Any advice re an LP5?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Walnut92

Any advice re an LP5?

Post by Walnut92 »

A friend is looking to acquire a reasonably-priced match pistol, and has seen a 2003 boxed LP5. As he is a recreational shooter the 5-shot mech appeals.

Is there anything specific to consider on this model when buying s/h, aside obvious checks for air leaks and so on? It does come with 3 cylinders so he’ll check dates etc.

Also, does the 5-shot affect feel? Without knowing much about it, I’m assuming it must do so as somehow the whole action of pulling and releasing the trigger has to advance the mag?

Thanks.
David Levene

Re: Any advice re an LP5?

Post by David Levene »

Don't expect the LP5 trigger to be as good as the single shot Steyrs, it isn't.

The trigger doesn't advance the magazine, that is done by air releasing a small indexing catch.

Remember that you can't load 5 pellets for an ISSF air pistol match. You can just put one pellet in a 5-shot magazine or you can buy a single shot magazine (much easier to use).
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

Ah, clever re the air advance, which makes better sense. Thanks for feedback, you confirm what I suspected.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

They break easily because of bad manipulation of the 5 pellet carrier, but they are fun when used for rapid fire. I've seen a few people using them for precision shooting. If your friend is a "recreational" shooter he will see no difference in precission.
Ramon
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

Thanks Ramon, makes sense on both counts.