Gamo Compact windage adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steevyg

Gamo Compact windage adjustment

Post by Steevyg »

Hey everyone, I’ve been shooting my Gamo Compact for 4 months now, and I’m making good progress at 10m. Question: does anyone know how much movement at the target, one click of windage will make? Cheers.
brent375hh

Re: Gamo Compact windage adjustment

Post by brent375hh »

If you have a caliper, you can see how much it moves in 10 clicks to get a per click value. If you don't have a caliper, perhaps a feeler guage could work. If you have neither, you could measure across the whole range of windage using your best scale, and count the clicks.

Then measure your sight radius. If your sight radius is say 300mm and your shooting distance is 10 meters. 10,000/300=30.
If your click moves .1mm you would get 3mm impact change on the target. Plug in the values that you measure.

Not every gun has the same value for windage and elevation.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks Brent, that’s a comprehensive and helpful reply. Would I need to fix the gun in a vice to do this, do you think?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

No real need for a vise, as long as you can measure a fixed portion of the sight vs the moving blade.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks Brent.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Another option would be to shoot a group from a rest, then move the sight all the way to it's stop, counting the clicks. Shoot another group. Find the centers between the two groups and divide by the number of clicks. Then return the sight to it original setting.

This is all assuming it is not listed in your manual😊
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks Brent, that does sound somewhat easier!
No it’s not listed in the manual :-(
Rover

Post by Rover »

I prefer quick and dirty! How about four clicks per scoring ring? Prove me wrong.
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

I’d rather, if possible, have a definitive answer from someone who knows the answer! Common guys!
GoodEnuf

Post by GoodEnuf »

Don't have experience with the Gamo Compact but did a little research for you...

Pyramyd Air hosts Tom Gaylord's longtime blog of all things airgun. This is the same Gaylord of the turn of the millennium AirGun Newsletter fame. He has reviewed the Gamo Compact at least twice in the last 15 years, and compared it with the IZH-46 in another series of entries.

Editing: Someone (else) was commenting about the narrow rear sight spacing, not you, and all the following malarky about hidden adjustments is addressed to them...

To the point, he describes the hidden adjustable notch feature on the following page: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/04 ... -tutorial/,(April 8, 2008) if the notch is too small for you. Additionally, a search using "Gamo Compact" locates the reviews, each of about 5 pages spread out over several weeks, one in 2005 and another in 2015. These may be of interest to a new Gamo owner. He favorably addresses the use of the Gamo in an informal 10 meter setting, and supports his comments with testing and personal experiences.

A while back, I started reading his blog, starting with the oldest (~2005) (page ~360) and reading the 'present' direction. I am at page 190 at this time. He has limited 10 meter experience but writes enthusiastically and contributes in many other areas from ballistics to shooting bottle caps, with an emphasis on equipment reviews. To read from the beginning I replace the page numbers in the URL address. Otherwise, it is impossible to begin reading anywhere near the middle (2014). You can find it (if you care) by going to Pyramyd Air, Menu, Air Gun Resources, Blog...

Re: ^POI per click - If you cannot find the values somewhere maybe you can generate it theoretically ..??? It seems you would need only the pitch of the adjustment screw and the precise frontsight/rearsight distance, and distance to target (10m). Figure out how many clicks you get from each screw revolution, and with the specs above and a little trigonometry you could get what you are looking for.

JE
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:53 pm I prefer quick and dirty! How about four clicks per scoring ring? Prove me wrong.
I never measured mine, but I remember that the adjustments were a bit crude.
Two or three would be enough to change scoring ring...
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

GoodEnuf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:15 pm Don't have experience with the Gamo Compact but did a little research for you...

Pyramyd Air hosts Tom Gaylord's longtime blog of all things airgun. This is the same Gaylord of the turn of the millennium AirGun Newsletter fame. He has reviewed the Gamo Compact at least twice in the last 15 years, and compared it with the IZH-46 in another series of entries.

Editing: Someone (else) was commenting about the narrow rear sight spacing, not you, and all the following malarky about hidden adjustments is addressed to them...

To the point, he describes the hidden adjustable notch feature on the following page: https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/04 ... -tutorial/,(April 8, 2008) if the notch is too small for you. Additionally, a search using "Gamo Compact" locates the reviews, each of about 5 pages spread out over several weeks, one in 2005 and another in 2015. These may be of interest to a new Gamo owner. He favorably addresses the use of the Gamo in an informal 10 meter setting, and supports his comments with testing and personal experiences.

A while back, I started reading his blog, starting with the oldest (~2005) (page ~360) and reading the 'present' direction. I am at page 190 at this time. He has limited 10 meter experience but writes enthusiastically and contributes in many other areas from ballistics to shooting bottle caps, with an emphasis on equipment reviews. To read from the beginning I replace the page numbers in the URL address. Otherwise, it is impossible to begin reading anywhere near the middle (2014). You can find it (if you care) by going to Pyramyd Air, Menu, Air Gun Resources, Blog...

Re: ^POI per click - If you cannot find the values somewhere maybe you can generate it theoretically ..??? It seems you would need only the pitch of the adjustment screw and the precise frontsight/rearsight distance, and distance to target (10m). Figure out how many clicks you get from each screw revolution, and with the specs above and a little trigonometry you could get what you are looking for.

JE
Thanks JE for your considered, extended and helpful response. I’ve checked out and read a lot from Tom on the Gamo and it’s been very informative.

Your method of determining the windage movement at the poi seems useful - thank you.
I’ve actually emailed Gamo in Spain with the same query, although I’ve contacted them twice in the past for other reasons and they’ve just referred me to the shop I bought it from in the UK!
Steevyg

Post by Steevyg »

Thanks for you input rmca, I think you could be right about the 2-3 clicks being a score width, probably more like two - but hey, what do I know, I’m a newbie! :-)