recommendations for a first air rifle

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

John

recommendations for a first air rifle

Post by John »

I have recently become interested in 3P air rifle. Before I purchase my first rifle, I would love to hear what some experienced shooters would recommend as the first air rifle for a beginning adult shooter. To norrow the choices, I would like to purchase an air rifle that uses cartridges filled with compressed air or CO2.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
John
wjknight-at-aol.com.42392.0
pdeal

Re: recommendations for a first air rifle

Post by pdeal »

If you want CO2 and you want to keep the price down it is hard to beat a Tau 200.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.42403.42392
Jim Morris

Post by Jim Morris »

: I have recently become interested in 3P air rifle.

John,
If you are a "Junior" and just getting started, you might consider a Sport class rifle and competing in that class at the local or state level. A Daisy model 888 will fill your needs nicely - and they have good resale value if you decide not to continue.
Jim

jmorris_3-at-yahoo.com.42404.42392
Jay V

Post by Jay V »

: I have recently become interested in 3P air rifle. Before I purchase my first rifle, I would love to hear what some experienced shooters would recommend as the first air rifle for a beginning adult shooter.

As pdeal said below, the TAU-200 is a good choice in the intermediate price level. It's CO2 powered with caplets or bulk. Our club has 6 of them, and they have proven to be reliable and accurate. The TAU should be around $500 I believe. A top of the line Feinwerkbau, Anschutz, or Steyr will run well over $1000 new.
3P air rifle is a junior-only event. Adults shoot 10M air rifle (standing only) or International 3P smallbore (.22).

Jay Vergenz
IL
www.aiac-airguns.org

jverg-at-att.net.42406.42392
John

Post by John »

: I have recently become interested in 3P air rifle. Before I purchase my first rifle, I would love to hear what some experienced shooters would recommend as the first air rifle for a beginning adult shooter. To norrow the choices, I would like to purchase an air rifle that uses cartridges filled with compressed air or CO2.
: Thanks in advance for your advice.
: John
The others are almost correct about 3-P air rifle for juniors only. The NRA is developing a 3-P 25 yd outdoor air rifle program using an A-7/5 target. It is in the experiemental stage and clubs that are shooting the program are sending reports back. There are clubs shooting adult 3-P tournaments and the NRA Air Gun Committee will be addressing this issue this fall. Any input would be helpful.

jvenskoske-at-nrahq.org.42484.42392
Jay V

Re: Thanks for the new info...

Post by Jay V »

: The others are almost correct about 3-P air rifle for juniors only. The NRA is developing a 3-P 25 yd outdoor air rifle program using an A-7/5 target. It is in the experiemental stage and clubs that are shooting the program are sending reports back. There are clubs shooting adult 3-P tournaments and the NRA Air Gun Committee will be addressing this issue this fall.

Hi John,
This is the first I have heard of 3P air for adults. Sorry for the incomplete information - glad you checked. Keep us posted if you hear anything more about it.

Thanks - Jay

jverg-at-att.net.42488.42484