Eley Tenex Pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rhyno

Eley Tenex Pellets

Post by Rhyno »

Just got two boxes to try out and not quote sure what to think... I just shot a really good round without any issues, but I'm curious about the quality.

First, the pellets dont feel lubricated at all. I'm used to shooting r10's, and these feel nothing like them.

Secondly, there is a horrendous seam line running along both sides of the pellets. It's really offputting for a pellet that costs more than almost anything else out there.

Are any of you guys experiencing this? Do you forsee any problems with this?

Also, while the box design is really nice, I dont recommend using it as a regular shooting box if you have big hands. I felt as if I had to mash my fingers in the smaller openings and may have slightly damaged some in the process. For transport, it is by far the best stock container I've seen, but make sure you shoot with some sort of pellet holder when using.
ChipEck

Re: Eley Tenex Pellets

Post by ChipEck »

Agree. I also bought a box. 450 pellets instead of 500. Not a huge deal, if you are willing to spend this much money. I have to dump pellets out. You are right, for transportation, the plastic Eley box, with pad, sure seems to protect the pellets. From a visual perspective the R10 pellets sure seem more "polished". I am not a good enough shooter to see a difference in score.

Chip
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

How is the box better than the Qiang Yuan's?

EDIT: NM, just realized that the Eley's are 1/2 of the price :-)
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
spektr

Post by spektr »

The real question is how much better than Rws basics are tbey
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Let's see... For about the cost of two boxes of Eley (900 pellets), I can get a pellet tin clip, a shaker box, 2 tins of 500 RWS Basics, and have change left over.

It might matter for air rifle, but for pistol, you have to be REALLY good to notice the difference.
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

I actually believe group size makes a pretty big difference here. For extreme spread, you are going to have more compound error in pistol than in rifle.

I havent tried the chinese pellets yet, but the box seemed similar to the special rws ones.

After shooting more with the eley, I seem to shoot better with them (unscientifically), but it might all just be in my head.

Price really doesnt matter to me. If I can afford an $1800 air pistol, an extra few dollars for ammo isnt an issue. This isnt a sport where scrimping really makes tons of sense imho...
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Price really doesnt matter to me. If I can afford an $1800 air pistol, an extra few dollars for ammo isnt an issue. This isnt a sport where scrimping really makes tons of sense imho..."

BUT...you are making the TOTALLY unwarranted assumption that you are actually buying improved performance.
Rhyno

Post by Rhyno »

p
Rover wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 am "Price really doesnt matter to me. If I can afford an $1800 air pistol, an extra few dollars for ammo isnt an issue. This isnt a sport where scrimping really makes tons of sense imho..."

BUT...you are making the TOTALLY unwarranted assumption that you are actually buying improved performance.
I'm making a deductive assumption based on my prior experiences. Without the current tools to pellet test or lot test, I am falling back on the idea that the more consistancy you generally get with more expensive pellets, the more repeatable your results will be. Also, having tested many pellets in many air guns, I know what trends towards the positive. I've never had a gun that shoots hobby or club better than match. Granted, I could be wrong with this gun, but without a current way to test, I have to go with my own experiences. Not to mention, I sure feel better mentally knowing I've got something purposely designed for this role.
spektr

Post by spektr »

[/quote]
I'm making a deductive assumption based on my prior experiences. Without the current tools to pellet test or lot test, I am falling back on the idea that the more consistancy you generally get with more expensive pellets, the more repeatable your results will be. Also, having tested many pellets in many air guns, I know what trends towards the positive. I've never had a gun that shoots hobby or club better than match. Granted, I could be wrong with this gun, but without a current way to test, I have to go with my own experiences. Not to mention, I sure feel better mentally knowing I've got something purposely designed for this role.
[/quote]

AAAHHHHHH My Friend, try this...

There IS the fact that your personal mental aspect needs to be considered. If I FEEL I can shoot better with them, that alone may be worth the price. The fact that your mind has a preference and "likes" these may in fact allow you to shoot better. If the mind gets what it feels like shooting, it could remove internal conflict from the process. Why is that line of thinking allowable when we speak of air pistol PREFERENCES when the facts are that they will all shoot perfect scores and are probably indistinguishable from each other on paper. WHY NOT PELLETS? As an Engineer, I understand there is noise in any data collection effort, but inside the noise is a wonderful magical place. My mind and how I feel about something matters. I wouldn't discount how you feel about shooting a particular pellet any more than I would a particular pistol. I shoot Vogels because I LIKE them (Thank GOD they are available again!). I dont shoot Eleys because I didn't like them and I cant exactly tell you why I think that way. I do know that I'm right, because I FEEL better shooting Vogels. And in my mind, for me, how I feel matters.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> If I FEEL I can shoot better with them, that alone may be worth the price

I've bought several boxes of Qiang Yuan because somebody here sold them at a very discounted price. I would NEVER buy them otherwise.
In fact, I have never shot a single one :-) and keep using the Gamo Match and the Krale instead because I think my level isn't good enough and it would be a waste. But pellets do not expire and I am slowly improving, so I can use them in the future.

That said, when I shoot Eley (Club and Target, mind you :-) ) in my FP instead of $2 CCI or Fiocchi, is not that I FEEL I can shoot better. I KNOW I shoot better.
The reason is simply that I am much more careful when I pull the trigger, so that I do not to waste the expensive ammo.
Kallysan

Post by Kallysan »

I just don't get people worrying about how much a pellet costs. The most expensive ones are less than 1/2 the cost of cheep .22 lr. R-10 cost less than $.03 per pellet. Unless your gun prefers a cheaper pellet, why not shoot match grade all the time 10k shots will cost around $270. Where as 10k shots of cheap 22 lr will cost you $600. Pellets are so inexpensive might as well shoot the best ones available. I am not saying basics don't shoot, just saying why shoot them. I have argued with my shooting partner for years about this. In the end what matters is what makes the shooter happy.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The money I save covers the cost of new cylinders every ten years... I save almost $10 a tin on pellets compared to the high end stuff. That adds up pretty quickly. I'd also rather work on technique than spend time testing pellets, tuning velocity, etc.

The reason I'm not on the Olympic team has nothing to do with the groups from Basics being a few tenths of a mm larger than with carefully selected & tested pellets. It is because I shoot the occasional 7 (or worse) due to errors in my technique and lapses in mental management. Until I fix those issues, why spend the extra money?
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> The most expensive ones are less than 1/2 the cost of cheep .22 lr.

Qiang Yuan Olympics pellets are $17 for 200, that is comparable if not higher than SV/lead CCI or Fiocchi ($4 for 50 or so)