Shipping guns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gunsmoke77802

Shipping guns

Post by gunsmoke77802 »

So I tried to ship a rifle stock only on UPS and they would not accept it. I then typed in 'wood stock' and it went thru. So I'm thinking how do you ship firearms/airarms now? They are legal to ship to another FFL but air guns have no restraints. Have you guys run into problems and how did you solve them? Also cost now is $40.00 to ship 5#'s or more. USPS not much cheaper ($1-$2).

thanks
rgibson

Re: Shipping guns

Post by rgibson »

Try FedEx. I always use them for firearms to get repaired/rebarreled. I shipped a rifle via FedEx to a gunsmith two months ago and it was simple. No hassle. I told her the truth, “it’s a broken rifle going to a gunsmith.” It came back to me via UPS. But, I can’t speak to how it was on that end. The ‘smith told me that FedEx was cheaper.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Forgot to say that my shipping experience was only with long guns to and fro! Handguns have to go through FFL is what I have been told, so that is what I do.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

It's been a about 3 years since I had to ship a rifle, but I used both FedEx and UPS when I had to ship my rifle to test ranges and a gunsmith (I might have only received through FedEx, though).
For UPS, I had to go to a specific location (the major distribution center for the are). Places like the UPS Store wouldn't accept it.
divingin

Post by divingin »

rgibson wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:00 pm Forgot to say that my shipping experience was only with long guns to and fro! Handguns have to go through FFL is what I have been told, so that is what I do.
Depends on where it's going to. Federally, an end user may ship a handgun to the manufacturer, and the manufacturer can send it back the end users home address. I am unsure if the same applies to, say, sending a handgun to a gunsmith (unless the smith is an FFL, in which case this part is all moot anyway.)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

UPS - Also depends who the clerk at the counter is ... or who owns the store.
Our local UPS store will not accept anything with a referral to a gun. (Including sights)
Our UPS Center up in Albuquerque has only one counter clerk that will accept guns/gun parts/aoom ... have to check when her shift is before I go up there.

Kinda like TSA .... how much hassle .... how they comply with the LAW, is different from airport to airport
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Man, I don’t know where some of you live but if you don’t have a gun when you get to S.C. we let you borrow one. If I had my way everyone would get target rifles but, as you well know, we have turned into a nation of plinkers. Sorry you have to deal with that garbage on the shipping.