Morini CM84e front sight width

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gimgim

Morini CM84e front sight width

Post by gimgim »

What's the stock width of the front sight? I have bought a used pistol and it came with a chunk of metal 6mm wide.
Yesterday I couldn't put a single shot on the bullseye, both because of the bloop tube and the wide sight (I hope :-) ).

The 3.5mm on my Toz, at 50 yards has the same width of the bullseye.
Curious why/how would anybody use something much wider.

I have machined a delrin 3.5mm sight and mounted the bloop tube all the way back (nice feature, BTW), trying again tomorrow...
FWB_700_Alu

Re: Morini CM84e front sight width

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

Mine measures 5.07 mm from the Factory.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

How do you aim with it? Do you align the rear sight to the whole target?
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

my fwb100 came with a 3.8mm front sight and it was too big. i bought a new 3mm front sight and now it's fine
rear sight cannot open more than 3.8mm
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

FWB_700_Alu wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:20 am Mine measures 5.07 mm from the Factory.
From the manual, it looks like 5mm is the standard width. They list the following sizes as being available: 3.5 - 4.0 - 4.5 - 5.0 - 5.5 - 6.0 mm. The 5.0 width is shown in bold, which I'm guessing is the default.

I can measure mine in a bit & will report back. I don't recall buying a different width, but I've had it for a very long time. Whatever I have now is a good match to the width of the black at 50 yards, and it works pretty well on a 50 feet reduced target too.

On the "bloop tube": mine came fully forward, and tended to lead up over time. I got tired of cleaning it (which was a pain unless you want to remove it & possibly have to re-zero every time), and moved it to the rear so the front was flush with the muzzle. Never had any reason to switch back. I think somebody posted a while back about using a coating designed to allow easy clean up of welding spatter, but I've never tried it.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> moved it to the rear so the front was flush with the muzzle

This is what I did, my skills couldn't handle the extra length.
Mine was full of lead as well, but cleaning it wasn't terrible (once detached from the barrel).

> Whatever I have now is a good match to the width of the black at 50 yards, and it works pretty well on a 50 feet reduced target too.

I am curious, thanks. For me it's the 3.5mm that matches the width of the scaled down target at 50 yards.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you are basing that on the Toz, I think the sight radius is shorter, which will require a narrower front sight. It will also depend a bit on how long your arms are. My front sight might be a tad wider than the black since I move it back, but not enough to be annoying. The black is fuzzy, so it's not a precise size.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> If you are basing that on the Toz, I think the sight radius is shorter, which will require a narrower front sight

Once the bloop tube is moved all the way to the back, the dimension of the two pistols are not that different.

Went again to shoot today and with the delrin narrow front sight and a narrow rear matching the Toz I was finally able to zero the pistol.
I need to adjust the trigger now, but it is way better.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think some forget that the front sight changes size, depending whether you look at the sight or at the target.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

How do you aim with it? Do you align the rear sight to the whole target?

I area aim and put the black above the middle of the front sight just like I do with every other pistol. I have never found any need to match the sight width to the black of the target. Just curious, how do you aim at a target that is all black, like a Rapid fire target? The sights are not the same size as the black.
My air pistol used a 6.5 mm front sight. I have no problems with a sight bigger than the black. I want a 6mm sight for my free pistol, the 5mm is too small.
Maybe I have got it wrong and the secret to improving my scores is to match the width of the sight to the black of the target. But which part of the furry black blob that is the black do I match my sight width to?
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> I think some forget that the front sight changes size, depending whether you look at the sight or at the target.

I was comparing and shooting both pistols side by side :-)

> I area aim and put the black above the middle of the front sight just like I do with every other pistol.

Same here, but (may be I just got used to it) for me finding the middle is easier if the widths of black and front sight (roughly) match.
Think of having a front sight that is 10x wider than what you have, wouldn't it be much more distracting finding its middle?

> My air pistol used a 6.5 mm front sight.

I guess I need to check the Evo10 now to see why it was not an issue with that one.
David M

Post by David M »

Depending on barrel length, target distance, front and rear sight position and type of hold.
This sight picture is good for 50m, 25m and 10m slowfire precission shooting.
Sight Pictures.jpg
Sight Pictures.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

The sub 6 hold is best image because the black sight does not touch the black target and blurr the vertical position.
The ideal for a sub 6 o'clock hold is a foresight width between 70 - 100 % of target black image and a ratio of 2 to 1 for the apparent width of rear to front sight.
Set it up with equal light gaps and the fore sight making a square image.
Optimum Sub-Six Sight Picture.gif
Optimum Sub-Six Sight Picture.gif (8.04 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
Front sight width at 70% of black centre
sight 70%.jpg
sight 70%.jpg (11.26 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

Front sight width at 100% of black centre
Sight 100%.jpg
Sight 100%.jpg (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The advantage of the three equal distance arrangement is that it has a lot of symmetry, which the brain & visual system are very good at recognizing. With training, you can view this symmetrical pattern as ONE entity, and not three separate pieces. You train your subconscious muscle movement to try to achieve and maintain that pattern, instead of thinking about and trying to move all the pieces individually. The difference is subtle, but when you can get it to work, it offloads the brain a bit.

I learned about this at a coaching clinic at the US Olympic Center several years ago. I've been working on it sporadically since then in my own shooting, as well as adding it to my coaching. I haven't found any down side to it, and it seems to require less concentration when you can get your brain to process the image that way.