Help picking .22 target handgun

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Armand Boivin

Help picking .22 target handgun

Post by Armand Boivin »

Good Afternoon,
I am searching for a .22 cal. handgun that will be primarily used for targets. So far I am looking at Browning camper camo, browning standard target, Ruger MK II, Possibly the trailside, even contemplating the beretta Neos. I am looking for something that is easily stripped and re-assembled, accurate, fun to shoot. This will actually be my very first gun. Any help or recommendations you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Questor over at Graybeardoutdoors.com recommended that I post here for target information.
Thank you in advance for all information and recommendations.
Thanks,
Armand Boivin
alboivin-at-verizon.net.43320.0
Patrick

Re: Help picking .22 target handgun

Post by Patrick »

Hi Armand.
Of the guns you've mentioned, I'd lean towards the Ruger MK II. In it's class, its hard to beat, being both economical and accurate with a proven track record. Unfortunately, it can be ugly to tear apart. With practice though, it can be done quite easily.
Additionally, there is alot of aftermarket accessories for the MK II, such as anatomical grips. Finally, any good gunsmith can work on the trigger to make it a pretty decent standard pistol.
BUT don't kid yourself: this isn't a high end competition target pistol. Depending on your budget, you can buy brands like Hammerli, Pardini, Walther and Morini which will make your shooting alot easier (not necessarily better.) I've seen master scores from a Ruger but the shooter had to work hard to make it happen. (Similarly, spending over a grand on a pistol doesn't guarantee anything.)
Is there a reason that you're looking at the Ruger and Browning-type pistol? Have you considered buying a used target gun?
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.43324.43320
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Armand, Since you have never owned a handgun I would strongly advise seeking out an experienced shooter to show you the ropes. Along with semiautos like you have mentioned, there are also revolvers which are also accurate (Colt Diamondback, S&W K22, for a couple) and more straight forward in their function. The safety debate is endless on revolver vs semiauto, but there are many of us who started with revolvers and still feel more comfortable shooting them\
: Good Afternoon,
: I am searching for a .22 cal. handgun that will be primarily used for targets. So far I am looking at Browning camper camo, browning standard target, Ruger MK II, Possibly the trailside, even contemplating the beretta Neos. I am looking for something that is easily stripped and re-assembled, accurate, fun to shoot. This will actually be my very first gun. Any help or recommendations you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Questor over at Graybeardoutdoors.com recommended that I post here for target information.
: Thank you in advance for all information and recommendations.
: Thanks,
: Armand Boivin

chrisbobhuff-at-worldnet.att.net.43326.43320
Armand

Post by Armand »

I am completely open to other recommendation for handgun manufacutrers\models. Please post any recommendations. I have been thinking about the hammerli (sigarms) trailside but not quite sure yet. I really appreciate all the information. Definitely post some alternative models\manufactures and I will check to see where I can find them around here or anyplaces on line to find them.
Any information\recommendations you can give will help me on my road to finding a nice handgun.

Thank you,
Armand
: Hi Armand.
: Of the guns you've mentioned, I'd lean towards the Ruger MK II. In it's class, its hard to beat, being both economical and accurate with a proven track record. Unfortunately, it can be ugly to tear apart. With practice though, it can be done quite easily.
: Additionally, there is alot of aftermarket accessories for the MK II, such as anatomical grips. Finally, any good gunsmith can work on the trigger to make it a pretty decent standard pistol.
: BUT don't kid yourself: this isn't a high end competition target pistol. Depending on your budget, you can buy brands like Hammerli, Pardini, Walther and Morini which will make your shooting alot easier (not necessarily better.) I've seen master scores from a Ruger but the shooter had to work hard to make it happen. (Similarly, spending over a grand on a pistol doesn't guarantee anything.)
: Is there a reason that you're looking at the Ruger and Browning-type pistol? Have you considered buying a used target gun?
: Patrick

Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: I am completely open to other recommendation for handgun manufacutrers\models. Please post any recommendations. I have been thinking about the hammerli (sigarms) trailside but not quite sure yet. I really appreciate all the information. Definitely post some alternative models\manufactures and I will check to see where I can find them around here or anyplaces on line to find them.
I suppose it all depends whether you want to just have fun plinking at tin cans (and there is nothing wrong with that), or if you want to get a bit more serious and consider target shooting.
If you are considering target shooting, one pistol I would suggest you consider would be a second-hand Walther GSP in .22. Look around and you could find one for the roughly the same price as some of the lower-grade guns you are considering would be new. They are modular (new trigger units, barrels etc) can easily be dropped in) or swapped with other GSP's. They seem to last an eternity (they have been around for decades and are still being made) and are incredibly accurate and well made.
Another excellent Euro pistol to consider, which you can purchase new for the same price as many US guns is the Russian made IZH-35m. Have a look at http://izh.petebrunelli.com/ (if the site is working) and http://www.geocities.com/drclem/IZH.html
Just a thought - one thing to keep in mind though if you are consider a higher grade European gun (and almost all of them are European) is that most magazines fit only 5 rounds, where as US made semi-auto .22 plinkers normally hold about twice that. If you just want a pistol for plinking, you might find a 5 round limit frustrating.

Fortitudo_Dei-at-hotmail.com.remove.43336.43328
Todd

Post by Todd »

: I am searching for a .22 cal. handgun that will be primarily used for targets. So far I am looking at Browning camper camo, browning standard target, Ruger MK II, Possibly the trailside, even contemplating the beretta Neos. I am looking for something that is easily stripped and re-assembled, accurate, fun to shoot. This will actually be my very first gun. Any help or recommendations you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Questor over at Graybeardoutdoors.com recommended that I post here for target information.
not sure if they are the gun the used to be but
have you looked at a High Standard, my father shot those in three gun competitions and won and was also the range instuctor for MANY years for MPLS police Dept. He still talks of his regret in selling that gun. never a misfire and if you could buy one out of the box it was Perfect and didnt need work done before going to compete with it! its a thought he was partial to the fluted barrel design. hope this helps

twest-at-sherbtel.net.43338.43320
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

First of all, hold and shoot as many guns as possible. You will not regret it. Ask any friends (or aquantances) if you can shoot a few rounds through their gun. Offer to buy them a box of ammo (of their choice) but they will probably let you shoot 5-10 rounds. Go to ranges that have rental guns and see what they have. Most will have a Ruger and maybe a Neos.
As mentioned in the other posts, what you want to do is most important. If you want to get start shooting, plink and maybe give target shooting a try, then I would go with a Ruger, Browning, Sig, and I would add the S&W 22. All of the guns have "normal" grips. That makes it esier to share the guns with friends and transition to other non-target guns. All will shoot cheap high velocity ammunition with no problem, and for competition you should be able to find a relatively inexpensive (<$20 for a brick of 500) type of ammo that will be accurate.
If your interest is target, but you are not sure how serious you will be, or have never done it before, I would push you to a Ruger (I am a Ruger fan). There is a huge parts and knowledge database to draw on, and unless you are a shooting prodigy, it will be years before you can outshoot the gun (it took me about 4 years). I think the difficulty in re-assembling the gun blown way out of proportion. It is easy once you get the hang of it. Really easy. If you change your ming, it will not lose much value.
If you are pretty sure that target shooting is what you want I would start with the IZH35. This is a true target gun with anatomical grips. I've seen them in the CDNN catalog for pretty good prices. There is a growing knowledge base on the web to help you out. If you are going at this all alone, I would be cautious. Many people have had problems with their IZH's and the customer service at EAA (the importer) is infamously bad. The problems are fixable, but I would want to have access to people who shoot IZHs or a gunsmith who has worked on them. They can be finicky about what ammo they like, but you should be able to find an inexpensive type that shoots well. Perhaps a used Walther GSP, mentioned in another post, would be a good deal. I am not familiar enough to say.
If you are serious, or if you always want "The Best" regardless of cost, then you want a true target pistol, Pardini, Walther, Feinwerkbau, Morini, Hammerli. Be prepared to spend $1000+ USD. You do not want to shoot cheap high velopcity ammo in them. You may have to spend a little more on ammo to get good accuracy and reliable feeding. Look at our host's website (pilkguns.com) as well as the others listed below. These guns have customized anatomical grips. It is difficult to share the guns with others, unless you have the same size hands.
Here are a few websites to look at:
www.pilkguns.com
www.nygordprecision.com
www.precisiontargetarms.com
www.nealjguns.com
www.larrysguns.com
www.cdnninvestments.com
Good Luck
Steve T (IL)

Steve T

One More thing

Post by Steve T »

When you shoot rental or borrowed guns here are the questions to ask yourself.
How does it feel in my hand? Is the grip comfortable? Does it feel nose heavy? Hold it up for 20-30 seconds and see if it is too heavy (a Ruger with a 7" barrels can be heavy). You can strengthen your arm, but will you?
Does it naturally settle into your hand in a way that the sights are lined up? or do you need to shift it around and/or nd your wrist?
Does it always fit in my hand the same way?
Pull the trigger slowly and ask yourself what the trigger feels like? Is there any "creeping" before it breaks? does the trigger jump back after it breaks (overtravel)?

: First of all, hold and shoot as many guns as possible. You will not regret it. Ask any friends (or aquantances) if you can shoot a few rounds through their gun. Offer to buy them a box of ammo (of their choice) but they will probably let you shoot 5-10 rounds. Go to ranges that have rental guns and see what they have. Most will have a Ruger and maybe a Neos.
: As mentioned in the other posts, what you want to do is most important. If you want to get start shooting, plink and maybe give target shooting a try, then I would go with a Ruger, Browning, Sig, and I would add the S&W 22. All of the guns have "normal" grips. That makes it esier to share the guns with friends and transition to other non-target guns. All will shoot cheap high velocity ammunition with no problem, and for competition you should be able to find a relatively inexpensive (<$20 for a brick of 500) type of ammo that will be accurate.
: If your interest is target, but you are not sure how serious you will be, or have never done it before, I would push you to a Ruger (I am a Ruger fan). There is a huge parts and knowledge database to draw on, and unless you are a shooting prodigy, it will be years before you can outshoot the gun (it took me about 4 years). I think the difficulty in re-assembling the gun blown way out of proportion. It is easy once you get the hang of it. Really easy. If you change your ming, it will not lose much value.
: If you are pretty sure that target shooting is what you want I would start with the IZH35. This is a true target gun with anatomical grips. I've seen them in the CDNN catalog for pretty good prices. There is a growing knowledge base on the web to help you out. If you are going at this all alone, I would be cautious. Many people have had problems with their IZH's and the customer service at EAA (the importer) is infamously bad. The problems are fixable, but I would want to have access to people who shoot IZHs or a gunsmith who has worked on them. They can be finicky about what ammo they like, but you should be able to find an inexpensive type that shoots well. Perhaps a used Walther GSP, mentioned in another post, would be a good deal. I am not familiar enough to say.
: If you are serious, or if you always want "The Best" regardless of cost, then you want a true target pistol, Pardini, Walther, Feinwerkbau, Morini, Hammerli. Be prepared to spend $1000+ USD. You do not want to shoot cheap high velopcity ammo in them. You may have to spend a little more on ammo to get good accuracy and reliable feeding. Look at our host's website (pilkguns.com) as well as the others listed below. These guns have customized anatomical grips. It is difficult to share the guns with others, unless you have the same size hands.
: Here are a few websites to look at:
: www.pilkguns.com
: www.nygordprecision.com
: www.precisiontargetarms.com
: www.nealjguns.com
: www.larrysguns.com
: www.cdnninvestments.com
: Good Luck
: Steve T (IL)

: : Good Afternoon,
: : I am searching for a .22 cal. handgun that will be primarily used for targets. So far I am looking at Browning camper camo, browning standard target, Ruger MK II, Possibly the trailside, even contemplating the beretta Neos. I am looking for something that is easily stripped and re-assembled, accurate, fun to shoot. This will actually be my very first gun. Any help or recommendations you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Questor over at Graybeardoutdoors.com recommended that I post here for target information.
: : Thank you in advance for all information and recommendations.
: : Thanks,
: : Armand Boivin

Armand

Post by Armand »

Thank you so much for the information and the sites. As of right now I am looking for a gun to train on(primarily targets). not sure what else there is out there for guns right now. I am joining the local sporting club and I will see what else they offer. I have shot guns before just never owned one. I will check out the sites and get more information that way as well. Please keep all the information and recommendations coming.
I will see if I might be able to find an EAA IZH35 that I might be able to hold and see how it feels.

Thank you,
Armand

Steve

Post by Steve »

Armand,
If ease of cleaning and operation is high on your list, I'd take a look at a S+W model 41 (if it's in your price range). They are very easy to take apart and clean (you don't need a screw driver or a mallet), and new ones come drilled and tapped for easy scope mounting.
Good Luck,
Steve.

tenex-at-sbcglobal.net.43376.43320
Dave

Post by Dave »

pay particular atention to he triggers of tried samples. i's hard to get accuracy out of any gun with a poor trigger. Some triggers are much better than others "out of the box". Some must be sent to a gunsmith to get "acceptable". The biggest difference you will find in the higher end guns is there superb triggers. : Thank you so much for the information and the sites. As of right now I am looking for a gun to train on(primarily targets). not sure what else there is out there for guns right now. I am joining the local sporting club and I will see what else they offer. I have shot guns before just never owned one. I will check out the sites and get more information that way as well. Please keep all the information and recommendations coming.
: I will see if I might be able to find an EAA IZH35 that I might be able to hold and see how it feels.
:
: Thank you,
: Armand