Coronavirus Update - Steyr & Morini

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

Coronavirus Update - Steyr & Morini

Post by Leon »

All,

I have heard from the Australian agent that both Steyr and Morini have closed their factories indefinitely.

I'm sure that this will also be the same situation for Pardini, Matchguns, and others.

So, if you are considering a new gun purchase, I suggest you fast-track your decision-making process and do it now.

Once all local in-country stock has been exhausted, there probably won't be any new stock arriving anywhere for 12 - 18 months...
sal6781

Re: Coronavirus Update - Steyr & Morini

Post by sal6781 »

A new gun purchase when you don't know if you will be alive ?
Ironvelocity

Post by Ironvelocity »

Steyr is back at work from 23.03, I know cuz I'm waiting for new tool ;-)
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Europe is less than 2 months behind China. I won't be surprised if they restart operations sooner than that.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

"Europe" isn't exactly uniform in terms of COVID 19. Italy is particularly hard hit. MatchGuns, for example, is in Parma, just south of the center of the worst hit region in Italy.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Purchasers beware; you don't know what plague-bearer has been fondling your new object of affection!
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

My wife said it's either me or your airguns. She lives in Washington State now. I know. It's an old joke.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Gwhite wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:27 pm "Europe" isn't exactly uniform in terms of COVID 19. Italy is particularly hard hit. MatchGuns, for example, is in Parma, just south of the center of the worst hit region in Italy.
Painfully aware of the problem, I am Italian and my family is all there. It's of course a ballpark estimate, based on the fact that I have been following every single day since Dec the progression (we have family in China as well :-) ).
The curve in Italy is flattening and these are small companies where it won't be hard to restart work. Wild guess, of course.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Ironvelocity wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 am Steyr is back at work from 23.03, I know cuz I'm waiting for new tool ;-)
If you think this means that the gun shop shelves will have stocks of new pistols in next week or so, then you are pretty delusional and will be disappointed.

Export government / import government processing of the requisite paperwork of consumer items such as these, will be right at the bottom of their To Do piles of work - and quite possibly stopped for 3 - 6 - 9 months duration whilst they concentrate on shipments of medical supplies, food etc

And then there is the problems of transport - i.e air freight. Most international flights have ceased and, no doubt the few remaining will be focusing on priority cargoes - i.e medical supplies, not expensive air pistols.

I did hear that, in Australia, most (if not all) carriers have temporarily stopped the carriage of Dangerous Goods ( ammunition, powder etc ) so they can focus on food etc as well...
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Rover wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:18 pm Purchasers beware; you don't know what plague-bearer has been fondling your new object of affection!
Exactly! That's why you should buy from Europe, so that the virus dies during shipping.
Last edited by gimgim on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Leon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm And then there is the problems of transport - i.e air freight. Most international flights have ceased and, no doubt the few remaining will be focusing on priority cargoes - i.e medical supplies, not expensive air pistols.
Is this the case? I have ordered on Mar 10 several electronic components from China and they were delivered faster than usual (11 days). My guess is that shipping may be actually faster now, because of low volume, not slower.

In many cases, flights cannot just stop, otherwise the airline will lose the allocated slot (https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coronavi ... hts-europe)
Leon

Post by Leon »

Even you, simple-minded one, would acknowledge that there is a difference in the shipping of a minor, virus-infected, electronic part - as opposed to something that is generally viewed as a firearm by most authorities.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> Even you, simple-minded one, would acknowledge that there is a difference in the shipping of a minor, virus-infected, electronic part

Virus infected electronic part?
Dude whatever you smoked must be noice, please share

> as opposed to something that is generally viewed as a firearm by most authorities.

Authorities from which country?
From the US you can order air arms from Europe without any restriction (besides being 18y/o), control or paperwork.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

gimgim wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 am From the US you can order air arms from Europe without any restriction (besides being 18y/o), control or paperwork.
Wow, aren’t you the lucky ones!
Leon

Post by Leon »

Let's see the boasting, simple-minded one order a new air pistol from Europe and show us all next week then !
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Are you willing to pay for it if I can get one? I will donate to a club after I receive it (I don't need another one), so it will be either on me or on you.
No matter what, we make some club happy. We can trust one of the moderators here to escrow the money.
Last edited by gimgim on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Here is my proposal:
We escrow $452 USD + shipping each (I think it will be around $35, I need to check the receipts of the Steyrs) to a moderator of your choice.
The moderator orders a brand new Baikal from Krale in the NL (https://www.krale.shop/en/baikal-mp-46m/). If the pistol gets there in more than 7 days, the moderator will return your money, if in less, he will return mine. I believe Hammerli and Walthers can be shipped as well, it will be a bit more, but I am fine with that. The pistol will be donated to a club after that (Gwhite, does the MIT/LL range accept donations of this kind?).
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Just lost interest in this thread.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Post by Leon » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:13 am

Let's see the boasting, simple-minded one order a new air pistol from Europe and show us all next week then !
I think it’s time to get this issue into perspective and respect each other’s views.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

Apologies if I have been offensive, not my intention. I was stating a few facts, based on what I know and have experienced first hand.
And to be honest I don't feel offended as well (perhaps a consequence of being simple minded :-) ), people talk in different manners, not a problem.

Still, with all this, I am getting genuinely curious now, and if Krale is open for business I would love to see whether shipping from Europe is any slower or not, and may be do something good and donate to a club in the process, so my offer stands.