Leg Tension Standing Air Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jscot111

Leg Tension Standing Air Rifle

Post by jscot111 »

How much leg tension should I have shooting standing AR ? If I relax my muscles my npa changes and I seem to sway more.
Scott
brhsfrench

Re: Leg Tension Standing Air Rifle

Post by brhsfrench »

The least amount of tension in which you can keep yourself upright and on target. In theory, the legs should be as relaxed as possible, but most shooters have some minor tension. Your body will also continue to balance your body on your feet, you can't really stop that without falling over.

You may want to look into your hip placement. I include a check of my hip rotation in my shot process, since even small variations in the rotation of your front hip with regards to the firing line influences balance drastically.

Hope that helps!
Pat McCoy

Re: Leg Tension Standing Air Rifle

Post by Pat McCoy »

How much tension do you have in your legs when you just stand in a line, or stand and talk to someone? That's all you need, as you don't sway or fall down then.

Try standing up like talking to someone, then raise your arms to shooting position. Shouldn't be any need to change leg tension if you are balanced. You will have to slide your upper body away from the target slightly (to maintain the balanced position with the weight of the rifle).