Here a pellet, there a pellet, everywhere a pellet pellet

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Lifetokerz

Here a pellet, there a pellet, everywhere a pellet pellet

Post by Lifetokerz »

I am shooting an IZH-46M 10 meter air pistol....what are you peoples suggestion on which high quality pellets to try....Anyone tried Nygord's in their IZH_46M?....Or anyone tried Nygord's at all?
thanks Life
lifetokerz-at-aol.com.43471.0
Shin

Re: Here a pellet, there a pellet, everywhere a pellet pelle

Post by Shin »

Check this...
http://www.pilkguns.com/homerange.htm

: I am shooting an IZH-46M 10 meter air pistol....what are you peoples suggestion on which high quality pellets to try....Anyone tried Nygord's in their IZH_46M?....Or anyone tried Nygord's at all?
: thanks Life

shin07-at-hotmail.com.43474.43471
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

: I am shooting an IZH-46M 10 meter air pistol....what are you peoples suggestion on which high quality pellets to try....
Dear Life,
Medium quality pellets are good enough for any pistol, unless you are already good enough to win Olympic medals. Though quality pellets at competition are safer, because random manufacturing defects are less probable, using them for practice is not cost effective.
Best regards, Alexey
alexey931-at-list.ru.43476.43471
Greg Uyehara

Post by Greg Uyehara »

I have the ish 46M it’s a big bang for the buck! I’ve tried numerous brands of pellets including Nygord’s 4.49mm. The izh seem to me to be minutely affected by pellet brands of today’s standards, at 10M anyway. Beyond that probably ill affects are more so.
The izh is more sensitive to improperly applied techniques then pellet brand(s), for me snitching the trigger 8^(
My Morini 162EI on the other hand seems to like Nygord’s.
Aloha, Greg Uyehara

gku-at-hawaii.rr.com.43477.43471
Mark Rogers

Post by Mark Rogers »

I had an IZH-46 for several years and found that RWS Meisterkugeln blue's worked just fine. In fact, as stated previously, it will shoot quite well with most decent pellets. You could probably use RWS Geco's and not see much difference. At competition I used RWS R-10. I never got too hung up on pellets, just used a good brand and worked hard on sight concentration and trigger control, this is far more important, IMHO.
Cheers!
mark
: I am shooting an IZH-46M 10 meter air pistol....what are you peoples suggestion on which high quality pellets to try....Anyone tried Nygord's in their IZH_46M?....Or anyone tried Nygord's at all?

Rodm

Post by Rodm »

I used Nygord pellets in my IZH and had good results with them. You can use less expensive pellets and get as good results although I would still stick with Match grade or practice pellets such as the Vogal or the JSB SCHaK. These are the same pellet as the match but made to less exacting standards. Still they are a quality pellet. Stay away from cheep pellets. The price difference isn't worth the "is that one in the white my fault or the pellets?" Know who is responsible, use a pellet you have confidence in. I have used the SCHaK pellets for practice for a couple of years now and would take them to competition without feeling at risk.

ramadsen-at-iname.com.43482.43471
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hi Life.
Pellets can make a difference if you're a good shot, especially so with air rifle. Air pistol is a different kettle of fish. Technique decides the day, so that's where the focus should be.
That being said, the price difference between match brand "A" and match brand "B" usually isn't that much, especially when you break down the cost to every shot or every 100 shots. Shoot the best you can afford and the brand that you have confidence in (very important). I always shoot H&N Final Match because I trust it, but I'm not tied to it. I'll probably do some testing this fall.
You want to make sure that the pellets are well formed and relatively shiny, not old and dull (oxidized). Lead doesn't really shine but you can see the difference between old pellets and new pellets. You don't want to foul your pistol barrel using lousy pellets.
Additionally, two pistols, of the same airgun model, may like different pellets. One may like H&N Final Match and the other may perform better with R-10. There is no single best pellet for a model of gun. With testing, you can find the best pellet for _your_ specific gun.
The key to your development is going to be in your technique, not in pellets. If you feel like shooting, use what you have at hand. If the best available brand is too expensive for you, get what you feel is reasonable and SHOOT! Don't put off training or hold back because of a perceived cost. Continue your dryfiring and get out to the range and train. Lastly, compete whenever you can.
Good shooting.
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.43483.43471
Mako

Post by Mako »

Size might be more important ... some of the cheapest "super market" brands will literally fall through the IZH46 barrel .... many IZH46 barrels seem to like 4.5 pellets.
Don Nygord feels that heavy match pellets are generally the most accurate in match air pistols. So don't bother with the "High Speed" (ie, light weight) pellets.
Personally, I used many 1,000's of inexpensive GECOS when I was starting off with my IZH ...
Now I would use the VOGEL Sport pellets in 4.5 ... that Pilkguns sells.
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.43485.43471
Pete W

Post by Pete W »

: what are you peoples suggestion on which high quality pellets to try...
It's been said before, by better men than me, but until you have earned the first 95 points, by work, work and more work, don't bother trying to buy the last five points. I have 20,000 Champion's Choice pellets that will group 20 shots completely inside the 10 ring. What do I want with spending another $3 or $4 per tin for pellets that will all hit the center 10 ring until such time as my average is well above 90? Spending that money right now would buy you an occassional point, but quality practice, dry firing and light weight workouts would gain you a lot more.
Good luck and great scores,
CWells4638-at-aol.com.43488.43471
Questor

Post by Questor »

I think it's worthwhile buying decent quality pellets, though not premium match pellets. The Vogels are good, and so are the Nygords. They don't leave a lot of lead dust on your finger tips, they're consistently made. I used Gamos for a while and they are fine in terms of accuracy, but I found it worth spending a little more money on pellets that are cleaner and more consistent.
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

I like to buy my pellets by the 5000 and the targets by the 1000. I shoot 5 pellets per target for practice. This means I can buy both targets and pellets at one time.
Consider using Pilkington's targets and pellets. Save the extra shipping. Pilk's targets are $42 per thousand and the Vogel pellets run $46 to $60 per 5000. Targets and pellets cost 1.74 to 2.0 cents per shot.
If using premium pellets makes you feel better about your shooting, the extra $14 per thousand is probably worth it.