Super Lube Mystery Failure

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Super Lube Mystery Failure

Post by brent375hh »

I have been using Super Lube Synthetic grease, as shown on left, on my AP tank threads for 20 years. Recently I saw a thread stating to use the Silicone version, as on right, since it would be better with o-rings. I thought it couldn't hurt, and bought a tube about 3 weeks ago.

For the last week my cylinder kept getting harder to turn, last night it finally locked up to the point I had to use a rubber mat around it to turn it off. I put a little more of the new grease on the threads, same result. Hmmm. I then cleaned off the threads, and put a small dab of the old Synthetic grease back on. Now the cylinder spins on and off, under full pressure, with two fingers easily again.
I don't know if they forgot to put in the teflon on my batch, or if silicone is a poor lubricant, but I decided that o-rings are cheaper than regulators and cylinders. I am not sure what is in the Synthetic formula, but assume it isn't petroleum based, and going back to it's use for the next 20 years.
Attachments
IMG_20210324_064137751.jpg
David Levene

Re: Super Lube Mystery Failure

Post by David Levene »

I would recommend NOT using silicon grease on the adaptor threads, for the very reason you say.

It's fine on o-rings though.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

You have just demonstrated most succinctly for everyone to understand that silicone lubricant should not to be used on a metal to metal surface as it promotes galling. Lube threads with graphite loaded petroleum based grease as it is on the low pressure side of the cylinder BUT only a very small amount (try using an artist brush to get it down into the tread form) or it will blow all over the place as you slowly remove the cylinder and once the graphite has coated the metal surfaces it will last for years and is not something you need to do just because you think it is a good idea wait until you think it is stiffening up. Don't get that grease anywhere neat the quill that goes through the seal as under pressure it will explode. The quill can stay dry and just change the seals in the cylinder as they wear and loose air, any lube on the quill will find it's way into the pistol and that is a whole new can of worms you will have created for yourself. When the seals are replaced in the cylinder just put the slightest dab of silicone oil on your finger and rub enough on the seal to change it's colour then wipe it with a clean tissue that des not shed fibers to make sure you have not over done the silicone. That is all the lube it will need until you need to change the seal which on cylinders is a simple job when you have the correct tools. Thanks for letting everyone know what not to use.
clarky

Post by clarky »

I have been saying it for about 10 years.
The deal is, that while Silicone oil is perfect for lubricating an O ring in a plastic, scientific casing, or mechanism...and on the face of that, seemingly ideal for the airgun, the fact remains that where metal comes into contact with metal, silicone can be utterly disastrous. The break down component of silica will eventually just eat into the metal.

However, the one thing I have never been able to understand (as an engineer and gunsmith) is the individual who advises everyone that its fine if you just coat the ring, or Leather piston washer and do not get it on the piston.
Its a statement that is so mindless that I struggle to understand it.
Silicone oil etc gravitates for fun...even in a none moving mechanism and breaks down to its component parts over time.
If you put a blob of Silicone Oil, or regular oil on a steel marking out table on a fri evening, it will have flowed right across that table by Monday morning....substances such as this do not contain....they spread.

PM me for the required product...im tired of the arguments from people who know better when suggesting correct lubrication...
william

Post by william »

"If you put a blob of Silicone Oil, or regular on a steel marking out table on a fri evening, it will have flowed right across that table by Monday morning." That'll teach you to take the weekend off.

I think I remember silicone grease being known to be worse than useless over 30 years ago. I guess it's one of those wheels which some idle hands have to reinvent from time to time. Sorta like this one: Everybody knows cylinders slowly corrode from the inside out due to the Oxygen and residual water vapor in compressed air. Surely it's time for some brave soul to inquire about making their cylinders last forever by filling with something perfectly nonreactive, like Helium, eh?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I recently saw a reprint of an old Scott Pilkington article showing the Super Lube tube. It was not the silicone based tube. I should have known better than try something since my old standby has worked perfect for so long. I am surprised that Silicone lubes are even available, even with Teflon, it may as well have been scouring powder the way it eventually felt.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

thirdwheel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:59 am You have just demonstrated most succinctly for everyone to understand that silicone lubricant should not to be used on a metal to metal surface as it promotes galling. Lube threads with graphite loaded petroleum based grease as it is on the low pressure side of the cylinder BUT only a very small amount (try using an artist brush to get it down into the tread form) or it will blow all over the place as you slowly remove the cylinder and once the graphite has coated the metal surfaces it will last for years and is not something you need to do just because you think it is a good idea wait until you think it is stiffening up. Don't get that grease anywhere neat the quill that goes through the seal as under pressure it will explode. The quill can stay dry and just change the seals in the cylinder as they wear and loose air, any lube on the quill will find it's way into the pistol and that is a whole new can of worms you will have created for yourself. When the seals are replaced in the cylinder just put the slightest dab of silicone oil on your finger and rub enough on the seal to change it's colour then wipe it with a clean tissue that des not shed fibers to make sure you have not over done the silicone. That is all the lube it will need until you need to change the seal which on cylinders is a simple job when you have the correct tools. Thanks for letting everyone know what not to use.
What about Pro-Link? It started as a motorcycle chain lube that lasted an incredibly long time on chains without attracting dirt. Those of us racing bicycles in the 1990's tried it and it literally captured perhaps 50% of the bicycle lube market. Raleigh bicycles did a wear test with it on their chains. Where the typical bicycle chain was worn in less than 5K miles of use, chains lubed with Pro-Link were going 16K miles before needing replacement.

https://progoldmfr.com/product/prolink-chain-lube/

https://progoldmfr.com/wp-content/uploa ... 9816PP.pdf
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

This is the Super Lube recommended to me for cylinder lube. I haven't used it yet, has anyone else? It has SYNCOLON it. Whatever that is.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0055.jpg
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Nevergiveup wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:52 pm This is the Super Lube recommended to me for cylinder lube. I haven't used it yet, has anyone else? It has SYNCOLON it. Whatever that is.

Thanks
I think that what I am using that is working well. I didn't realize Super Lube had so many varieties.

If you can't spin a cylinder on and off with your thumb and forefinger, something is wrong.
NBW

Post by NBW »

Nevergiveup wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:52 pm This is the Super Lube recommended to me for cylinder lube. I haven't used it yet, has anyone else? It has SYNCOLON it. Whatever that is.

Thanks
SYNCOLON is synthetic grease with PTFE.
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

NBW wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:31 am

Thanks
SYNCOLON is synthetic grease with PTFE.
Thanks

PTFE is another name for TELFON.

Is that a good thing for lubing cylinder treads?
NBW

Post by NBW »

I think it’s the other way round. PTFE is the chemical name and Teflon is DuPont’s trade name.

I have only ever used the grease that Feinwerkbau market and recommend for the purpose.
It is expensive, but you only need a tiny amount and I have never had a problem with the cylinder threads or seals.
I’ve been using it for over ten years.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Just to be clear, I am not trashing Super Lube, just the silicone version. It was such a bad lubricant for me that literally did throw it in the trash. The synthetic version is some of the best stuff I have ever used.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

NBW wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:19 am I think it’s the other way round. PTFE is the chemical name and Teflon is DuPont’s trade name.

I have only ever used the grease that Feinwerkbau market and recommend for the purpose.
It is expensive, but you only need a tiny amount and I have never had a problem with the cylinder threads or seals.
I’ve been using it for over ten years.
Do you have any idea what the composition is of this grease?
Nevergiveup

Post by Nevergiveup »

I also use the Feinwerkbrau grease. It works fine but is expensive.

A tube costs $12.45 for 4 gr at Pyramid Air with another $9.00 for shipping if that’s all you bought. That’s a total of $21.45 if you bought the grease alone.

The grease that was recommended to me for cylinder lube (Super Lube 21010 Synthetic Multi-Purpose Grease.5 Oz. Translucent white color) sells at Amazon is $4.56 for 12 gr. Shipping if free with Amazon Prime.

Sales tax is not included in the totals.

Amazon also sells the Feinwerkbrau grease for $14.32 with $6.50 for shipping. A total of $20.82. The grease sold through Amazon is shipped from Pyramid Air.

Feinwerkbrau grease is significantly more expensive than the Super Lube grease.

The question is does the Feinwerkbrau grease (or any other proprietary grease) have a secret ingredient that makes it worth over 13 times the cost of nonproprietary grease. especially if you confine its use to cylinder treads?

I know any tube of grease will last a long time and is not a major factor in the cost of shooting but …..
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

The 21030 (non silicone) that I have been using can be bought in any Ace Hardware.

I did some looking into what silicone is. It appears sourced from silicon, and that is sourced from silica. Near as I can tell silica is sand.

Why silicone could ever be used as a lubricant is beyond me.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:04 pm The 21030 (non silicone) that I have been using can be bought in any Ace Hardware.

I did some looking into what silicone is. It appears sourced from silicon, and that is sourced from silica. Near as I can tell silica is sand.

Pure silicone is very slippery. I use a silicone spray on my snow shovel and the wheel wells of my car in Winter. I live in VT near the Canadian border. Now there are other uses for silicone.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH0eSyI ... illambelli
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Silicone comes from silica, and sand is silica. OMG, how can anyone think of using this as a lubricant.
Oil comes from the ground, from plants rotting over millions of years ago. Disgusting.
Salt is made of sodium. A soft metal that ignites on contact with water. And chlorine. A deadly yellow-green chemical warfare agent.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

B Lafferty wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm
brent375hh wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:04 pm The 21030 (non silicone) that I have been using can be bought in any Ace Hardware.

Pure silicone is very slippery. I use a silicone spray on my snow shovel and the wheel wells of my car in Winter. I live in VT near the Canadian border. Now there are other uses for silicone.......
I wax my Jetta plastic wheel wells. Otherwise I get about 2" of suspension travel with the packed ice. I hope to move out of MN someday. Maybe I try the silicone version on them next winter? I might just pull it out of the trash...
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:03 pm
B Lafferty wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 pm

I wax my Jetta plastic wheel wells. Otherwise I get about 2" of suspension travel with the packed ice. I hope to move out of MN someday. Maybe I try the silicone version on them next winter? I might just pull it out of the trash...
If you do, use 100% silicone spray. Works best that way. Krel is the brand that I find in most hardware stores here.