Best pellet redux...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Best pellet redux...

Post by Rover »

I hadn't seen any questions about the "best pellet" on here in a couple of weeks so I decided to check things out.

I did an "advanced search" in Olympic Pistol for "best pellet". There were 3252 responses, covering 163 "pages." This doesn't count the others.

Have we gotten this figured out yet, or are we still searching for that elusive "best pellet"? Inquiring minds want to know!
Azmodan

Re: Best pellet redux...

Post by Azmodan »

if you search for "best pellet" it will return any post that have "best" and "pellet" words..but not particularly linked together :)
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Just buy RWS Basics and don't worry about it. Spend the time you save training.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I'll bite. I'm running a junior air rife program at our local club; everyone is pretty much at beginner level with club-supplied entry level pcp rifles. The guy who ran it previously stocked up on several K of Gamo training pellets. Consistency is nightmarish, with lots of crushed skirts, etc. Even in unskilled hands with a low level air rifle, putting some Basics into the kids' hands made a substantial difference (we started kids on sandbags to work on sight alignment and trigger control). I think the quality and importance curve starts out pretty steep, but plateaus fairy quickly once you get into "decent" pellets. Huge difference between Crosman and Gamo at one end and RWS at the other. Once you get into a quality manufacturer I'm not seeing any reason to go up even one step on the quality ladder until skills are really advanced...much more advanced than my skills.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Azmodan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 am if you search for "best pellet" it will return any post that have "best" and "pellet" words..but not particularly linked together :)
That makes ALL the difference!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Azmodan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 am if you search for "best pellet" it will return any post that have "best" and "pellet" words..but not particularly linked together :)
You're absolutely right!

So I did a search just using the word pellets, and it came up with 298 pages; almost double the previous search.
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

I may be wrong, but it might be possible for the Admins to set the phpBB to allow "exact phrase search'' which would then allow users to enclose an expression in quote to search for it, not just any of the constituent words.

This post provides some details: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=759665
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've really wished for this for a long time. From the link, they have to have the software behind the scenes set up just right in order to implement this. I have no idea if the TargetTalk system is set up properly to add this feature. I certainly hope so...

What I also run into (that this would fix, presumably) is the software's "common" word limit. If you search for 'IZH .22', for example, it ignores the .22 part because it is too common. If the whole phrase is put in quotes, it shouldn't have a problem (maybe).
Walnut92

Post by Walnut92 »

I believe that you're right - the quotes should make such a phrase searchable without it tripping the 'too common' alarm.

I'm no IT expert but I suspect that you can add certain character sets, such as .177 .22 etc to the exclusion list.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

In my opinion the “best pellet” is the one you have most confidence in at any given time.
I have found that confidence makes more extra points than the brand of pellets.
Rover

Post by Rover »

deadeyedick wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:49 am In my opinion the “best pellet” is the one you have most confidence in at any given time.
I have found that confidence makes more extra points than the brand of pellets.
Of course you're right, but that hasn't stopped folks from asking "The Question" on here hundreds of times.
jckstrthmghty

Post by jckstrthmghty »

What? I can't just buy a better score if pay 10x more for my pellets?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

What you want is optically-guided, gyro-stabilized pellets. The technology is coming, but I'm afraid it will cost about !,000,000X, even after they get the bugs out & ramp up production....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwinHU4iDmo