New glasses

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ade C

New glasses

Post by Ade C »

Had an eye test today and as I suspected, I need a new prescription for both reading and distance. For the first time I was brave enough to mention my requirements for shooting (I'm in the UK and this isn't something I discuss freely). To my relief the optician actually appeared to be interested, and duly took measurements for my required front sight distance.
I haven't chosen any frames yet, so my question is, would it be preferable to have a larger lens size to allow for different head positions when shooting single and double handed? (I shoot IPAS/practical type disciplines as well as 10m).
fc60

Re: New glasses

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

When I have a shooting lens made, I take my usual shooting stance and the Optometrist marks on the lens with a grease pencil the center of my pupil when aligning the sights. If no guns are allowed, merely focus on the end of your finger.

When initially cut, the lenses are round and the optical heart is in the center.

Once they know the offset, they cut the periphery to suit the frame and measured offset.

Bear in mind I have horrible vision and the above helps me quite a lot.

Cheers,

Dave
Ade C

Re: New glasses

Post by Ade C »

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying about the offset but my thinking was when double handed shooting with a squarer stance, I'd be looking more or less straight ahead.
From what you've described, there wouldn't be any benefit in having larger lenses to cater for both stances as the optical heart would be the same size regardless?