CCI 975CC Ammo?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jblphoto

CCI 975CC Ammo?

Post by jblphoto »

Has anyone tried the CCI 975CC ammo for the 50 foot indoor course for Free or Standard pistol? It's a 45gr 835fps round. It's sold a a "Quite Semi-Auto" load. I don't care about the noise as much as muzzle flip. The reviews that I see are saying that it works in the Ruger series of pistols. I haven't found anything on Walther's, Pardini's or FWB-93"s yet. Less recoils might be an advantage in timed and rapid fire. It might make the Free pistol feel more like an air pistol. The box is marked "Target" but that might be meaningless for what we do, but if it's on par with CCI Standard it might be worth a look.
spektr

Re: CCI 975CC Ammo?

Post by spektr »

Unless the earth has moved and I missed it, there is a 40 grain limit for ammo in the rule book
jblphoto

Post by jblphoto »

I double checked the NRA rule book before posting and yes it has been removed.
JKR

Post by JKR »

I’ve been using Ely Rapid Fire shorts for free pistol training. Very low report and recoil. Accuracy is surprisingly good, even at fifty meters.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

JKR wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 am I’ve been using Ely Rapid Fire shorts for free pistol training. Very low report and recoil. Accuracy is surprisingly good, even at fifty meters.
If you do that a lot, you will ruin your chamber. The hot gases will erode the metal at the front of the case, and you will have difficulty extracting long rifle cases.

The are a larger number of old pump action rifles that would cycle .22 Short, Long, & Long Rifle ammo. It was fairly common to shoot shorts for reduced cost & noise, but people discovered that it causes problems down the road. I have no idea how many rounds are required to experience significant damage, but I wouldn't do it.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

975CC looks kinda like their regular "quiet" with an extra 5 grains of powder. I'd be skeptical it's any good for bullseye, especially on the long line. The regular stuff doesn't even cycle my Buckmark, and only manages to piss off the squirrels it hits.

Order a box and let us know! Midway has most ammo on sale.
JKR

Post by JKR »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:46 amcases.
G White,
I’ll let you know.
JKR
jblphoto

Post by jblphoto »

I plan on getting some. I have tried the “Quite” ammo which is list as 710fps with a 40 gr bullet. Out of a 1907 Anschutz rifle I’m lucky to shoot one-inch groups at 50 feet and more like a 1 ½” group. This is a new listing at CCI. It looks like it fills a gap between the ultra-low 710fps and the Standard velocity ammo. Who knows, this might have legs.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Who knows, this might have legs.
I have the same feeling.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

There's no magic ammunition which is going to boost your scores by more than 1-2 points.

Most barrels are calibrated for SV 40gr ammo, try that.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Most barrels are calibrated for SV 40gr ammo, try that.
Reeeeaaaally ? And what ballistics reference does this come from ?
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

I dunno, do many barrel manufacturers calibrate their barrels for oddball ammunition before it exists?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

.22 short ammunition for example has a 29 grain projectile and .32 s&wl and .38 spl. ( as with other calibres ) use a wide range of bullet weights .

The correct link is between the diameter of the barrel and diameter of the projectile rather than the diameter of the barrel being related to the projectile weight.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

JamesHH wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:27 am Most barrels are calibrated for SV 40gr ammo, try that.
deadeyedick wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 am Reeeeaaaally ? And what ballistics reference does this come from ?
deadeyedick wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 am .22 short ammunition for example has a 29 grain projectile and .32 s&wl and .38 spl. ( as with other calibres ) use a wide range of bullet weights .

The correct link is between the diameter of the barrel and diameter of the projectile rather than the diameter of the barrel being related to the projectile weight.
I think "JamesHH" is thinking about rifling twist, rather than inside barrel (bore/land) diameter.
A rifling twist optimal for a 40 gns bullet is probably less than optimal for a 29 gns bullet.

The barrels chamber-mouth, forcing cone, made perfect for one lenght of bullet, may be less optimal for a shorter og longer bullet.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The new CCI 975cc ammunition with its “ marginally “ longer 45 grain projectile should show equal stability/accuracy in the 1:16” twist rate used in most .22 l.r. barrels.

I for one look forward to trying some for myself as the reduced recoil and ability to cycle a semi auto pistol has got my attention.

If this works I will applaud CCI for thinking outside the square.
jblphoto

Post by jblphoto »

I took the ballistics off of CCI’s web site. I can only “assume” that they use some standard for comparison purposes.

True the shooter is by far the biggest variable; but that being said; how many of us use a S&W M&P 22 and a Glock 45 for Bullseye. Or a revolver because those auto’s will never catch on. (By the way I do like shooting revolvers) Part of the game is keeping track of what’s new. Who knows this might be the next big thing?

And a point or two? In league I’m averaging about 97 Timed and 95 Rapid when I do my part, I’ll take a point or two!
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

A muzzle velocity of 835 vs 1070, thats a big difference with the same twist.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unless it is specifically marketed as pistol ammo, the published velocities are almost certain to have been tested in a rifle barrel. They could be way off in a pistol. They say it will work in a semi-auto pistol, but that doesn't mean the velocities were measured in one.
hurt

Post by hurt »

By way of comparison..my Remington 540X shoots the 710 fps ones under an inch at 50 yards while my old Anschutz 54 will do a little under 1.5 inches at 50 yards. Not exactly match grade as both guns will shoot much better with good ammo. These are the solid bullets not the segmented ones, but they sure are quiet! I have shot them at 50 feet with my free pistol and they seem right on call.
jblphoto

Post by jblphoto »

Goes to show you how different the results can be from one gun to the next.