Steyr Trigger...

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jerry LeVan

Steyr Trigger...

Post by Jerry LeVan »

Hi,
I just got off of a two month stint of shooting my Morini 162EI, I was starting to fade a bit and thought that going back to the LP10 might rejuvenate me.
I found two problems when I switched to the LP10.
1) I had too much drop in the grips, my forearm could feel the strain, I fixed this by easing back on the screws that control the drop.
2) With the Morini it seemed like I could get the trigger to break by gradually increasing the pressure at the end of the first stage. I find this *very* difficult to do with the LP10. Easing on the pressure generates an impression of pushing against a brick wall, nothing seems to happen and I soon start shaking. It appears that I really have to attack the trigger quickly in order to get off a steady shot. When I execute correctly I get no "brick wall" sensation. ( Unfortunately, squeezing straight back is a lot easier said than done. )
Is the "d*@m" trigger won't move syndrome unique to me with the LP10?
--Jerry
jerry.levan-at-eku.edu.43646.0
LesJ

Re: Steyr Trigger...

Post by LesJ »

Read these two chapters:
www.pilkguns.com/c5.htm
www.pilkguns.com/coach/jp003.htm
I find that when I notice my groups open up , I have bad trigger control , my grip and my forearm start to tense up it is due to me try to be "better" and start to pay attention to sight picture making sure it is where front sight should be in relation to bull. I know not to do that very well, yet it sneaks up on me once in a while and than it takes me 1 to two weeks to figure out what is the problem. It is mental, just relax as if you don't care about the score, pay attention to your performance only. I will also do some dry firing knowing that I will not shoot bad scores and that feeling I will carry to live firing.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Jerry,
Your post really hits home for me. I've been shooting LP-1's for a while and then purchased an LP-10. The trigger on the LP-10 is definitely not as nice as the LP-1. I can't get it adjusted to the point where it achieves the smoothness of the "I think, therefore I shoot" that's achievable with the LP-1. I'm working like heck to close my groups with the LP-10, but the flyers are clearly attributable to inability to get a shot off cleanly and quickly. Warren Potter has suggested I should focus more on damping barrel movement with more weight out front, and reducing the sight radius to cut down on our desire to see the "perfect" picture before we start to stack pressure on the second stage. I've been using his techniques for a couple of weeks now, but am still having a hard time breaking out of the low 90's, whereas I can switch to the LP-1 and shoot mid-90's right off the bat. The LP-10 definitely takes some finesse.

Cheers,
Mark.
Bob

Post by Bob »

: Is the "d*@m" trigger won't move syndrome unique to me with the LP10?
: --Jerry
Jerry, I have the same problem with my rifle and pistols, but I've blamed it my carpal tunnel problems more then the gun. Because every so often everything goes right, feels good and not like like I'm squeezing a 30 lb. trigger.