Benelli sight adjuster detent

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
-TT-

Benelli sight adjuster detent

Post by -TT- »

I'm reinstalling the rear sight onto my MP95E Benelli. It's an older model pistol and the sight has been off for some time. I've collected all the parts and cannot figure out what is missing from the click detents.

Here are two photos showing the ~1.5mm holes (see arrows) under the adjusters for both elevation and windage. But, they are just holes - my newer MP90S has little bumps in these spots. As a result, there are no detent clicks, only friction. There is nothing else indicated on the MP95 exploded parts diagram.

I thought maybe a tiny ball bearing rides there, but the adjusters ride poorly on it (perhaps my smallest bb is too large at 2.5mm). And, there is practically nothing to keep any bearing from flying out.

Anyone have a similar era MP95 to tell me what mine is missing?

elevation.jpg
windage.jpg
Leon

Re: Benelli sight adjuster detent

Post by Leon »

It would be something similar to the Smith & Wesson rear sight plunger & spring.

Like this -

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004523251
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Are the holes "blind"; or, are they drilled straight thru?

My memory is poor; but, I think my FAS sight used small bearing balls.

You should be able to get the little balls at an industrial bearing supply.

I have some 1.5mm and 2mm balls in my parts kit.

I hope you live in the USA. I am not sure the little balls for a pistol are covered under the ITAR agreements.

You could telephone Benelli in Italy. An opportunity to brush up on your language skills.

Cheers,

Dave
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Both are through holes, 1.5mm. I will try a 2mm bb.

Very strange these are not shown on the diagram, if so. I am looking at the one in the manual that came with the gun, in addition to other sources.
nik365

Post by nik365 »

The holes are for the spring and tiny ball. For vertical adjustment spring p/n is P069, for horizontal it is P074. I don't see the balls on the schematics diagram, but they are there.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It depends on the vintage. I think the newer ones had a bump built into the mechanism & no balls. According to my notes, you need 1.5 mm balls.

McMaster Carr #9292K42 Hardened Ball, 1.5 mm Diameter Pack of 100 $6.13

https://www.mcmaster.com/9292K42/
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Mine must be from the tiny-ball era. Also predating the printing press, apparently :)

The holes are definitely 1.5mm. A #52 drill bit is a no-go, a #53 is a go. #53 is exactly 1.5mm, so I would be quite surprised if a 1.5mm bb will ride and not fall through! I will experiment.

Regarding springs 069P and 074P, these are not detent springs. They're much larger, and in a different location. 074P wraps around the windage stud well inside the radius of the detent hole. And 069P rests in a pocket in the frame several mm in front of the elevation screw. They provide tension of course, but they do not contact the detents.

MP95diagram.jpg
nik365

Post by nik365 »

Sorry, you are right, 069P and 074P are not the springs pushing the balls. I was looking at the bad scan of a later model diagram, apparently. This is how horizontal adjustment ball looks like on MP 95e, date code BF i.e. 1995 vintage. Vertical adjustment ball looks the same but it is completely under the screw and not visible without disassembly. It is interesting that vertical adjustment ball is actually shown on the diagram, but no p/n is given.
Attachments
sight_vert_adj_ball_sch.jpg
sight_hor_adj_ball.jpg
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Aha! Evidence of The Balls. Thanks. I will try some 1.5mm, and 2mm if they fall through.

I think your diagram and mine are the same, but yours is a lot clearer. Mine is apparently a reprint, although original. It's commercially printed, rebranded to the USA importer at the time (EAA in Cocoa Beach Florida).

[edit] obtw my pistol is also date coded BF, like yours. No website in my printed manual, so I'm guessing the document is at least circa 1995 too :)
nik365

Post by nik365 »

I don't have the original manual. I bought 95e used a while ago and it came with printed EAA pdf manual which itself is terrible. My diagram picture is from MP90s pdf manual. I don't remember where I found it. From my understanding the frame part of MP90 and MP95 is the same. I can't post it because It is 1.5MB and TT says that it is too large. If you want it, PM me email to send it to.

Current manual for MP90s and MP95e can be downloaded directly from Benelli Italy
https://www.benelli.it/en/arma/mp-95-e-cal-22-l-r-
or better version from Benelli Belgium (and they don't ask for your name and email)
http://www.benelli-guns.be/images/pdf/pistols.pdf
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Ok, the issue is settled, at least for my pistol: 2mm.
  • 1.5mm - falls through hole
  • 2.5mm - sits too high, falls out
  • 2.0mm - nestles in like a coddled egg
Photo looks exactly like nik365's, below. I plan to use a dot of threadlocker to keep the parts from departing the seating hole.

And I did not require an ITAR license to acquire the part :) I have a couple dozen extras, if anyone desperately needs it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I always put a blob of thick grease on any detent balls that I have to replace. That keeps them from falling out while I get stuff reassembled, and helps reduce wear over the long run. For really small balls, a blob of grease on the end of a toothpick allows you to pick up & maneuver them into place.
Rudi

Post by Rudi »