TOZ-35M differenes in grading

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ArTee

TOZ-35M differenes in grading

Post by ArTee »

Doe any know what the grading criteria is for the grading of the TOZ-35 might be between X and V? would it welds, bluing, grip screw hole locations, what? Specifically?

Also does anyone know how to get an a copy of the certification (see page 10 of your cert. booklet) for each gun if it did not come with the gun due in part to the sellers loss of the documentation? I'd even write to the factory if they held the data.

Thanks for any leads or comments.

Thank you,

RT
slofyr

Re: TOZ-35M differenes in grading

Post by slofyr »

ArTee wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:29 pm Doe any know what the grading criteria is for the grading of the TOZ-35 might be....
Grade 1: Standard
Grade 2: Moderate
Grade 3: Crappy
Grade 4: Farm Implement
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

I have both a X and a V, bought from https://www.budsgunshop.com/. These are the Toz the come with the DIY grip.
The V has the rear sight mount welded slightly off center. It is still possible to zero the sight by installing the blade off center by one or two mm.
The bluing of the X seems to be a bit worse (less dense?), or maybe just different and less black than the V. Other than that, I couldn't see any differences. I don't remember a certification in the booklets, not sure though. Prices were $350 and $400, IMO (and in my case, at least) the X isn't worth the $50 difference.
spektr

Post by spektr »

When I bought my Toz, the grades were somewhat meaningless.... The fit and finish were typically Russian in that the triggers were jewelry wrapped in blacksmith shop frames with phenomenal barrels.... Mine graded higher because it had lots of spare parts and sight blades.....
rmca

Post by rmca »

This is the first time I hear of a grading system for the 35M.
Is this an american importer grade?
Can someone fill me in?

Thanks!
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

rmca wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm This is the first time I hear of a grading system for the 35M.
Is this an american importer grade?....
It's all marketing bullshit. The reason the TOZ has been sold with an unfinished grip for the last few years is that they ran out of finished ones. That happened because, as I understand it, they stopped manufacturing the TOZ over twenty years ago and are now dipping into the reject bins to be able to sell off the remaining inventory. Any grading is done by retailers in order to bump up the price.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

rmca wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm Is this an american importer grade?
budsgunshop.com, where I bought mine, sold the pistols as "used".
For used guns in the US it seems common to have a "grading", no idea of how formal that is, as I said, in my case it didn't make much of a difference.
Also, both pistols came with a case and all accessories, tools, and spares, wrapped in oiled paper. I doubt they were used in the first place.
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

The cert book does seem to have a section on page 10 that describes the spread for the shots and such. The Soviets were strong into Olympic shooting and these guns were for the farm teams as I understand. The Russian Federation is not as centered on the sport especially since it's not an Olympic sport. However it would still be nice to understand the grading system.

I'm enclosing some photos for a Russian grip I finished from a not a totally rough grip. I also have a RINK grip which with a tiny bit of mods is a great fit.
Attachments
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Arghhhh ... ******** gorgeous grip !

Never heard of any grading system for the TOZ 35 .
The only thing I know about mine is that in the operator's manual it is mentionned that it grouped in less than 10 mm with "temp" cartridges at the bench . It always amazed me ...

Moderator's note: Expletive removed
divingin

Post by divingin »

Nice job, Artee.