400 entered from 102 countries. Brisbane in 1994 had 24,500 entries from 74 countries. The first two, Toronto and Denmark, had quite a few less entries, but hardly anyone knew about these Games at that time.
In any case, if you would like a brochure, I have plenty of them to pass around. I will send you one, but I will need a #10-business sized SASE mailed to: Don Williams, 17446 S.W. Granada Dr, Beaverton, OR 97007. Or, you can check out their web site at: www.2005worldmasters.com for info.
One reason I am doing this is that in Melbourne, there were only 2 U.S.rifle shooters!! That is terrible and I am determined that there will be more in Edmonton.
Anyway, think about it and enter and have a good time.
Sometime around the opening, the host city for the 2009 WMG will be announced. Cities in the running include Shiga, Japan, Munich, Germany, Sydney, Australia, Montreal, Canada and Copenhagen, Denmark.
There are also other Masters Games going on every year, mostly in New Zealand and Australia. These are all fun, but they do not all have all the shooting events. I can send info on these, too, or you can do a search for Masters Games and find it yourself. Later. Don
bawilli-at-attglobal.net.43778.0
Tom

Re: World Masters Games

Post by Tom »

Do you have the link for shooting results for the 2003 games?
TM

t8monto-at-aol.com.43806.43778
Slo cat

Sounds interesting, What are Pistol Events? (NT)

Post by Slo cat »

Sounds interesting, What are Pistol Events?
slocat-at-aol.com.43815.43778
Spencer C

Re: World Masters Games - results

Post by Spencer C »

try the link below