Decapping Lapula 32 S&W Long

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jabberwo

Decapping Lapula 32 S&W Long

Post by jabberwo »

Hi,

Anyone else having issues de-priming their Lapula 32 S&W Long brass? I just bought a Lee die set and the decapping rod pops each time. I asked Lee and just got back "Lapua brand brass usually has undersized flash holes". They recommend resizing the flash hole or filing down the rod. Hadn't heard of this issue despite thinking I had read every 32 thread on the forum (learning lots!).

thanks,
Jab
Spencer

Re: Decapping Lapula 32 S&W Long

Post by Spencer »

Had not considered that...
Over the years I have had this problem (only occasionally) - a bummer when the spent primer comes part way out to jam up the system when
- the primer feed can't, then
- the casing gets to the seating die, then can't get out of the shell plate.
I haven't had this problem for a while, but am not loading Lapua brass now.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

That's just plain bullshit.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you have a drill index of numbered drills, you can probably use them as a feeler gauge to check the flash hole size on a fired case. Interestingly enough, SAAMI doesn't spec flash hole size along with other cartridge case dimensions. Nor is it called out on their specs on primer pocket dimensions.

You can probably make a viable decapping pin from the shank of an appropriate sized drill.
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

decades ago I had the same situation with Herter's brass, don't remember how I decapped them, but then just drilled them out, deburred flash holes, no more problem

Post by 1066 »

I think the Redding universal decap die will do the job for you. You can get the small pin used for the 6mmbr Lapua cases to fit the die. Small pin measures .06"

https://www.redding-reloading.com/onlin ... pping-dies
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Herter's! Boy, that's a name I haven't heard in a VERY long time. They went bankrupt in 1981. I used to love their catalogs, where they sold "the best" of all sorts of gear. I think they got done in by truth in advertising laws and the Gun Control Act of 1968 that shut down a lot of their mail order gun sales.
High Left

Post by High Left »

Just saw Herters ammo at Bass Pro.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Somebody must have bought the rights to the name. Either that or they found a stash of 40 year old ammo...
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Cabela's has been selling Herter's-branded ammo for years. I believe it is Sellier and Bellot in a Herter's box.