New set of newbie questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
UnGe

New set of newbie questions

Post by UnGe »

1. Targets. I've got (I believe) pretty decent NRA targets. Standalone holes are nice and round, but as soon as they start to touch - no way to find the "circle", as paper starts to tear. Any tips/tricks, like adding (or not adding) cardboard behind, to be able to see partially overlapping shots?

2. Is there any source for a good quality targets scaled down to 25 feet (the distance I can do at my garage)? I can scale down and print myself, but printer paper will make problem (1) worse.

3. Are here anybody who does both AP and standard (22)? How do you deal with so different trigger pull?
3.1. As I am used to 1kg pull, is it better to set the same on AP and gradually reduce it until I am comfortable with reduced one, or is it better to set 500(+) upfront and try to do metal/physical switch each time?
Green_Canoe

Re: New set of newbie questions

Post by Green_Canoe »

I'm not a pro by any means but I'll give you what I've learned.

1. I use a breakfast cereal box cut into strips to back up the black on the target and then I reposition the cardboard for each series of ten shots. (I find Ritz cracker boxes have a better quality of cardboard than most cereal boxes but I don't eat enough Ritz crackers.) Overlapping shots will always be an issue. Someone here posted how many shots you should shoot per target based on your scores. I max out around 545 so I still shoot 10 rounds per target but it does get a little difficult to score some of those shots.

2. I can't help you here.

3. I came into AP though Bullseye. I find if I just dry fire a few times I get used to the trigger pull. I vote set the trigger according to the rules of the discipline and forget it.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Targets. I've got (I believe) pretty decent NRA targets."

No you didn't. They are pretty much crap. What you need are some of the Euro imports.

Google "Kruger". There is a guy in Oregon who sells them fairly cheaply. There are two kinds: NRA style and ISU type. Buy the cheapest.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Rover wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:46 pm "Targets. I've got (I believe) pretty decent NRA targets."

No you didn't. They are pretty much crap. What you need are some of the Euro imports.

Google "Kruger". There is a guy in Oregon who sells them fairly cheaply. There are two kinds: NRA style and ISU type. Buy the cheapest.
No I don't. If it was so easy, I'd probably did not ask a question about targets :)
JFYI, www.kruger-us-targets.com ("Oregon guy") is down since January
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Currency is printed on high-quality target paper, better than cheap-O targets or cracker boxes.
Yet, perhaps not fitting the economic model desired.
spektr

Post by spektr »

You can always help the targets with a quick shot of cheap hair spray.....
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

Champions Choice has ISSF pistol targets on sale-
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... =3000NUSAS

Kruger US is owned (was owned?) by the same guy who owns MK Tactical. You could try emailing them-
https://mktactical.com/

Shoot on the 10-meter targets at 25 feet, and do not worry about it. It will build your confidence.

Best regards,
m1963
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Just a suggestion, If you have a source of scrap cardboard, get your self a spray can of 3m spray adhesive from your local auto parts store. Then just shoot a very light coat of the glue to a piece of scrap cardboard and stick the targets you have to it. The pellets will then cut very nice round holes that are easy to score in the targets. Hope this helps!! J.L.
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

I'm a noob too and went down the target road. NRA targets with cardboard backer made ragged holes and were often hard to score. Now using Krueger targets and they are way better. The card stock is stiff and kind of brittle, so the holes are very clean without a backer. So clean you can usually tell when two shots went through the same hole (which, in my case, is never in the 10 ring)
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

whitefox545 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm Just a suggestion, If you have a source of scrap cardboard, get your self a spray can of 3m spray adhesive from your local auto parts store. Then just shoot a very light coat of the glue to a piece of scrap cardboard and stick the targets you have to it. The pellets will then cut very nice round holes that are easy to score in the targets. Hope this helps!! J.L.
Nice idea, thank you!
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

KDZ wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:17 pm I'm a noob too and went down the target road. NRA targets with cardboard backer made ragged holes and were often hard to score. Now using Krueger targets and they are way better. The card stock is stiff and kind of brittle, so the holes are very clean without a backer. So clean you can usually tell when two shots went through the same hole (which, in my case, is never in the 10 ring)
Any pointers at where one can get them (in US)? For the price that does not make me think that current ammo prices are not too ridiculous?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I don't know who the mystery person in Oregon is. Kruger USA told me to get them from Champions Choice. CC told me they couldn't get more of them, and cancelled my backorder. I bought 2 thousand from Kale for $103 delivered.

I suspect those of you that print your own must not be taking into account your toner cartridge, or are printing them at work. Printing them and then gluing them to food boxes would get to be an expensive pain to me. Spending less than a dollar a week to shoot good targets is not exactly a princely sum.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Neal Stepp at ISS was selling decent import targets the last time I bought 500 ct. RWS Basic pellets. Phone him.

I'm still sitting on a case of the Kruger's from the Oregon guy, but if he's gone.......
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

There was some sort of trick discussed earlier about spraying something on the ragged-hole material and baking in an oven to make the paper crispy, causing nice holes. Anyone remember the details?
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

m1963 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:28 pm Hello-

Champions Choice has ISSF pistol targets on sale-
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... =3000NUSAS

Kruger US is owned (was owned?) by the same guy who owns MK Tactical. You could try emailing them-
https://mktactical.com/

Shoot on the 10-meter targets at 25 feet, and do not worry about it. It will build your confidence.

Best regards,
m1963
In the past I've just called the fellow at MK and placed my order. Have not done that in around three years, but will be trying it again soon. Stay tuned....
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I used to buy a LOT of targets from Kruger USA (MK Tactical). I'm still not quite sure of the details, but Kruger is no longer exporting targets to them. It sounded like either Kruger was going to get out of the paper target business altogether, was going to find another importer, or wasn't going to bother printing the non-metric versions required for most US ranges.

Bottom line is that Kruger USA is only selling what stock they had on hand, and they were already out of most stuff last Fall. I just checked, and Kruger USA's web site is shut down. The main German Kruger site appears to be operating normally, so it appears they are still making targets, you just can't get buy them in the US.

I also don't see any non-metric distance targets for sale from the German site. If all you want is air pistol, ordering them direct might work, but if you want free, standard or sport pistol targets for 50 feet, 25 yards or 50 yards, I think you are out of luck.
Last edited by Gwhite on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:47 am I used to buy a LOT of targets from Kruger USA (MK Tactical). I'm still not quite sure of the details, but Kruger is no longer exporting targets to them. It sounded like either Kruger was going to get out of the paper target business altogether, was going to find another importer, or wasn't going to bother printing the non-metric versions required for most US ranges.

Bottom line is that Kruger USA is only selling what stock they had on hand, and they were already out of most stuff last Fall. I just checked, and Kruger USA's web site is shut down. The main German Kruger site appears to be operating normally, so it appears they are still making targets, you just can't get buy them in the US.
I've contacted Kruger, waiting for a shipping quote. I'll update here when I hear back
Rover

Post by Rover »

UnGe wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:14 am
Gwhite wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:47 am I used to buy a LOT of targets from Kruger USA (MK Tactical). I'm still not quite sure of the details, but Kruger is no longer exporting targets to them. It sounded like either Kruger was going to get out of the paper target business altogether, was going to find another importer, or wasn't going to bother printing the non-metric versions required for most US ranges.

I've contacted Kruger, waiting for a shipping quote. I'll update here when I hear back
OR you can just call Neal Stepp in Texas.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Taking aside Kruger question (as a noob I do not really need exact scoring for a loooong time), I found a perfect solution for my question #2. Scaled down to 25' black circle of 10m comes down to just below 2". Scoring does not work for reduced targets (pellet size does not reduce), so https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... B0000C51GH (or something like it) fits the bill perfectly.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

UnGe wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:46 pm Taking aside Kruger question (as a noob I do not really need exact scoring for a loooong time), I found a perfect solution for my question #2. Scaled down to 25' black circle of 10m comes down to just below 2". Scoring does not work for reduced targets (pellet size does not reduce), so https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey- ... B0000C51GH (or something like it) fits the bill perfectly.
I had a similar issue of only about 25' in my basement. That was about eight years ago. I solved it by divorcing my wife and buying a home with more than 10 meters distance to shoot in. It's all about priorities........
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh