High End Air PCP air rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

northpaw

High End Air PCP air rifles

Post by northpaw »

Hi.
Recently bought two secondhand air rifles; Hatsan BT 65 RB .177, and Diana Stormrider .177. The Hatsan is very heavy, sturdy, the Diana Stormrider is leightweight, none are regulated, but I plan to install regulator into each of them to improve consistency and accuracy (Huma or Lane).

But, I am looking to upgrade to upper shelf PCPs, the very best, at power levels beyond that of 10 m ISSF target rifles. Guns from Daystate, Edgun and FX come to mind.

Daystate guns, made in UK, apparently?
Edguns made in Russia? (hard to tell))
FX made in Sweden (or parts made elsewhere, rifles assembled in Sweden?)

Asking for unbiased considerations about air rifles, from present or former owners and users of guns from these companies.

Thanks.
Richard144

Re: High End Air PCP air rifles

Post by Richard144 »

looks like you want to go from the bottom to the top in one trip!
Daystate is made in the UK and has been around since the beginning of PCP.
Edgun is from Russia and FX is from Sweden and made there.
Full disclosure-My guns are AirArms, Anschutz, and Weihrauch.
Here's my take on your choices.
If you want a great long lasting rifle that you do not need to tinker with the Daystate is unbeatable... and they look more like a rifle than a piece of plumbing.
Edgun rifles are very good too. The Russians know how to make airguns. Guys tend to tinker with these a little.
FX is an innovator and is always trying to improve their product but guys seem to always be tinkering with them and tweaking and tweaking and tweaking.
Some guys like to tinker. I prefer to shoot. I have friends that shoot all of the above. They are all good. I have what I have because I like it.
I hope this helps in your choice.
Rick B.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Thanks, Richard144.
Russian Edguns? Do I have to worry about spare parts availability?

FX guns, "tweaking, tinkering"..forever? Some FX guns have 2 regulators (FX Impact mk III), individually and externally adjustable.. good news for "tinkers".

I have used and competed a l ot with 10 m air rifles, single stroke pneumatics, from Walther and FWB, half a dozen or more through the years. Could use them extensivelly, for years without any problem. Replace a gasket, maybe, no more. But i want to use the guns for informal plinking and targets at ranges even in excess of 50 m. The 10 m ISSF competition air rifles are not suitable for those extended ranges.

The brittish know airguns.
Daystate: https://daystate.com/rifles/redwolf/

Did I say the brittish? Seems Daystate is owned by italians: "In March 2014 Brocock was purchased by Diana Group owners of Italian gun makers Marocchi & Breda... ". Diana? That Diana? Once upon a time reknowned for air guns of high quality? Diana today - cheap guns made in China under the Diana brand. (e.g. Diana Stormrider.)

But they come with electronicks. Have to charge batteries, introducing more features, that could fail? Are electronic pressure gaugegs a must? I´ll say no. Make my pressure gauges analog, please.

But that Daystate Red Wold is an attractive gun. Does it sport too many inovative (electronic) features? Maybe so, for me. (An old school bloke.)
Gard72977

Post by Gard72977 »

I am older 49 and never competed in any of the matches on the fourm. I visit and read because I like shooting match rifles

You mention power so I assume you want to shoot longer ranges.

I favor Sillhouette shooting. For air rifles I use a Styer Hunter Challenge PCP. Very consistant gun with top notch trigger. This gun is consistant everytime you take it out. Im not a tinkerer. I chose this gun because of its reputation and im very satisfied.

Rams are shot at 45yds. With a 10.65gr pellet it bucks the wind very well.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

AirArms are probably equal to Daystate for quality and are entirely British made, but use Lothar Walther barrels. BSA PCP R10 and various other models in the range are pretty high end, although the Spanish company Gamo own BSA, barrels and other components are still made by BSA Birmingham England