Get a grip, man!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Get a grip, man!

Post by Rover »

I frequently see ads and posts here inquiring about Rink or other after-market grips.

It's my opinion that factory grips will fit as well as some "off-the-rack" ones, and that you should learn to modify (file and putty) the grips you have. You often see the phrase, "They fit like a glove." Unfortunately, that is not what is needed.

I'd like comments on how well your "new" grips fit, and how much modification was needed. Did you feel chumped for buying new ones or did you have a leap in your scores? Were you able to "buy points"?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Last edited by Rover on Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
william

Re: Get a grip, man!

Post by william »

Let the denial and self-delusion begin!
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Each pistol grip will work together on the result of the shooting individually. We would like to, but there is no universal guide on how to make the best grip. Everyone will enjoy something different and it will still depend on other environmental conditions, ie. time of day, weather, season, immediate physical-body condition and I do not know what else. The grip from the pistol manufacturer should match the proportions of the hand and the abilities of the average shooter. If such a handle fits you, I mean, if it really hits the target the way it should and the way you want, you're very lucky. Others should try, modify or change. As a result, these changes have a short-term and long-term effect (gloves - first impression versus long-term stability and improved results in shooting competitions). Coincidence is a big factor, as is life itself. If you understand this and feel that your grip is good, stop adjusting it and continue to focus on improving shooting techniques only, because that is the only right way to gain stability and the ability to quickly analyze and eliminate your mistakes. These are the most important factors for achieving the best results.
You can objectively assess the effect of handle modifications or the replacement of a new handle using a SCATT device. Not everyone has the opportunity to use scatt systematically and indefinitely. A very experienced trainer, not a shooter, can also help.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, I guess no one will be posting about their new Rink grips.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:52 am Well, I guess no one will be posting about their new Rink grips.
Lol. Well, I'm waiting as the putty dries on the Precision Pistol Grips grip that Andrew Berryhill made for my AP20. It's semi-custom based on a scan of an LP400 grip scan tweaked to my hand measurements. He did a nice job. The palm shelf needs to be tighter. Once that's done there will likely be two spots that will need some minor dremel work. Cost less than Rink.....
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

The grips that came with my AW93 did not fit me at all. So yes I was able to shoot much better with the grips rink made for me. They are not 100% prefect but they are close. They were worth every penny.
william

Post by william »

Question for Rover:
Which do you think is the stronger driving force:
1. Aversion to (fear of?) files, Dremel tools, and epoxy wood-filler; or
B. Desire to maintain high resale value by keeping grips intact?
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

william wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:48 pm Question for Rover:
Well, I'm not Rover, but I'll relate my personal experience. I've done a lot of reading about how to modify grips and all of it seemed pretty esoteric to me. There are no hard and fast rules and a lot of "instructions" seem pretty vague about how to begin this exercise and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.

I waffled for a long time because I did not want to make a mistake and finally decided that I just needed to dive in. If I added too much material I have files and a Dremel to fix that. If I take too much off of the grip, well, I have both wood putty and epoxy to fill that in.

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I've gotten it "right" and probably never will. However, I do know that when I take my stance and raise the gun, I come up in the center of the target with the front and rear sights very closely aligned, so maybe I've gotten it right.

YMMV

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
Church Key

Post by Church Key »

I've been shooting a FWB 65 with the "H" (large grips) for a while. Really liked their fit, however decided to get a Morini 162MI as am 83 and the cocking was getting fatiguing. Spent a bunch of time researching grips and settled on using the Steyr grip sizing method which came out to be a medium grip in two measurements and a borderline large in the third. Got the medium. Wish I could have tried out an actual gun, but had to get it online as no one near me sells them. Anyhow, got the Morini and had to extend the grip to its maximum opening and Dermel a bit on the rear of the lower portion, plus grind down a couple of high spots; one on the right side which was impacting my palm and another was uncomfortable for my middle finger. Took my time and removed material slowly. They now fit me fine. At my age the chances of my hand getting larger is nil, so I'm set.

Bottom line is probably should have gotten a large grip, but would most likely still have to file some high spots. I figure that I would have to do the same with custom grips, so why bother?
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

10m pistol is a precision sport, you have to get everything as near correct as you can - confidence.
When do you start altering your new Rink grips? - the day you get them - grips are disposable.
Aversion to altering them to keep their looks or keep the resale value pleases me to see in my competitors - it makes me smile.
You need to go slow and learn how to alter them yourself as most of the stuff out three will not work for you.
For non adjustable pistols like the Pardini and Morini it has to be done to get them to point correctly unless you are very very lucky.
A dremmel and styrene free filler is you friend.
Don't be put off buying a pistol with a altered grip you can get it to fit you easily.
It has been said above - it matters not if you get it wrong just add or remove material until you are happy.
Also as above it sometimes works out better to start with very slightly small grips and file and filler them to fit you.

There is a truism - there are two types of competitor - one that is working on their grips and another that is about to be working on their grips.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Church Key wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:53 pm I've been shooting a FWB 65 with the "H" (large grips) for a while. Really liked their fit, however decided to get a Morini 162MI as am 83 and the cocking was getting fatiguing. Spent a bunch of time researching grips and settled on using the Steyr grip sizing method which came out to be a medium grip in two measurements and a borderline large in the third. Got the medium. Wish I could have tried out an actual gun, but had to get it online as no one near me sells them. Anyhow, got the Morini and had to extend the grip to its maximum opening and Dermel a bit on the rear of the lower portion, plus grind down a couple of high spots; one on the right side which was impacting my palm and another was uncomfortable for my middle finger. Took my time and removed material slowly. They now fit me fine. At my age the chances of my hand getting larger is nil, so I'm set.

Bottom line is probably should have gotten a large grip, but would most likely still have to file some high spots. I figure that I would have to do the same with custom grips, so why bother?
The comment about your hand not getting bigger at age 83 reminds me of pro-bicycle racers in the late 1990's using HGH in their regimens of performance enhancing drugs. Suddenly riders were having to have toes shortened because their cycling shoes didn't fit and dental surgery when jaw bones grew. Spectators and journalists also started looking at rider's hands for elongated thumbs. That was when riders decided it wasn't worth the risk playing with HGH.

On a serious note though, hands do swell depending on the time of day, weather and probably a host of of other factors. I could well be advantageous to have an adjustable palm shelf as opposed to one that is fixed.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have had to adjust my free pistol palm shelf quite often. Not by much, but it seems to be off a bit every year. I only shoot it in the summer, so my hand has most of a year to swell/shrink or otherwise change size/shape. Shooting outdoors with large temperature variations makes things worse.

The fit of the grips on my air & .22 standard pistols doesn't seem to be as critical. On my Benelli, I have to take the palm shelf off the factory (Nill Griffe) grip to clean it, so it gets readjusted fairly often. I can't remember the last time I had to adjust any of my Rink grips. Air pistol is strictly indoors, so I don't see the weather effects, and I don't shoot the standard pistols outdoors that much.
Rover

Post by Rover »

william wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:48 pm Question for Rover:
Obviously the first, since they will buy the expensive unfitted Rink grips in the often vain hope of a better fit.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

For me is (an extreme form of) 2, and not necessarily because of resale.
I buy Rink grips to keep the stock brand new and then refuse to modify the Rink except for adding crayola modeling compound (easily removed without traces).
The fit isn't good, but I would feel worse violating the grips.
william

Post by william »

gimgim wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:51 pm For me is (an extreme form of) 2, and not necessarily because of resale.
I buy Rink grips to keep the stock brand new and then refuse to modify the Rink except for adding crayola modeling compound (easily removed without traces).
The fit isn't good, but I would feel worse violating the grips.
At least you know what your priorities are.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

gimgim wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:51 pm The fit isn't good, but I would feel worse violating the grips.
So where does THIS ATROCITY fit into the Pantheon of "Pretty Grips" - I think I went for function over form on this. It's formerly known as a Steyr medium grip, then add Morini putty, a heap of Devcon #10110 Steel-Epoxy, grind it, file it, sand it, then slather some more putty on it, coat my hand in wax & grip fit it, then sand clear-thru the top of the grip (pictured), then add more putty & attack it with the brass brush on a Dremel.

william

Post by william »

I don't consider this "violating" the grip. It's more like making it into a grip.
P1070233.jpg
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

In some states violating a grip is a felony. It others it's a misdemeanor......
Rover

Post by Rover »

B Lafferty wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:44 am In some states violating a grip is a felony. It others it's a misdemeanor......
Grip: an assistant in a theater; a stagehand.

As it should be....
NBW

Post by NBW »

Personally,I like my grip to be pleasant to hold and pleasant to look at 😉.