Anschutz foresight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Buck

Anschutz foresight

Post by Buck »

Hi all,

I recently bought an Anschutz 6702 (version with the transparent markings for adjustment) together with an Anschutz front sight.
Attached are some pictures of it.

Does anyone has any info on the type of this front sight? It fits an 11mm dovetail rail.

Kind regards,
Buck
Attachments
FrontSight_3.jpg
FrontSight_2.jpg
FrontSight_1.jpg
Tim S

Re: Anschutz foresight

Post by Tim S »

Buck,

What sort of info did you want?

The foresight is an Anschutz. As it fits an 11mm dovetail, it would fit a 19xx, 20xx or the new 54.30 smallbore rifles, and recent air rifles. It can be made to go on older Smallbore (14xx, 16xx, 18xx) and air rifles, but these have a much taller mount, so this foresight sits higher than the proper tunnel, enough that many rearsights will run out of elevation adjustment before zeroing at 100 yards.

More generally the foresight takes 18mm/M18 elements (Perspex or metal) or irises. Yours appears to have both a metal post, and a Perspex ring element, which is unusual. I can't think that it's against any rule, just odd. One element is normally enough. Almost all shooters today choose a ring element, either metal (usually with horizontal bars, not a vertical "lollipop" bar) or Perspex. If you unscrew the thumbscrew at the back, you can remove the elements. The Perspex one should have numbers scribed on the edge, this is the diameter of the aperture in millimetres.

The front of the tunnel is threaded, again M18, for accessories: spirit level, Eagle eye lens, polariser, anti-glare tube. The two small grub screws at the very front allow the tunnel to rotate on the base to level it for cant. The wire that clips over the top acts as an artificial horizon. When the tunnel was designed, International/Olympic rules for women's Smallbore (and all air rifle) prohibited spirit levels.

As an aside, a 6702 rearsight with a Perspex gauge dates to the 1960s or very early 1970s, 20+ years before the foresight was made.
Buck

Re: Anschutz foresight

Post by Buck »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your extensive answer.

Until acquiring this front sight I only had 'simple' front sights, without any options other than changing the metal insert.

With your info I now know what the different options of this kind of sight are.