How do you USUALLY score a shot if it is ON the ring?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Lifetokerz

How do you USUALLY score a shot if it is ON the ring?

Post by Lifetokerz »

What is the scoring method if the shot is on the line and not in between the rings? What if it is for the most part in the 9 ring but partly in the 8 ring? 8.5???
thanks life
lifetokerz-at-aol.com.43419.0
LesJ

Re: How do you USUALLY score a shot if it is ON the ring?

Post by LesJ »

For example: if shot is mainly in 8 but it broke 9 line it is scored as 9. If it is hard to call you need to use appropriate gauge which will help you to determine if it is higher or lower score.
You have lots of questions on rules, which is excellent that you strive to learn them. My I suggest that you call USA Shooting and order rule book. It is a must if you plan to compete.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

: For example: if shot is mainly in 8 but it broke 9 line it is scored as 9. If it is hard to call you need to use appropriate gauge which will help you to determine if it is higher or lower score.
: You have lots of questions on rules, which is excellent that you strive to learn them. My I suggest that you call USA Shooting and order rule book. It is a must if you plan to compete.
Les has given you extremely good advice. You must know the rules.
To answer your question, if a shot just touches a line then it scores the higher value. When you read the rules though you will see that the hole does not always need to visibly touch the line, that's where the use of gauges comes in.

dalevene-at-blueyonder.co.uk.43423.43420
Richard

Post by Richard »

The link below will take you to the ISSF Rules on-line.
govtmodel-at-hotmail.com.43427.43419
David M

Scoring Systems

Post by David M »

Not all scoring is the same.
The ISSF system - if it touches the line (but does not have to cut the line) you score the higher score. [Note a .32 is scored with a .38 gauge, so it does not even touch the line to get the higher score.]
The MLIAC system - you have to get half the shot over the line to score the higher score. Hence it can score multiple calibres evenly.
Best bet - is to get hold of the ruls book for the event you are shooting.
Rolyf

Misuse of Outward Scoring Plug

Post by Rolyf »

In my AP shooting experience I have found the use of the Outward Scoring Plug to be the most misunderstood by scorers.
If the plug does not break through the outer scoring circle, the shot rightfully receives the higher value. If the plug touches (but does not break into) the lower scoring black* area it STILL receives the higher value (keep in mind the scoring RINGS are white in the 10,9,8 area).
*on the black area of a target, ie the 10,9,8,7 rings.
The second thing is the Close Groups rule. Many competitions are scored 5 shots to the target. Sometimes only three distinct holes can be seen, all contiguous. In that case the scorer must score the 2 'missing' shots at the highest value of the 3 discernable shots.
I had planned to be outside painting now but it's raining after two beautiful days here in NH. So here I am "stuck" on TT. Might even be forced to practice if the rain keeps up.
Crud, I just reread my paragraph about scoring with the plug. Confused? I don't blame you. There are some nice pictures in the Rules which clear it all up.
Ref USAS 6.7.15A and USAS 6.7.15.6
Rolyf-at-aol.com.43429.43423