How to use a sling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brazos

How to use a sling

Post by Brazos »

Are there any good videos (like YouTube) that shows how to properly use a sling? My daughter has just started her first year on her HS rifle team and is using a sling for 3 position. I just want to learn how the sling is supposed to work, how to adjust, etc. as I have no experience with the type of sling that connects to the shooting jacket & the rifle at a single point. I have done searches but all the sling videos are for tactile stuff. I really don't need to know how to use the sling on my M16 to take out ISIS or the Taliban. I just want to know enough to make sure my daughter is using her sling correctly on her air rifle. Thanks.
spektr

Re: How to use a sling

Post by spektr »

Having a copy of "WAY OF THE RIFLE" answers so many questions
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

See the articles under "smallbore and Air Rifle" on this site: http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I'd say some basic pointers should include:
1) The sling doesn't pinch the arm
2) It pulls the butt firmly into the shoulder for stability, but doesn't push the shoulder back.

For 1), you're looking at the position of the cuff/loop on the upper arm, trying to avoid the brachial artery and nerve plexus below the arm pit, but also the biceps. Use the keeper on the jacket to hold the sling up at the right height - don't be afraid to punch new holes in the keeper if needed. Tightening the cuff/loop around the arm has an effect here, and I like to leave several finger's room inside the cuff.

The position of the sling over the wrist and hand can matter to some shooters. In general, avoiding the wrist knuckle and the palm if you can.

2) the sling works by pulling the rifle and forearm up and back, pivoting on the elbow. Adjust the length, kind of like a ratchet, until the butt is snug in the shoulder. Too much pull can stress the right shoulder (muscular tension is not good for aim or recoil) and makes it harder to seat the butt. The supporting hand may be squished. However too little tension isn't good either, as the body and rifle won't be stable, and recoil will be bouncy - the butt has a jump to the shoulder, and the supporting hand will bear the brunt first.
Scott J

Post by Scott J »

Try this link>>>>>http://vc4hss.com/_Coaches/BF_Slings/BF ... How_To.htm
It"s kinda for beginners , but it shows some good stuff.

Scott
Bob Foth

Post by Bob Foth »

Glad to see VC4HSS has that article archived. I don't think CMP has it anymore?
While it does cover the basics and addresses both sporter and precision, if you read it carefully it has several good high level tips woven in (like most of the material in my coach & athlete clinics).
Combine it with the great info in Tim's response as well.
And, I would adjust the length to get the arm angles right then rotate the position into the stock/buttplate for tightness. I always say make the sling longer or shorter rather than tighter or looser as the tightness includes the body position.

Good quotes from the article that more experienced shooters can explore include:

[i]"Getting the details right will make the sling more effective and allow you to shoot perfect scores"

"...consider using alternatives to a standard sling holder, as many of them are too long and allow the sling to rest too low on the arm. Sometimes you can wrap the straps around the sling instead of using a hook."

"The sling should come from the center of the arm (not the inside, where it is likely to pick up a pulse) and then pass around the back of the wrist and hand without cutting into the wrist."

"Use sling attachment hardware that does not cause metal parts to put pressure points on your hand. Often smaller is better. Some pieces can be bent to fit the shape of your hand. You may be surprised to find that turning your handstop around backwards can be more comfortable than forwards. This can shift the forces from the area between thumb and index finger to the sling pressing the whole hand against the bottom of the stock."[/i]
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Bob --- I'd NEVER throw away any of your stuff!
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Thanks everyone. I will read thru this stuff and learn it. I just figured there was a video out there I could watch to give a visual with what I read.
Irishshooter

Post by Irishshooter »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvPelgT ... B&index=17
Watch all 22 of these, always good to get the basics right, this one 17 deals with sling.
Hope it helps