Converting Ruger MkII to FP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tangohammerli

Converting Ruger MkII to FP

Post by Tangohammerli »

I am considering modifying one of my MKII Rugers for
FP. As I understand it can be loaded for single shot only per rules. My intent is to introduce a lock to keep the bolt closed, eliminating the semi auto function. I have a Shilen blank that I will reduce and install a front sight on.
Has anyone else tried this or a similar project?
My Marvel 1911 conv. Is very capable of 1/2 groups at 50m as well.
spektr

Re: Converting Ruger MkII to FP

Post by spektr »

Make it easy.....Have a good sharp set of sights and only put 1 round in the magazine at a time.
For giggles, I have shot my High Standard Supermatic that way and
it did a pretty nice job. There is more than enough time to shoot it this way.

OTOH

Free Pistols are becoming available quite reasonably..........
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

My Ruger lower was done by Volquartzen 10 or 12 years ago. Barrels to choose from, on hand, 5.5 bull and 6 7/8 gvt target. Need better rear sight and I'm off on the least expensive route I have available.
BEA

Post by BEA »

Locking the bolt closed will cause the recoil impulse to be much higher and it will be harder to be accurate/consistent. This is especially the case with a pistol that sits higher in your hand, such as the Ruger. The consistency of your grip fit and your resistance to the recoil will become much more important. I agree with spektr, use the mags with one shot and allow the pistol action to absorb some of the recoil.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

Mind you this a work in progress with no expectation of a completion date.. I might find a Toz 35 before I'm done anyway.
I will keep in mind the recoil aspects as described above..
jackh

Post by jackh »

I did the same in the early 70s with a 7.25" High Standard (the fluted barrel) We gripped it with a huge wad of wood dough molded around my hand. My coach and mentor was LTC Miller
JKR

Post by JKR »

It would be very tedious to single load a Ruger. Best route would be to use the magazine. You can get a new TOZ for around 500 now. You can use your creative skills to fashion a grip!

Jim
divingin

Post by divingin »

Is there a rule in FP that would disallow the extraction and ejection on a Ruger?

In my mind (though I haven't shot a sanctioned FP match), you should be able to use it standard if you loaded a single round per magazine, no?

It might bother the guy on your right, but that seems to be what ISSF is trying to do anyway, what with all the music and screaming and stuff.